Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Canelo vs Lopez just part of a bigger plan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Canelo vs Lopez just part of a bigger plan?

Heres my hopeful theory. I think it's all part of bigger plan. First Canelo has to win, and if he does he probably wont come out too beaten up since he'll be fighting a blown up junior welter. That means he'll be physically ready to take a fight with Cotto in Dec. at MSG which is when Cotto plans to have his return. Canelo and GBP are going to take alot of heat for making the Josesito fight even if Canelo win's impressively. The best thing to do for Canelos cred if in fact he does win is finally put him up against a real opponent. If he really is the next superstar to carry ppv boxing then you have to forget about putting him against a contender. A fight with Cotto at MSG would be the perfect breakout fight for him, possibly setting him up for a fight in May with Mayweather. With that said I have my doubts. GBP has been known to throw their up and comers in to bad matchups early in their careers, but with Canelo they have been overly protective.

Originally posted by LHRH89 View Post
    Heres my hopeful theory. I think it's all part of bigger plan. First Canelo has to win, and if he does he probably wont come out too beaten up since he'll be fighting a blown up junior welter. That means he'll be physically ready to take a fight with Cotto in Dec. at MSG which is when Cotto plans to have his return. Canelo and GBP are going to take alot of heat for making the Josesito fight even if Canelo win's impressively. The best thing to do for Canelos cred if in fact he does win is finally put him up against a real opponent. If he really is the next superstar to carry ppv boxing then you have to forget about putting him against a contender. A fight with Cotto at MSG would be the perfect breakout fight for him, possibly setting him up for a fight in May with Mayweather. With that said I have my doubts. GBP has been known to throw their up and comers in to bad matchups early in their careers, but with Canelo they have been overly protective.

Comment

It's all to one up Top Rank's ppv

Comment

Originally posted by LHRH89 View Post
        So Paul Williams accident, Kirkland's shoulder and Ortiz's jaw was ALLLL to set up Canelo Cotto in Dec?

Comment

Well it's a fight he shouldn't lose. Just like his entire career.

Comment

well.....i kinda think that the choice of not going with a 154lber may be because of GBP wanting to do a 154lb tourney......i donno.

Still this is such a stupid choice for Canelo.

Comment

God I seriously hope Lopez breaks Canela's jaw, that would be so hilarious.

Comment

GBP has said a while ago there plan was Williams in Sept. then Kirkland and Cotto next year.

The Williams accident threw a wrench in that plan so now it is likely this fight then Kirkland and later Cotto... assuming Canelo wins those fights which he may not.

Comment

I think Canelo needs 2 fights before Cotto. Even that might be rushing him because clearly this September fight is not the progression they hoped to have him take when they originally planned Williams. I understand Lopez is the Mexican P Willy now, but it's not quite the same test. Anyway, he can do both these fights this year and they can decide what to do after that.

Part of chessboard will move when Floyd gets out of jail though, because he can command certain dates/venues, etc. This September fight is basically just a fluffed up replacement bout now, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by CHOWWOKKA View Post
                    So Paul Williams accident, Kirkland's shoulder and Ortiz's jaw was ALLLL to set up Canelo Cotto in Dec?
                    ^This^

Comment

Working...
                    X