Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Martin Murray Retires From Boxing After Loss To N'Dam

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He just couldn't let his hands go. There was the long jab to the body and that was about it. Let's not forget Murray in his prime was a formidable challenger and I thought he beat Sergio that night. I was watching the Argentine commentary and even co-commentator Pipino Cuevas had Murray winning as did the majority of Argie's who watched it. A very tough lad and unlucky on two occasions not to have won a world strap.

Comment

Good time to retire.

He's been a bit unlucky. On another night with other judges, he might have wins over Martinez and Sturm, maybe even Abraham, although i felt he lost to Abraham, but seen them go the other way.

Fine margins though, a few close decisions the other way and you would be looking at a world champ with a solid resume, but that's boxing.

All that said, he was never entertaining really and i never really cared about watching him fight but he was a solid fighter and turned his life around with boxing after 4 jail terms. Never ducked a challenge and has probably made some decent money.

Comment

Good luck to him in the future.

I always liked Murray. An honest fighter, nothing flashy but made the most of what he had.

I thought he beat both Martinez and Sturm and was unlucky not have been crowned a world champion.

I wish we would of got a few domestic fights out of the MW quartet of Murray, Macklin, Barker and Lee.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
          You not seen Murray fight before then?

Nah. Martin's a good dude and tough as hell, but that's all he's ever done. It did fine for him in the UK and once or twice (against Khomitsky for instance) a little generosity from the judges didn't hurt, but it wasn't a style that was never gonna win him fights on the road.

And N'Dam's always been a good fighter - he just never learnt that defense in boxing involves more than just bouncing and weaving outta trouble. Luckily dude's also made of rubber.
          Lol dude's a weeble wobble....

N'Dam ain't got much time left. I wouldn't mind seeing him vs Andrade tbh.

Comment

[/QUOTE]
            I wish we would of got a few domestic fights out of the MW quartet of Murray, Macklin, Barker and Lee.[/QUOTE]

Fully agree with you on this. Especially after watching that middleweight roundtables show on Sky Sports a few years back where all 4 of them were there with Johnny Nelson or somebody throwing out questions. Murray made it clear he thought he was the best of the 4 of them and I think he insulted Macklins performance vs GGG saying he appeared scared and appeared to have lost the fight before it began because he was intimidated by GGG. I was surprised Macklin didn't react more to that and at least call out Murray and say to his face that he would love to fight him because he would be easy work with his robotic style walking around the ring with his gloves shielding his face. Anyways I'm disappointed we never got to see Macklin vs Lee, Macklin vs Barker, Macklin vs Murray, Lee vs Barker, Lee vs Murray

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
              Lol dude's a weeble wobble....

N'Dam ain't got much time left. I wouldn't mind seeing him vs Andrade tbh.
              Kinda nice to see both Matvey and Hassan having a sort of swansong... it's really too late for either to really achieve much, but either of 'em is gonna be a stiff test for an up and comer. Let's just hope they both get some offers in now though, would be a serious shame if the young blood at 160 decide these two old dudes are a bit too tough for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by IlikeBikeTython View Post
                Fully agree with you on this. Especially after watching that middleweight roundtables show on Sky Sports a few years back where all 4 of them were there with Johnny Nelson or somebody throwing out questions. Murray made it clear he thought he was the best of the 4 of them and I think he insulted Macklins performance vs GGG saying he appeared scared and appeared to have lost the fight before it began because he was intimidated by GGG. I was surprised Macklin didn't react more to that and at least call out Murray and say to his face that he would love to fight him because he would be easy work with his robotic style walking around the ring with his gloves shielding his face. Anyways I'm disappointed we never got to see Macklin vs Lee, Macklin vs Barker, Macklin vs Murray, Lee vs Barker, Lee vs Murray
                This: there would have been the makings of a stack of good fights between this quartet. There was a few years when all 4 were considered top 10 MWs or thereabouts, but somehow the pieces just never lined up.
                Last edited by Citizen Koba; 12-23-2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post

I always liked Murray. An honest fighter, nothing flashy but made the most of what he had.

I thought he beat both Martinez and Sturm and was unlucky not have been crowned a world champion.

I wish we would of got a few domestic fights out of the MW quartet of Murray, Macklin, Barker and Lee.
                  One of those big missed opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post

Annoys me that they never happened.

Eddie has his critics but the c.unt would have made about 6 fights out of that lot.

Comment

Happy retirement

Comment

Working...
                      X