No announcement yet.

Crawford - massively overhyped

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawford - massively overhyped

Before I say anything else, I think Crawford is a good fighter, but the hype is really getting out of hand. How are people including this guy in their P4P lists? Usually when somebody has a resume as bad as Crawford, they must really blitz through the eye test, but even against the poor competition he's fought, I haven't been that impressed by Crawford.

His standout wins are against midgets half his size and chinny C/D level fighters, even against those guys, he's lost quite a few rounds. You can say he took his time to adjust etc, but should you really need time to adjust against Dulorme and Lundy? The guy hasn't fought a top 15 guy at 140 and people have him top 5 P4P, it's getting beyond ridiculous now.

For me there's just nothing out of the ordinary with Crawford, he's got decent speed and athleticism but that's about it. He's nothing more than a good fighter.

Had to get that off my chest.

I pay no attention to P4P lists. They are useless. All I have to say is Crawford's fights are very entertaining and he is probably among my top 5 fighters to watch.

Comment

The hype he is getting for his resume is definitely ridiculous, beating on midgets from lower weight divisions certainly do not warrant the praise he is getting.

Comment

I agree.

As everyone knows, I'm a Gamboa fan and rate him massively, but let's be honest: Gamboa is tiny, was 2 divisions above where he belongs, was highly inactive and didn't have a trainer and yet he was outboxing Crawford with ease until the size difference slowed him and hurt him....even then, he still rocked Crawford bad later in the fight with one shot.

Crawford is a good fighter, but he's not a special talent. The hype at the moment is every bit as ridiculous as when people were saying Matthysse would knockout everyone in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
          I agree.

As everyone knows, I'm a Gamboa fan and rate him massively, but let's be honest: Gamboa is tiny, was 2 divisions above where he belongs, was highly inactive and didn't have a trainer and yet he was outboxing Crawford with ease until the size difference slowed him and hurt him....even then, he still rocked Crawford bad later in the fight with one shot.

Crawford is a good fighter, but he's not a special talent. At all.
          Spot on. The difference in skill level in that Crawford vs Gamboa fight was very evident.

Comment

I agree.

But I do think he's a good fighter.

He's looked very good against decent opposition. Let's see him against good opposition.

Adrien Broner looked just as good against that level of opposition.

Comment

Crawford has been an exciting fighter lately. And deserves the massive hype however crawford isn't as good as he seems.

Comment

I think his skill in particular is very overrated, he's not this super skilled fighter people seem to think he is. People often confuse athleticism for skill for some reason.

I expect Postol to outbox him and win a clear decision if that fight gets made.

Something tells me Crawford isn't very durable either, I can see him getting viciously stopped, he squares up a lot and gets caught with big shots, luckily he's not fought any dangerous opponents so far.

Comment

Agreed. Crawford's resume at 140 is very underwhelming considering the amount of praise he gets. His resume at 135 is better and he did beat the best guy in the division at the time which was Beltran but 135 was weak and he never unified and he's not making any effort to unify in 140 either.

As for the eye test, Crawford definitely has holes in his game defensively and he's a notorious slow starter but offensively he picks his punches as well as anyone in the sport and he has very good power and balance, not sure if thats enough to warrant a P4P spot but P4P is a joke anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                    I agree.

Crawford is a good fighter, but he's not a special talent. The hype at the moment is every bit as ridiculous as when people were saying Matthysse would knockout everyone in boxing.
                    Co-sign. Gamboa was getting him too, but the size difference was just too much to overcome. This was after a one year layoff too, which is inexcusable by his promoting team to put him in a fight like this against a massive 135 pounder after not fighting for a year. It's damn near criminal how poorly Gamboa has been managed since leaving Top Rank (his own fault, but in his defense he was thinking it was going to be Floyd/50 cent not just Fiddy).

Comment

Working...
                    X