Anthony Joshua Calls Out Wilder On ESPN First Take

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Joshua Calls Out Wilder On ESPN First Take

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25525971

“My situation is that - [Wilder’s] saying that I won’t fight him. As I’ve said, I’m willing to fight Deontay Wilder April 13th in London. So I don’t know what more I have to do to get that message across. He’s more interested in fighting Tyson Fury. Tyson Fury holds no world titles.

“Let me say this, I can’t control what Deontay Wilder, I can’t control what Tyson Fury does — or even as far as what they say. But what I can control is what I say and what I’m doing. I made sure, with the negotiations, I’ve booked the date in advance, set the venue in advance, and I’m making my point clear in front of everyone watching: I’m willing to fight any one of these guys, especially the champion Deontay Wilder, April 13th at Wembley. What more can I say?

“I’m not interested in Tyson Fury, though, ‘cause he’s not the champion. That’s where I’m coming from. But that ‘lineal’ status, when I was joining the heavyweight ranks no one told me about lineal champion. I knew about WBC, IBO, IBF, WBA, and WBO, and I’ve got my hands on four of them. So I don’t know where this lineal just popped out of the woodworks from.

“But if I’ve got to get my hands on that too, and that’s a belt that the world’s interested in [Editor’s Note: There’s no actual lineal belt], then Fury can step in if he’s serious. That’s where I’m coming from, I wanna fight the champions. I’m the one leading the pack, I’ve been doing that since I made my debut. Five years in, seven world title defenses, and I’m running the game. I mean business. And I don’t know what more I got to do to get that message across to the world.

“As I’ve said, maybe because I’m not on here with ice around my neck, flashing jewels and talking about PPV numbers — that’s not really my swag, you know what I’m saying — but I handle my business, that’s where I’m coming from. I’m about my business and I do that in the ring.”

As I mentioned in a similar thread I just made, I like this version of Joshua. None of the PR crap, straight talking some shyte for once. Good stuff. He's not likely getting Wilder or Fury next, but better than what we have been hearing from him.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
      As I mentioned in a similar thread I just made, I like this version of Joshua. None of the PR crap, straight talking some shyte for once. Good stuff. He's not likely getting Wilder or Fury next, but better than what we have been hearing from him.
      Joshua has learned to watch what he says, or he will be called on it. Things such as offer $50 million and I will sign the contract tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by JWHardin View Post
        Joshua has learned to watch what he says, or he will be called on it. Things such as offer $50 million and I will sign the contract tomorrow.
        But it started way before that. He avoids anything controversial. I remember there was a picture of him in a mosque and when asked about it, he avoided those questions. And then obviously in his interviews he always would give the company answer.

And hey, he's arguably the biggest star in boxing and a huge mega star in his home country so whatever he is doing is working. Looks like he's going to let loose a bit more now.

Comment

The whole timing of this thing stinks. Why does he want to fight Wilder now? He's saving face because he knows that Deontay has no intentions of fighting him; Not just yet at the moment anyway because of some important business he still has with Tyson Fury.

Joshua is well aware of this fact, that is why he waited after a potential fight of the year candidate; When there is talk of a rematch to challenge Wilder all of sudden. What happened several months prior when he turned down a record setting purse of $80 mil to fight Deontay Wilder?

What a bitch and a coward?

Comment

But can't you see that it is easier for him to say this now since Team Wilder is unlikely to call his bluff or take the bait this time as opposed to the last time; Where, Deontay was so thirsty for that fight, that he was willing, to literally sign away his life, just in order to get it. This time the "Bronze Bomber" ain't on no hustle. He has several options and opportunities available to him now. If Fury challenges and defeats Joshua, then Fury will be more than willing to give a Deontay a shot at all the titles anyway. So really Wilder doesn't need Joshua for anything.

Comment

But it started way before that. He avoids anything controversial. I remember there was a picture of him in a mosque and when asked about it, he avoided those questions. And then obviously in his interviews he always would give the company answer.

And hey, he's arguably the biggest star in boxing and a huge mega star in his home country so whatever he is doing is working. Looks like he's going to let loose a bit more now.
              I sincerely hope he does. He has taken a huge amount of criticism mostly because of Hearn, because he won't take control of his own career. He needs to remind Hearn he works for Joshua, not the other way around.

Taking the Povetkin fight instead of Wilder's offer was 100% Hearn wanting more money and I'm sure assuring AJ the Wilder fight will be there in April. All has backfired, and AJ's reputation has taken a huge hit. (outside of the UK at least). His career is still young, so not a big deal as far as that goes. He might take Wilder apart, who knows? We all just want to see it. If Fury beats Wilder in the rematch, we may never see it. I think Fury has a better chance to beat AJ than Wilder, in my opinion, but predict both would win. I think Ortiz has a legitimate shot also if they fight soon.

Comment

"I don't know where this lineal popped out the woodwork from"

Really?! YDKSAB...

Comment

He know the rematch is next.

Comment

I don't like this sort of things, fighters should do their talking in the ring. Let the people that represent you do the talking. And then they need to sit down together and work out deals. Not i want to fight you, i don't care about money or location, give me this amount and i would fight you tomorrow etc that we got from these two.

Comment

Working...
                    X