Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Callum Smith Drops Financial Ball in Sidestepping Canelo's 168 Return

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diarraisagod View Post
    If both keep winning GBP is going to have to pay Smith eventually because he's the number 1 guy in the division currently
    He shouldn't be as Ryder whoop his åss, I doubt the Writers Boxing Association will put him as No. 1 after that shameless gift he got last time out.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
      It's not about just taking the first offer, It's looking like Smith flat out demanded Golden Boy doubled their offer. Huge difference. Fighters holding out and trying to squeeze a few extra dollars is one thing but demanding far more then a career payday is exactly why Smith lost the fight. lol Who cares if Golden Boy says they are moving on or not none of that matters it's all Promoter and Negotiation spin. Golden Boy had no urgency to go back to Smith because they had another fighter who willing to fight for less money then Smith was foolishly demanding. And most fans think Smith is the easier fight and lesser opponent not BJS. Hell there is no guarantee Smith will keep winning or ever get another big fight offer he should of got the L his last fight and if he lose any of his next fights. Reports are Canelo's next 3 fights will be BJS, GGG, Murata. BJS already agreed to terms that fight is happening the delay now for it being announced is DAZN is trying to financially come to agreement to land GGG fight in Sept as part of a 3 fight package that will pay Canelo millions on top of his already guaranteed 35M.

Kovalev is in a different position he's a much bigger name and draw in the US and there was a lot of dynamics in play because he had 2 different promoters that needed to be paid off and a mandatory fight he would of had to pay to step aside and last Canelo wanted Kovalev he always wanted that fight to make history. Kovalev himself didn't take home 11M that's how much DAZN paid total his team then split that up with a couple million going to each Top Rank, and his promoter Main Events. If he didn't fight Yarde first then a portion of his payday also would of been paid to have Yarde step aside. It's stupid to ask for money that Kovalev needed to pay off all his promoters and mandatory when Smith doesn't have multiple promoters or a mandatory to pay off and Smith isn't the same draw in the US as Kovalev.

It's not Golden Boy's money and them being cheap they are working off a budget that DAZN has given them. It's DAZN that doesn't want to continue paying these large amounts. At the Canelo/Kovalev press conference DAZN's own EVP said the days of them paying inflated purses are over.

https://boxingjunkie.usatoday.com/20...purses-from-us

“The days of inflated purses are over at DAZN,” Joe Markowski, executive vice president of DAZN, told the Athletic’s Mike Coppinger on Wednesday.

“Like many new entrants to many industries, our tactics (in boxing) were to … play the role of more than a traditional broadcaster in making a fight (and that was by) paying opponents more than their market value. Not anymore,” Markowski said.

“If you’re a guy and you don’t move the needle and you demand X amount of money, we’re going to tell you no thanks,” Markowski stated. “We’re not a money tree that needs to be plucked out by their fighters and their representatives. That message is one that needs to land.”

The message from DAZN was that if you think you getting Jacobs/Kovalev money to fight Canelo no more. And a fighter not on their level came and demanded that same money so he didn't get the fight. It's not Golden Boy's money it's DAZN money and they want to curb inflated purses from B side fighters that don't move the needle that describes Smith perfectly.
      Thank you for bringing this article, I was looking for it myself as ŋdiots here keep on pinning all on GBP/Canelo but I guess they know this, they just play dumb to feed their agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra Curry View Post
        Thanks.

If he's originally asked for 10, surely it's reasonable to think he'd have accepted ~8? It's a negotiation after all.
        Smith is saying he was expecting a bit of back and forth with Golden Boy which never happened.

For me, either fight is fine. I just don't see the need to throw Smith under the bus.
        Why not? he shoots himself on the foot for demanding 10 million, practically pricing himself out and you demand sympathy for this fool!!!?? if nothing else he deserves all the slack coming his way for being such an īdiot! just like ODH said (and I feel Smith's outrageous demand genuinely pīss Oscar off)

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
          Callum Smith would murder BJS.
          May I remind you, BJS beat Ryder the one who beat Callum in his last fight. Furthermore that same Ryder who lost to Rocky Frigging Fielding, who got KOd by Canelo. and so on and so forth. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Fisto View Post
            There is a myth being peddled that Smith turned down some transformative amount that dwarfed any previous payday.

For example, ODLH said, 'Callum Smith turned down the fight and he would have made three to four times the money he has ever made.'

But, for the WBSS final against Groves, ESPN reported that Smith earned 'most of the $10 million purse.'

So, we don't know exact numbers, but we do know that OLDH was stating a clear lie. It sounds like they offered him similar -- perhaps even less -- than he earned for fighting Groves.
            If that was to be the case how come Callum did not clear things out and said I have made more money than that. I think you just pulling numbers out your åss.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
              Just seen Roy Jones about a week ago talk about how he took 60/40 to fight James Toney

These fighters today are not built like that, I think A LOT OF THEM KNOW they're really not that good so they kinda want to continue to get the consistent money meaning that they get $1-2 Million (a lot of them rumored to make even more than that) to beat on guys who pose as no threat rather than to step up for a few more Millions and run the risk of losing and getting embarrassed DESPITE the fact that they would be getting the most money they have ever made in return

Canelo and GBP don't OWE nobody anything, either you take the opportunity and run with it and do everything you can to get the win over Canelo which will go viral and get you instant Viral Headlines or continue to fight John Rydar's of the world and other Domestic UK Level guys for whatever Hearn wants to Pay Him and eventually get upset by one of these lower level guys and ruin any chance of getting a shot and another bigger payday
              ^^^^^^^^^^ at this you're absolutely right on all acounts.

Comment

Originally posted by whoseyourdaddy View Post
                Why not? he shoots himself on the foot for demanding 10 million, practically pricing himself out and you demand sympathy for this fool!!!?? if nothing else he deserves all the slack coming his way for being such an īdiot! just like ODH said (and I feel Smith's outrageous demand genuinely pīss Oscar off)
                I wouldn't go as far as demanding sympathy. Canelo had a choice to make, he chose Saunders, fine. He can't fight both at the same time.

Smith's initial response struck me as a negotiating position rather than take it or leave it, but if he got the lion's share of 10 million for George Groves he can hardly be blamed for expecting a bit more from the cash cow.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                  Disagree with the article. Reportedly, Callum turned down a decent but not great offer, and expected to receive a counteroffer - which is normal in any business. Golden Boy said ehhh and went after BJS. Don't think this qualifies as dropping the ball at all.
                  Rumor has it that it was a 6 million dollar offer. The way that Smith looked against Ryder? 4 million would have been a great offer. Bad move, plain and simple!

Comment

Callum Smith blew a chance to beat Canelo and cash in for the rematch.

What a dummy.

Hearn cost him life changing money.

Comment

Callum shyt the bed, needs to be advised by Al haymon

Comment

Working...
                      X