No announcement yet.

How High in the ATG list is Juan Manuel Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 10,000 Days View Post
    I see, where would you rank him among the other Mexican greats?
    On par with morales, and Barrera but behind Sanchez and el grande champion Chavez

He so probably one of the top 15 guys to ever come out of Mexico..

I do think he is one of the most beautiful counter combo punchers I have ever seen and by far the best puncher in terms of shot selection I have seen in the past decade or so

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
      :aor::aor::aor:
      A lot of people think that they were robberies too.

Comment

The chris john loss was not a robbery...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          The chris john loss was not a robbery...
          Neither were the first two Pacquiao fights imo. Very close fights that he could have won but not even close to being robberies.

Comment

Great fighter. Hall of fame career - wouldn't call him an ATG.

His resume would certainly be one the weakest of any ATG I know I think, especially if you're considering the fact that he's never beaten an elite fighter in that fighters prime.

Yes he gave Pacquiao some good fights, but it was never conclusive before he knocked him out as Pacquiao was on a bad run and getting on a bit after 20 years as a pro + there's the steroid thing. It was still a historic win though.

Hall of famer, not ATG.

Comment

One of the greatest fighters of this generation and testament to his great boxing nation.

Top 10 ATG imo.

Comment

He is somewhere at the bottom of the list alongside guys like Tito Trinidad, Benitez, Tyson..

Great fighter, but not even the best of his era let alone all time...
                I'd say this is the best place to put him in the atg

Comment

A late developer that evolved into technically the best Mexican fighter I've seen in a long time.

His skill set exceeded both Morales and Barrera's. But it's big fights which create legends. And whilst Marquez had his against Manny. They never achieved the kind of cultural significance which the epic trio between MAB and Morales generated.

I'm not saying JMM vs Manny was any less intense. It's just that the boxing writers only had eyes for his fellow Mexicans. Whilst Barrera and Morales were Rock'n Roll, Marquez was folk music.

Labels can be hard to lose. It's a measure of Marquez's brilliance that he managed to come through being "that other fighter from Mexico" and garner the recognition he deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                    Great fighter. Hall of fame career - wouldn't call him an ATG.

His resume would certainly be one the weakest of any ATG I know I think, especially if you're considering the fact that he's never beaten an elite fighter in that fighters prime.

Yes he gave Pacquiao some good fights, but it was never conclusive before he knocked him out as Pacquiao was on a bad run and getting on a bit after 20 years as a pro + there's the steroid thing. It was still a historic win though.

Hall of famer, not ATG.
                    Really? I think a resume of:
                    Pacquiao
                    Barrera
                    Casamayor
                    Salido
                    Diaz
                    Medina
                    Gainer
                    Sanchez
                    Peden
                    Alvarez
                    ...plus another five or six champions is not so bad. That's actually a good resume. It's not a great resume, but it is certainly not close to a bad resume. That just gets overdone now. People use the moronic, inane argument 'well, without Pacquiao his resume would be weak'. Yes, well, that might be true, barring the simple fact that he did beat Pacquiao. Take away the best win of any fighter, and their resume will often look weaker. That's what happens when you beat a true ATG.

But, Pac on a bad run? Are you serious? Let's face the simple fact. He annihilated Bradley. Won 9 or 10 rounds and wasn't even remotely close to losing that fight. So let's not start revising history and pretending something that wasn't true.

Pacquiao had beaten over the last three years: Cotto, Clottey, Margarito, Mosley, Marquez and Bradley. A bad run? He'd just come off an easy, clear win over an undefeated young proven champion and the supposed future of the division.
                    Last edited by BennyST; 10-02-2014, 08:26 PM.

Comment

On par with morales, and Barrera but behind Sanchez and el grande champion Chavez

He so probably one of the top 15 guys to ever come out of Mexico..

I do think he is one of the most beautiful counter combo punchers I have ever seen and by far the best puncher in terms of shot selection I have seen in the past decade or so
                      Agree with your assessment of his technical skills but I think both Morales and Barrera rank above him.

Comment

Working...
                      X