Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stipe Miocic says Francis Ngannou rematch “isn’t exciting,” wants “a new challenge”

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stipe Miocic says Francis Ngannou rematch “isn’t exciting,” wants “a new challenge”

Two weeks ago Stipe Miocic successfully defended his heavyweight title, winning a unanimous decision over Daniel Cormier in their trilogy fight at UFC 252. The win cemented Miocic’s status as the greatest heavyweight in UFC history but the champ isn’t done yet.

Immediately following UFC 252, Dana White announced that Miocic’s next title defense would be another rematch, this time against top contender Francis Ngannou, and the heavyweight champion admits that Ngannou deserves the shot.

“Ngannou has definitely shown a lot better stuff since the first fight,” Miocic told ESPN earlier this week. “He’s knocking everyone out in the first round. He’s just on a tear.”

Miocic and Ngannou fought at UFC 220, with Miocic claiming a dominant five-round decision victory. Afterwards, Ngannou lost his next fight and then rattled off four first-round knockouts over top contenders, all in a collective 2 minutes and 42 seconds. But while Ngannou is more than deserving of another title shot, Miocic seems less than enthused about another rematch.

Yesterday, Miocic did a brief AMA with fans on Instagram, and when asked which fight would be more difficult for him, Ngannou or former light heavyweight Jon Jones, the champ admitted he was not that interested in the rematch.

“Francis isn’t exciting to me, already put on a 25 minute clinic on how to beat him. Want a new challenge! Would love to box.”

Unfortunately for Miocic, new challenges seem to be in short supply for him at the moment. Ngannou’s dominant run demands he be the next heavyweight challenger and even Jon Jones vacating his light heavyweight belt and moving up a weight class has not been enough to sway Dana White from insisting that Jones can challenge for the belt only after Ngannou does. As for boxing, Miocic has occasionally lobbied for crossover fights with some notable heavyweight boxers but it has never gotten much traction, meaning Miocic will, in all likelihood, be facing Ngannou next. And should that come to pass, Stipe believes it will go exactly the same as last time.

“He’s definitely worked his way back up, but if we do fight again, it doesn’t matter,” Miocic told ESPN. “The same thing is gonna happen. Same result. There’s no difference that’s gonna happen. I’m gonna win and dominate.”

Ngannou got rag dolled for 5 rounds by Stipe, completely dominated.

Blaydes probably gets next shot at Stipe. Then hopefully Jones will finally move up.

Ngannou will likely get a rematch soon enough, but I'd rather see Stipe fight other challengers first.

Comment

I've heard rumours that Francis doesn't spend the time he should do on his grappling game

Comment

Originally posted by Mushroom View Post
        I've heard rumours that Francis doesn't spend the time he should do on his grappling game
        He's kinda programmed not to.

As a former wrestling coach, I can tell you there's no effort made in recruiting guys who look like Nganou. Dyed in the wool let downs.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
          Ngannou got rag dolled for 5 rounds by Stipe, completely dominated.

Blaydes probably gets next shot at Stipe. Then hopefully Jones will finally move up.

Ngannou will likely get a rematch soon enough, but I'd rather see Stipe fight other challengers first.
          Bingo. The first match wasn't close at all. I can see UFC moving heaven and earth to get Jones or Lesnar in front of Miocic next. Blaydes doesn't seem to be well-liked by White so I can see him left out in the cold.

Comment

Originally posted by mp1110 View Post
            Bingo. The first match wasn't close at all. I can see UFC moving heaven and earth to get Jones or Lesnar in front of Miocic next. Blaydes doesn't seem to be well-liked by White so I can see him left out in the cold.

Dana White is serious about making Lesnar vs. Jones.

But he said it was up to both of them. If they're both willing, he'll make it happen. Lesnar's contract with WWE expired, he's now a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
              Dana White is serious about making Lesnar vs. Jones.

But he said it was up to both of them. If they're both willing, he'll make it happen. Lesnar's contract with WWE expired, he's now a free agent.
              That's one fight Lesnar could win. Jones is ridiculously easy to hit, and smashing a guy really early hard in the face (with no defense or reflexes) is one of the few things Lesnar can do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                That's one fight Lesnar could win. Jones is ridiculously easy to hit, and smashing a guy really early hard in the face (with no defense or reflexes) is one of the few things Lesnar can do well.
                By the time that fight actually takes place. Lesnar would have been out of the octagon for 5 years. Well into his 40's. Not on the juice....or not on whatever he was on before that made him look amazing better than he had ever looked in MMA.

Jones would still have a reach advantage which is his most valued physical tool. Reyes was tooling him up because of the reach/height. Kind of like Wlad vs people his size, he didn't look that good.

If the Lesnar that fought Hunt fights Jones. I actually feel like Lesnar would win but that won't happen.

Comment

Working...
                X