No announcement yet.

How do you feel about Reperations?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
    Like I already said, America made tons of money off of slavery and it's a terrible thing, however it's impossible to quantify reparations and it's also not fair for the Americans now.
    I don't know if you guys watched the video that I posted on the second page, but he answers these questions pretty well.

Here is his answer to your bolded question above. If you search the video, you can find him answering your other question as well. I think he makes good points.

--edit--
    Actually he answers both of your questions back to back.

Last edited by travestyny; 02-17-2019, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
      First you have to define who are black African Americans. It is black Americans who have African/African American ancestors, mainly from West Africa... If you are a white guy claiming to be African American because .02% of your DNA comes from West Africa, that's a no go.

After that's defined, appropriate reparations off the top of my head should be, but not limited too:

- Immediately freed of Student loan debt. Should be able to receive free future college education with the maintaining of a 2.5-3.0 GPA depending on the degree/program. Master's degrees should require 3.0 obviously.

- Immediately freed of business loan debt. Should receive the first 3-5 years of a business loan, interest free

- First 50k of income based on zip code should be tax free toward housing/food costs. Similar to how Military BAH/BAS is tax free

1-2% interest loans toward housing

I'm thinking something like this
      I already said I was for some form of reparations a few pages back. But serious question, why wouldn't a white guy that had .002% direct slave ancestry not qualify in this hypothetical scenario? Let's also say he's also poor and could directly prove his slave lineage.

Why should he be excluded? Or let's say someone was 1/16th African slave lineage but looks like Elizabeth Warren, blonde hair, blue eyes, and white skin. Why aren't they also entitle for reparations?

Comment

• Originally posted by Theodore View Post
        I already said I was for some form of reparations a few pages back. But serious question, why wouldn't a white guy that had .002% direct slave ancestry not qualify in this hypothetical scenario? Let's also say he's also poor and could directly prove his slave lineage.

Why should he be excluded? Or let's say someone was 1/16th African slave lineage but looks like Elizabeth Warren, blonde hair, blue eyes, and white skin. Why aren't they also entitle for reparations?

Where are you from man?

Comment

Where are you from man?
          100% CAC.

Elizabeth Warren calls herself a woman of color and is down with the Native American cause. She has .000001% Native American blood. She got affirmative action, lots of programs to help her out, money, the whole 9 yards.

So let's say some CAC has .0000001% Slave blood and claims person of color status, shouldn't they also be qualifiy for reparations?

Comment

100% CAC.

Elizabeth Warren calls herself a woman of color and is down with the Native American cause. She has .000001% Native American blood. She got affirmative action, lots of programs to help her out, money, the whole 9 yards.

So let's say some CAC has .0000001% Slave blood and claims person of color status, shouldn't they also be qualifiy for reparations?
            Lol I know there's an angle to your post so I won't go there... But I already answered your question with this post

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
            I agree with this.

But I think they're muddying the waters by including gays, other minority groups and women in and comparing their struggles with Black America. History proves there's no comparison

And that's no disrespect to other minority groups because I know you all face and continue to face hardships. But when comparing Afican American hardships going back to the 1600's to other minority groups, there's no comparison. But other minority groups are benefiting from being a minority, woman or woman when they didn't experience many of the laws/policies that were targeted at blacks

But as for your post in general. Great post as I was waiting on someone to touch on this

Comment

Lol I know there's an angle to your post so I won't go there... But I already answered your question with this post
              You didn't answer the question. Does some CAC looking black man get reparations? You know they are out there. Here's one, the head of the NAACP back in the day. Walter Francis White.

"I am a Negro. My skin is white, my eyes are blue, my hair is blond. The traits of my race are nowhere visible upon me."
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter...ite#Early_life

Comment

• I feel like it needs to be addressed .

Comment

• My family or ancestors have never received any reparations. Nor do we seek them.

Oh we're only talking about the subjective US history? We've only been here a hundred years.

Comment

100% CAC.

Man I wish I got that level of help growing up.

Comment

• Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                      Get your reparations from Africa since they are the ones who sold your ancestors to European slave traders. Keep in mind, only about 5% of slaves actually came to America. Close to 10% of free blacks owned slaves themselves in the South--William Ellison being one of the more prominent and successful of the black slave owners.

What you should be demanding is the party you keep voting for to stop keeping you in poverty and dependent on big government. Stop telling you that you are victims so they can cash in on your votes by making promises they never keep and fanning the flames of racial tensions in this country. Your anger and vitriol should be directed at the Democratic party that created the KKK, and sealed up your votes for the next 200 years (LBJ) by promising social services in order to keep you under their control. Your own party is largely responsible for the oppression and discrimination blacks have faced over the last couple of centuries. Elite, white Democrats who try and pose as champions of the working class and minorities, when in fact they have done nothing but exploit and betray blacks since day one.
                      I agree with many of your points. I want to try to explain what I have seen thus far in my life.

I grew up in the hood, ghetto, and many of the kids I grew up with were all down with black power and brown Chicano pride. This was in the early 70’s. People were still being discriminated against, and racially charged groups formed. I remember black panther centers, political activists who were militant and tired of being held back by the white man. Everyone had a legit beef with the system, and institutionally embedded racism.

Now, my might school girl friend Leah M, a Japanese American was a cool chick. If I had never met her, I’d of never thought to go to college. She was my high school sweet heart. Her dad, Tom M, was the kindest man I ever met in my life. He graduated from UC Berkeley in the mid thirties, he married late, and was old compared to other fathers.

Here’s the meat. Tom was a farmer in Santa Clara County, Silicon Valley today. He his family had three farms in the valley. When the Japanese were sent to internment camps, Tom lost everything. He got conned out of his land, home, livelihood, and sense of fairness. While he sat in a prison camp for 3 & a half years, he suffered. He wasn’t whipped like African American slaves, but he was crushed. He was born in San Francisco, and thought he was American.

Tom painted and wrote letters to friends, and learned how to paint. When he got released he returned to the Bay Area, and had no land to work. He went to his ex partner and was told that the land belonged to another family, etc. Tom ended up working on the farm he used to own. Eventually he leased the land and through hard work and determination bought other plots of land, and was able to have enough money to build a home and find a wife.

Tom never made excuses, he looked forward, and moved forward. WhenTom got his reparations check, he framed it. He never cased it. Why? The check was a token sum, 10,000 USD I believe? He was a great man. His two daughters graduated from Cal. I only went to Cal because I wanted to be with my girl friend. I’d spend holidays with Tom and his family, and my girls mom wouldn’t let me come over unless it was to study or prepare for the SAT and ACT. Leah went to summer school, so I went to summer school. Not the free ghetto summer school courses where we did noting but wait for a free government meal. I had to get a job to pay money to go to Bellermine and Archbishop Mitty. Leah and her mom chose my classes, trig, physics, etc. That family showed me how to keep trying and not make excuses(no matter how legit they might have been)

When Tom passed, I was devestated. 3;000 plus people came to a small Methodist Church in San Jose. Many were children of Mexican farm workers, who got the same lesson Tom gave me. Keep trying and you will eventually win. Tom left me his two best paintings from his 3 plus years in prison. I told his wife, I’m greatful, but I don’t think I should have them. Both paintings were so dark, angnst. I had them for 18 years, but felt they needed to be properly cared for. I donated them to UC Berkely, Go Bears, and the art curator told me I could have sold them to the Getti or other museum. I never thought about making money off Tom’s paintings. His wife donated his journal and letters about his internment experience.

I’m going to see Leah, her sister and mother hopefully soon.

Sorry about all the sentimentality, but Tom was/is the greatest man I ever met. When I was committing crime, I felt justified because of the way Jews of all counties have been treated. Tom got a raw deal, never used it as an excuse, never dwelt on it, and never taught his two daughters to blame the world and expect reparations.

We got a lot of people on this site and in my family who would have been rich and successful if our ancestors were not mistreated or faced racial hatred. You give people 40 acres and a mule, and they’ll be broke in months.

I sometimes ask people in my family to start looking for new excuses to explain why they’d be successful if the power elite weren’t devising schemes to hold them back.

Raparations might temporarily help some people, but there are plenty of successful black people who take personal responsibility for themselves, and don’t hold out hope that the government tax this current generation of people who never owned slaves, and give money to a generation who were never slaves.

Comment

Working...
                      X