Oscar De La Hoya was hugely overrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar De La Hoya was hugely overrated

Change my mind?

Always came up short against legitimate world level compeititors and got his ass beat 6 times.

When you take into account his many gift decisions his L's would be double figures.

His biggest achievement was sharing a ring with TBE.

you are so wrong....he didn't get every decision he deserved

He beat Trinidad, He beat Mayweather and he didn't get either of those decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by ralex View Post
      you are so wrong....he didn't get every decision he deserved

He beat Trinidad, He beat Mayweather and he didn't get either of those decisions.
      No he didn't beat Floyd. Yes, he did beat Tito.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        No he didn't beat Floyd. Yes, he did beat Tito.
        I've watched it 5 times and Oscar won every time.

Either way, it was close.

Bottom line is though, Oscar was not overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ox View Post
          Change my mind?

Always came up short against legitimate world level compeititors and got his ass beat 6 times.

When you take into account his many gift decisions his L's would be double figures.

I was more of a casual fan of boxing when Oscar was competing but I do remember feeling like he always lost every time a big fight came up. The media kept telling us how great he was but every time a super fight came up involving Oscar De La Hoya he would usually lose.

During his prime Oscar was overrated but I think now that people get to look back on his career they have a more realistic view of where Oscar places among the greatest boxers of all time.

Comment

Casuals aren't allowed in this thread

Comment

You obviously want him to win. But he didn't and that isn't a knock on him. I agree he isn't over rated.

Comment

That just means you watched the fight five times and STILL don't know how to score a boxing match. Oscar was ineffective with a lot of his aggression. Most people don't know that a punch landed on the arms and gloves DOES NOT count as a landed blow, and I'm assuming you are one of those people. A punch only counts if it is landed clearly on the face or on the stomach and chest area of the body.

Watch the fight again while only counting punches landed on the face, chest, or stomach and you will see Floyd clearly beat Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
                  That just means you watched the fight five times and STILL don't know how to score a boxing match. Oscar was ineffective with a lot of his aggression. Most people don't know that a punch landed on the arms and gloves DOES NOT count as a landed blow, and I'm assuming you are one of those people. A punch only counts if it is landed clearly on the face or on the stomach and chest area of the body.

Watch the fight again while only counting punches landed on the face, chest, or stomach and you will see Floyd clearly beat Oscar.
                  I'm not claiming that Oscar was robbed, I could see how you scored that fight in favor of Floyd but I think Oscar won enough rounds. Clearly it was a close fight and definitely shows how great of a fighter Oscar was and that's what this thread is about....whether or not he was overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ox View Post
                    Change my mind?

how so?

his 1st 2 losses was to trinidad and shane mosley.... nothing the shame there

and his last 4 losses came towards the end of his career almost

so you probably think that sugar ray robinson sucked cuz he lost 19 fights

Comment

Working...
                    X