Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Khan really progressed under Roach?...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Khan really progressed under Roach?...

In his last two fights he hasn't looked as ripped, his speed seems a little slower, his power lower, his defence still open and not to mention he's scared to go for the knockout now.

I know the level of competition is different, but to me he looked better under Harrison.
    Yes
    91.89%
    No
    8.11%
    Last edited by Patty Tanager; 12-17-2010, 09:51 AM.

Amir has been looking better. He looked very good against Malignaggi. The way he countered Malignaggis jab and etc. His foot work has improved alot.

I know what youre thinking. Amir left himself open too much in his fight against Maidana and let that right hand of his connect too many times on his face. I genuinly believe that Amir wanted to show the world that he he is as strong as Maidana and therefore went toe to toe at times. There were times where Amir went backwards on a straight line.

He is still an unfinished article. Amir has never been a good defensive fighter so its gonna take time to make his defense good. But Roach also improved his offensive game with the side stepping and throwing combos from different angles.

Comment

Originally posted by Patty Tanager View Post
      In his last two fights he hasn't looked as ripped, his speed seems a little slower, his power lower, his defence still open and not too mention he's scared to go for the knockout now.

I know the level of competition is different, but to me he looked better under Harrison.
      He did weights and use to go in with a built, and toned upper half. His legs however were weak.

Looking strong doesn't mean you are. Look at Bradley compared to Maidana.

I'd rather get hit by Berto than Maidana.

As for has he improved, Roach suggested a move to 140 because he felt it would be better for Khan since Khan is tall and wide, not lanky.

First great improvement was his advice on that.

Secondly the sparring Khan gets is a lot higher.

Thirdly Roach always talks to Khan on the pads etc... Khan listens and repeats. Roach also has made him have a much stronger jab.

Also Roach has made him use mroe tactics in the ring, which he needs to beat the better guys.

Before Khan use to go forward and attack and beat most of them. He never really had a game plan of circling etc... he just went with the flow. Now he's definitely holding his hands up and doing something with his brain.

Looking strong doesn't mean ****. Punches come from legs, waist and arms. A 6 pack is just low body fat /water content in your cells and hard training, doesn't mean you'll have stamina.

Comment

hes defo learnt more about angles n using feet alot better.

Comment

He has improved he got hit by loads of uppercuts though i dunno why Roach didn't help him stop this

Comment

Originally posted by COCO jr View Post
            He has improved he got hit by loads of uppercuts though i dunno why Roach didn't help him stop this
            If you ever hit big pads down below, it's often harder to get full power so close up.

I can punch hooks faster and mroe powerful than pads that are body height and close up when I train.

There's less hip action that close, that's why Khan bent forward I am guessing. Sparring kinda teaches you how hard certain punches are.

A hookf rom far has snap and speed, a uppercut from close has a thudding power, but not KO power. A good uppercut is ones thatland from a lil further away.

Comment

I see lot's of improvement in amir and his offensive game. Forget the last couple rounds, just watch how sharp and explosive he was early. That first round was an eye opener for me. I never saw him look that good. I'm not his fan, that's just my observation.

Comment

Physically he's improved tenfold imo. Technically, there are still gaping holes in his game but at least now he is entering fights with good gameplans and attempting to stick to them as long as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by S.G. View Post
                  Physically he's improved tenfold imo. Technically, there are still gaping holes in his game but at least now he is entering fights with good gameplans and attempting to stick to them as long as possible.
                  Good post. Amir has improved physically and that is down to Ariza. Roach is great at game plans and picking opponents but I have to say that I have not been impressed with Amir's technical improvement. His offense is better his left hook and left hook to the body is much better but his defense does not seem to have got better and he has beren hit way too much in the last 2 fights. Manny is a physical freak with a super offence but his defence is lacking but he gets away with it. It just seems as though Roach does not work on defense enough. Maybe that is why he has ended up with Parkinsons.

Comment

yes he has, yes he has, UNTIL he gets hit........ then he goes back to what his muscle memory is and his survival instinct, which isnt anything roach teaches for defense or self preservation.......

Comment

Working...
                    X