Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you rank Larry Holmes above Rocky Marciano?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree, I generally don't like Marciano's chances against guys who had both size and superb skills, which describes Holmes. But to your point, Rocky was often described as "awkward", in addition to being in marvelous condition, packing great power to the head and body, and having enormous stamina.

I don't think Marciano, unlike Holmes, could have reigned long as a champion (same goes for guys like Frazier and Tyson) due to his style but I would give him a 50/50 shot against Holmes in a 15 round title fight.

Comment

I rate Holmes higher...

H2h Holmes is clearly the better fighter...

Resume is much closer as neither had tremendous reigns and had plenty of subpar performances but Holmes had more quality and quantity

Comment

Yes I would rank him above him. But we have to keep in mind it was two different era's

Comment

Slightly, Holmes is top 5, Marciano top 10.

I'd like to see a public poll for this one.

Comment

not comparable. look at how long holmes was on top and look how briefly marciano was champion.

some might say marciano fought better opponents, while he clearly has better names on his record you also have to look at the circumstances. walcott and moore were light heavys, charles was a MW and they were all well past their primes as was louis.

h2h holmes would kill him, i mean it is not even close. all in all you have to consider him the better fighter.

Comment

Yes I would rank Larry Holmes higher as well.

Comment

hell to the yes.

resume wise and most definitely h2h.

Comment

too bad theres not a poll

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
                    Holmes is greater but h2h it would depend on which rules they're fighting under.
                    Its always nice to hear someone acknowledge that setting plays a role in these prognostications.

And what about personality? marciano was perpetually used to fighting guys as a little, short, brutish fighter. So one thing to consider is how much Holmes advantages would bother Marciano. Its not like he would be in shock fighting a guy with a great jab, reach and footwork. Yes he fought guys who were older, but even an older Ezzerd Charles, and Walcott could move.

The thing that made Marciano so tough was that in a 15 round fight he was going to find a way to hit you at least a few times. Where as fighters like Tyson...who fought an older Holmes, used angles, fast feet and cutting the ring to get to you, Marciano would throw punches from all angles.

marciano was like a pitbull this way. I think after review that in a 12 round fight Holmes would have a major advantage. In a fifteen round fight that advantage is diminished considerably.

Comment

Well Holmes fought for 15 rounds for a lot of his career, so it would be best as a 15 rounder. I'd rank Holmes higher too and give him a good shot to win a pretty wide UD.

Comment

Working...
                      X