Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone read the book 1984? What other science fiction books would you recommend?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
    A Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    I, Robot - Isaac Asimov (this has very little to do with that dogturd of a Will Smith vehicle)
    Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut

Those are sci-fi movies with social commentary rather like Nineteen Eighty Four.

Which is science fiction by the way.

Oh and you could try The Time Traveller by HG Wells.
    I actually want all of those books. I've read good things about them. I haven't heard of a Brave New World though. I'll look in to them.

I'm in book reading mode. Haven't read a book since I was 15, The Da Vinci Code. Great book.

Comment

Pretty much everything Vonnegut wrote is good. Player Piano is a personal favorite of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        I actually want all of those books. I've read good things about them. I haven't heard of a Brave New World though. I'll look in to them.

I'm in book reading mode. Haven't read a book since I was 15, The Da Vinci Code. Great book.
        A Brave New World is somewhat like Nineteen Eighty Four in that it is a dystopian future of state sanctioned class warfare. Different approach to it though, as Aldous Huxley was a massive druggy.

By the way Nineteen Eighty Four is science fiction in the true meaning of the term. You don't need to have spaceships and robots to be sci fi.

Comment

Ooh yeah also read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick.

Comment

havnt read a book in ages, but he last atg one i can remember was about some kids from england who get evacuated during WW2 and there plane crashes and they end up on a desert island and basically its about a power struggle between them im going way back so i cant remember the name.,

Comment

Originally posted by Eggplant Nose View Post
              havnt read a book in ages, but he last atg one i can remember was about some kids from england who get evacuated during WW2 and there plane crashes and they end up on a desert island and basically its about a power struggle between them im going way back so i cant remember the name.,
              Lord of the Flies?

Comment

Yep thats the name, it was in my head but couldnt remember it.

Comment

damn, i see hollywood got in on it, ima have to check this out

Comment

Originally posted by Eggplant Nose View Post
                    LOL my bro just told me about that book yesterday. SP said the name.

I think my bro told me something that their parents died?

Sounds to me like The Blue Lagoon but with more than two people.

Comment

1984 is probably my favorite book. I see alot of people calling it sci fi, personally while it may be sci fi by definition i read it more for the political message behind it. It is that view that makes me love that book so much. Alot of the would be sci fi parts are now a reality, and many of them arent far from being real in the near future.

Some really good recommendations in this thread.

I will add catch 22, animal farm(good and short...), and mothernight. Dont really fit as sci fi, but books i highly recommend.

Comment

Working...
                      X