Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salvador Sanchez at 130.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Azuma fought well and for a substitute did a great job. However he was over whelmed by Chavo at the end. The main difference between the fighters is technique, Chavo was one of the best all time talents. High skill level and far above average intelligence.
    Ray

I doubt he goes above 130, maybe to 135 but he was a realively small guy other than being broad shoulder.
    Only being 5'6" lightweights are usually longer and lanker than feathers.
    However he could fight at welter "today" giving the size of the "peanut weights" currently.
    Last edited by Ray Corso; 08-19-2015, 02:34 PM.

Comment

My dad and I argue about this to this day, but I believe Sanchez would have beaten Arguello for the lightweight title

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        sonyb2............"What happened against Pat Cowdell" ?

After loosing to Sanchez he went on to get stopped 2 or 3 times before retiring! Is that the same Cowdell that you think beat Sanchez? HA!
        Ray
        You must be thinking of someone else mate!.. Cowdell was nothing special, his style was terrible to watch, yet he and Sanchez fought a 15rd split-decision fight, which was hurtful to the eyes watching it. Sanchez is very overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
          My dad and I argue about this to this day, but I believe Sanchez would have beaten Arguello for the lightweight title
          Arguello would have destroyed Sanchez

Comment

Azuma fought well and for a substitute did a great job. However he was over whelmed by Chavo at the end. The main difference between the fighters is technique, Chavo was one of the best all time talents. High skill level and far above average intelligence.
            Ray

I doubt he goes above 130, maybe to 135 but he was a realively small guy other than being broad shoulder.
            However he could fight at welter "today" giving the size of the "peanut weights" currently.
            what a load of shyte you talk

Comment

A boxer with that last name today who sometimes gets away with fouls could be called "Dirty Sanchez."

Comment

Sanchez had a bad style for Arguello to have to deal with. The slender man threw devastating punches at those standing in front of him where Sally would seldom be. Like Louis, IMO, Arguello's feet were not as wonderful as his hands. If they had been, he might be the GOAT. Sally's feet were equal to his hands in education--they both had a Phd.

Sonny has utilized an "old faithful" of human nature. When our heros die before their time we immortalize them in a special way, from Hendrix to Sanchez. Indeed we are sometimes guilty of over-honoring them among their peers. We think of the riffs not yet played, the punches never thrown, and we pine for what might have been, we feel the loss personally. Sometimes our private pining is ridiculous. I am guilty of pining for Cerdan and what might have been, and I was not even alive yet when he was killed! Ridiculous, I know.

Placing Sanchez among the top 5 all time feathers seems reasonable to me, but probably arguable as well. I am rather convinced that the only reason it is arguable at all is Sally's early death. He is like a great mathematician who died before he could complete his proof. Yet, there is enough on his desk for others to easily finish for him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  Sanchez had a bad style for Arguello to have to deal with. The slender man threw devastating punches at those standing in front of him where Sally would seldom be. Like Louis, IMO, Arguello's feet were not as wonderful as his hands. If they had been, he might be the GOAT. Sally's feet were equal to his hands in education--they both had a Phd.

Sonny has utilized an "old faithful" of human nature. When our heros die before their time we immortalize them in a special way, from Hendrix to Sanchez. Indeed we are sometimes guilty of over-honoring them among their peers. We think of the riffs not yet played, the punches never thrown, and we pine for what might have been, we feel the loss personally. Sometimes our private pining is ridiculous. I am guilty of pining for Cerdan and what might have been, and I was not even alive yet when he was killed! Ridiculous, I know.

Placing Sanchez among the top 5 all time feathers seems reasonable to me, but probably arguable as well. I am rather convinced that the only reason it is arguable at all is Sally's early death. He is like a great mathematician who died before he could complete his proof. Yet, there is enough on his desk for others to easily finish for him.
                  Excellent post, i actually seen quite a lot of film of Cerdan back in 1977. it was old 16mm reels played onto a white sheet while sat in a darkened room. Joe Frazier & Bob Foster fights were also shown. Yet we came away talking only about Marcel Cerdan the whole journey home.. What a fighter!

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                    Arguello would have destroyed Sanchez
                    do you really believe the garbage you post or are you really this stupid?

Comment

Ray

Of course he was overwhelmed. He was fighting on eight days notice in his 13th pro bout. He gassed at the end pretty bad. A rematch would've been very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                      X