Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it racist to support only 1 nationality, race, or ethnicity of boxers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Mexicans don't support canelo because he is white.

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy T View Post
      ONLY 1? I'd say it is yeah. i support based on styles that I like and find entertaining. Generally come forward aggressive guys, guys who get knockouts, warriors, guys that show heart etc.

Nothing wrong with supporting fighters of your nationality/race of course ... but exclusively your nationality/race? (like many people here e.g. -- Larry, Golovkin etc)... that's really lame.
      Golovkin is a fan of Wilder, who is black

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        In your opinion, when you see a boxing fan that only supports 1 race/ethnicity of fighters, do you think they are racist? Or do you just not consider them a true fan?? Or do you just believe everyone has the right to support who/what they want???

Discuss...
        Nationality is different from race. You'll notice that blacks in particular would almost always root for the black fighter. And don't assume they're all from the US. More extreme ones are coming from Dominican Republic, Africa, Puerto Rico, etc.

Don't know about whites, but look at the Asians, in comparison, for example. The Japanese don't automatically root for the Chinese, Malaysian, not even ones closest to their race, Koreans. And vise versa. The Chinese in Macau rooted for Rios, not Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by piojo del norte View Post
          Some Mexicans don't support canelo because he is white.
          Some mexicans dont support black beans!

Comment

I can answer this. It's not racist per se, being nationalistic, but when it becomes a disdain for a group or hate, then it leaves the nationalistic sense of sorts. Such as if someone only supports teams from their homeland or location, that's one thing but when a pattern sets in where it is obvious that there is a disdain or hate for anyone but their kind or type, then that is racial bias.

Racial bias is a preference of one and the exclusion of everything else or at least the exclusion of a particular group. When the exclusion becomes an attack or offensive, then that person has gone over the line and their true colors, so to speak, have given them away as being racist. Racism, though, as a definition covers a huge gamut of history and current affairs which are associated to racial bias. But the lines between a racist or a nationalistic person can bleed over.....but they can remain separate as for example, someone simply preferring local teams as opposed to teams from other countries - in contrast to only liking teams AND people from their homeland because of race or color or nationality by going over the line and in some cases, making slurs offending other teams or individuals.
            Last edited by richardt; 01-06-2016, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Rooting for your country's fighters is fine. Be a patriot! I'm all in for it.

But if you root for 1 race, regardless of nationality. . like if you are a born African-American but root for a black fighter under any circumstance(Cuban, etc) then I consider that racist.

Kind of like how many Andre Ward fans bash GGG constantly. It seems a good majority of them are not necessarily attracted to boxing, but race... which is disgusting. But hey, if you want to root for black fighters because you're black.. whatever. If you want to root for white fighters because you're white.. whatever. I don't mind this honestly, it's until these cvnts start bashing opposite race fighters on a regular basis.. then it's a bit bothering

The sport of boxing would be so much better if people weren't so narrow-minded though
              Last edited by Champ Wilder; 01-06-2016, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I hate the Media & the hype job they do on us. Bob Arum is looking globally to find fighters from different areas to create more potential customers and make more money.

A guy could probably make a good amount of money if he promoted Christian Boxers vs Atheists, Muslim vs Christian, more like pro wrestling.

It would bother me if it happen, but it might make money.

Produce fights like

Jesus De Armageddon vs Mohammed "The Decapitatior" Imam

Angel 'lil Devil' Davila. vs Ayatollah 'Of rock n rolla' Ali

Andre "Son of God" Ward vs Gennedy "Son of Gengis' Golovkin

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                  In your opinion, when you see a boxing fan that only supports 1 race/ethnicity of fighters, do you think they are racist? Or do you just not consider them a true fan?? Or do you just believe everyone has the right to support who/what they want???

Discuss...
                  You can support who ever you want you don't have to please your friends or anyone else they can go F themselves

Comment

Well, I certainly think you shouldn't root for boxers based on their racial lines. But obviously there are ignorant people out there and boxing does tend to attract a lot of bigots for fans. Nationality is another story because of course you're gonna root for the "house" guy, unless you don't really care about that stuff. Like another poster had mentioned above, if you're in LA you're gonna be a Laker fan. That's just the way it is.

Comment

If they are a fan of them just because of their race/ethnicity, then yes.

I like Pacquiao, Cotto, GGG, Provodnikov, and Porter. All because of style, entertainment or skill and not because of skin color or where they are from.

Comment

Working...
                      X