Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 03-25-2020, 07:26 AM #11
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Rusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 90,900.53

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeau2 View Post
Wilder landed, Fury got back up... its perpetual and no one fight defines the interplay because it has to do with probability. And of course punchers are going to connect, but to have that connection work to its full capacity...a KO takes a few moving parts... Kind of like trying to plug a coffee maker in on a boat that is in a whirlpool, where you get the metal prongs to touch a bit, maybe get part of the plug in and sploosh, out it goes again. But when the plug goes in the power is there.

Its better understood when we watch fighters who are not considered great, but have that ability. lamont Brewster is a great example. He stops Golota looking like Dempsey! then starts losing on points to guys... Shanon Briggs who beat a guy with a punch in the last round!

Punchers have to have the opportunities. The old time guys were really smart and knew this, they were thinking with quantum physics, so to speak. It is how BlackBurn trained Louis! Not to worry, not to rush, just do the proper machinations and in any given fight the chances will be created by cutting the ring down.

Louis kept winning doing this. He even beat Conn with the same law of opportunity costs.

Now before you go into some angle about Louis this and that, and anyone else mentioned...try to understand the point about the puncher versus the boxer. The puncher needs more time on average to make sure he gets a certain amount of opportunities. I know you Rusty! You are going to talk about Conn and what he did, and about who beat this guy and Louis losing to schmelling... So please try to understand the skill and techique it takes to be consistent and confident in the way Louis was trained. Thats my point here.

BlackBurn understood the concept of opportunity cost.
Was that meant for me?
Rusty Tromboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:28 AM #12
Undisputed Champion

Rusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old LefHook View Post
The neighborhood of 5'11". 200 lbs. are still the perfect dimensions for a heavyweight.

Wilder KO'd a bunch of scrubs and got absolutely no one excited with it. Tyson Phony could not punch his way out of a cobweb, and cheated constantly to beat Wilder. He only put his fist halfway inside the glove to increase his reach, enabling himself to punch with a part of the glove filled with less padding.

He constantly rubbed his open glove in Wilder's face. But why believe me, check the replay, halfwits.

Dempsey, Louis, Marciano and Tyson are the most feared and revered heavyweights of all time, and the toughest, I assure you, by buggery. All would KO Fury in a fair fight. Besides that, Phony is a steroid cheater, as the farmer has stepped forward to announce that he sold no wild boar meat to the gypsy. Is Phony comfortable in a ring? Sure, but so what, he cheats constantly.
This is either hilarious or completely ******ed. So my apologies, but are you being facetious?
Old 03-25-2020, 10:14 AM #13
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 10289 Post(s)
GhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,756.97
Total Points: 355,943.34
Top Rated Poster - ironmt Here Is to another great post - ironmt For calling it like it is - 1bad65 Great comment, sir. - Tony Trick-Pony Great points, man - Tony Trick-Pony 
:lol1: - Szef Well said, man - Tony Trick-Pony Great post, man! - Tony Trick-Pony Great memes. - Santa_ Respect Due. - travestyny 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
But when have you seen a guy who was that bad make it that far in any other weight division?

Dob you think his fight with Loughran would've been so competitive if they were the same size?
That has been my position on the HW division from the beginning. Most heavyweights are not very good boxers, so when you do have one with some level of skill, they are usually successful. This is also why heavyweights rarely if ever end up on my P4P list, because their skills would rarely carry down to lower weight classes. Ali fighting with his hands at his sides and leaning back from punches as a lightweight or welterweight would have been catastrophic for him. But in a division full of slow, lumbering HWs with limited footwork, speed and defense, a fighter like him can flourish. He still had quite a bit of help along the way, but many of his opponents were either smaller, or very limited.

But then I look at a Wlad and his success was mostly due to his size advantage. Big, strong, with a good jab but not much else. At any other weight he would be sparked with that limited skillset. In fact, watch old film of Primo Carnera and you'll notice a striking overall resemblance to Wlad and the way he moves and fights.
GhostofDempsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:21 AM #14
Interim Champion

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Ricky12 has a reputation beyond reputeRicky12 has a reputation beyond reputeRicky12 has a reputation beyond reputeRicky12 has a reputation beyond reputeRicky12 has a reputation beyond reputeRicky12 has a reputation beyond reputeRicky12 has a reputation beyond reputeRicky12 has a reputation beyond reputeRicky12 has a reputation beyond reputeRicky12 has a reputation beyond reputeRicky12 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,245.39
Total Points: 20,066.75

I think the more advantages you have the better.So yes bigger is better.
Ricky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:59 AM #15
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,810.35
Total Points: 46,863.57
To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler 
To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner 
For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr 
Thanks for your continued friendship & for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST Thanks for the tip. - Big Dunn Apologies for any misunderstanding.  Cheers. - HAMMER77777 Merry Christmas - TBear 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
That has been my position on the HW division from the beginning. Most heavyweights are not very good boxers, so when you do have one with some level of skill, they are usually successful. This is also why heavyweights rarely if ever end up on my P4P list, because their skills would rarely carry down to lower weight classes. Ali fighting with his hands at his sides and leaning back from punches as a lightweight or welterweight would have been catastrophic for him. But in a division full of slow, lumbering HWs with limited footwork, speed and defense, a fighter like him can flourish. He still had quite a bit of help along the way, but many of his opponents were either smaller, or very limited.

But then I look at a Wlad and his success was mostly due to his size advantage. Big, strong, with a good jab but not much else. At any other weight he would be sparked with that limited skillset. In fact, watch old film of Primo Carnera and you'll notice a striking overall resemblance to Wlad and the way he moves and fights.
I've been saying this for years, except I've used Vitaly as a comparison more than Wlad.
JAB5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:02 PM #16
Contender

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Willie Pep 229 is a splendid one to beholdWillie Pep 229 is a splendid one to beholdWillie Pep 229 is a splendid one to beholdWillie Pep 229 is a splendid one to beholdWillie Pep 229 is a splendid one to beholdWillie Pep 229 is a splendid one to beholdWillie Pep 229 is a splendid one to behold
Total Points: 11,973.17

Does the old adage "a great biger man will always beat a great smaller man' hold any truth to it?

?????????????????

Although I suspect that adage is relevant to the two men being naturally different size men, whereas it seems this question is asking should a man look to put on more muscle and still fight men his own natural size.

If that is the question, then I would say yes, making yourself stronger is always an advantage.

This new kid coming up big Teofimo Lopez and his likely encounter with Lomachenko may prove an interesting fight regarding this question.

All of the advantages (experience, technique, ETC.) seem to lie with Lomachenko, but that kid Lopez is one of the strongest looking LW's I've seen, and we may very well find out if strength alone is enough.
Willie Pep 229 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:26 PM #17
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 17,499.83
Total Points: 75,246.29
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 Cheers!!!!! - Outworn 

According to most women I've met, yes. But even they have their limits.
Anthony342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:25 PM #18
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

Yeah, but they are also competing against gravity and need more oxygen.

How athletic would a bigger Canto or Gomez really be?

Look at any lower weight fighter whose style changed as he moved through the weight divisions.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:01 AM #19
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
QueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,705.17
Total Points: 126,003.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
In heavyweight boxing does bigger mean better? I have my own opinion on this as I'm sure many of the old timers here know. I'm curious your opinion after reading an article about Wilder-Fury and what Buddy Mcagirt had to say. Here is the gist of it.

"These guys get strength and conditioning coaches who say, 'Oh, I'm going to get you bigger and stronger,'" McGirt said. "OK, but does that mean better?

What is your opinion?
- -You really are quite demonstrably daft to ask such a leading two dimensional question.
QueensburyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:49 AM #20
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
TonyGe has a reputation beyond reputeTonyGe has a reputation beyond reputeTonyGe has a reputation beyond reputeTonyGe has a reputation beyond reputeTonyGe has a reputation beyond reputeTonyGe has a reputation beyond reputeTonyGe has a reputation beyond reputeTonyGe has a reputation beyond reputeTonyGe has a reputation beyond reputeTonyGe has a reputation beyond reputeTonyGe has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,162.96
Total Points: 135,196.41
Old Teddy's depends.  Haha.  Good post. - anthonydavid11 You're a good poster and contributor to this site - desktop 0 I enjoy reading what you write - !a! wise man - !a! keep up the good work - !a! 
Remove dentures--insert into mouth - GhostofDempsey For those lonely nights when gay porn just isn't getting it up for you any more - GhostofDempsey No Message - ^lll No Message - ^lll No Message - ^lll 
No Message - ^lll No Message - ^lll No Message - ^lll No Message - ^lll No Message - ^lll 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
And yet Wilder DID connect on Fury. Twice.

Show me a Heavyweight who put on a better display of pure Boxing than Fury did that night.

Lewis got KO'd by Rahman and McCall.

Ali got decked by guys like Cooper, Wepner and Shavers. He couldn't put away Bugner (who did what besides be big?), but twice stopped little Jerry Quarry and Floyd Patterson who were the most skilled fighters he ever faced.

Louis was stopped by an old Schmeling. He DID catch Conn... but again, SIZE (and experience).

Carnera didn't really beat Loughran (who was also old), but he did far better than many others ever did. And Sharkey actually KO'd Loughran.

Soooo yeah...

Wilder has his warts, but he's absolutely amazing.

To throw you a bone, after putting you in a pickle, I believe Fury would be much better if he were smaller. I think his size is a deficit. Make him Ali's size and you've got yourself a Heavyweight Willie Pep who can punch.

Fury has a 67% KO ratio against his peers.

Fury is 31. Ali was 32 when he fought Frazier in 78. His KO ratio was 68% at that time despite losing his best years for his resistance to the draft.
TonyGe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends