Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro And Amateur Boxing 60 Years From Now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro And Amateur Boxing 60 Years From Now?

I watched my first boxing match roughly 60 years ago. I can document the changes. What happens to the sport in the next 60 years, though?

Were: (1) same day weigh-ins (2) a mere eight divisions (3) 15 round championship fights (4) 12 round championship eliminator fights (5) Peds barely in use, if at all. (6) eight and six oz. gloves

I expect that future changes will mostly come all at once rather than gradually and evenly. Tragedy has been a big motivator in the past.

Sixty years is a long time, and getting longer. What do you folks expect will happen to boxing in that amount of time?

2078? I bet boxing & most sports are VR experiences by then. You could have cats fight to the death (in VR) multiple times a day even if you wanna get morbid about it. Have a weekly to the death tournament on Saturday night so fighter activity will no longer be an issue. Deaths & severe injuries will be a thing of the past.

Comment

Who is the gal and the club in the GIF? I have to go with my braves.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        I watched my first boxing match roughly 60 years ago. I can document the changes. What happens to the sport in the next 60 years, though?

Were: (1) same day weigh-ins (2) a mere eight divisions (3) 15 round championship fights (4) 12 round championship eliminator fights (5) Peds barely in use, if at all. (6) eight and six oz. gloves

I expect that future changes will mostly come all at once rather than gradually and evenly. Tragedy has been a big motivator in the past.

Sixty years is a long time, and getting longer. What do you folks expect will happen to boxing in that amount of time?
        I believe that at some point there will be some serious health regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          That would take a freak catalyst. Can't even get gun legislation from scores of school shooting deaths per year. Just what in boxing could cause an easily distracted public that kind of determination? It is hard to imagine any single boxing event being perceived as tragic enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            2078? I bet boxing & most sports are VR experiences by then. You could have cats fight to the death (in VR) multiple times a day even if you wanna get morbid about it. Have a weekly to the death tournament on Saturday night so fighter activity will no longer be an issue. Deaths & severe injuries will be a thing of the past.
            Yeah or maybe replace boxers with robots, like in Richard Matheson's short story Steel, which he adapted for an original Twilight Zone episode and was later made into the movie Real Steel.

Hopefully, they'll at least go back to one thing. The best fighting each other in their prime, so we know who the real champions are in each weight class or be stripped of their titles. Maybe TSRB can start giving out title belts, as they seem to be the most trusted rankings in boxing these days.

Comment

We have seen plenty of changes to the sport under the Mayweather/Haymon reign of terror.

It is now perfectly normal and accepted for fighters to duck, wait each other out and make money excuses not to fight.

We are in an era where an absolute fraud like Jorge Linares is looked at as a "top" fighter.

The guy hast "belts" (trinkets) in multiple weight classes but has never beat an A level guy let alone an elite. In fact most of his "championship" career is against C and D level guys.

He has been destroyed at B level!!!
              More than once.....

Robberies are rising at an alarming frequency.....
              It's got to the point where even casuals have started to suss out that boxing is just glorified WWF.......

And all this is accepted as business as usual.....
              **** boxing

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                That would take a freak catalyst. Can't even get gun legislation from scores of school shooting deaths per year. Just what in boxing could cause an easily distracted public that kind of determination? It is hard to imagine any single boxing event being perceived as tragic enough.
                If somebody gets badly hurt in a big fight....
                And the other guy tests dirty...
                ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOOSE!!!!!!

That's why I started that thread the other day. I wanted to know If it's happened yet....

Comment

Originally posted by Geralt69 View Post
                  We have seen plenty of changes to the sport under the Mayweather/Haymon reign of terror.

It is now perfectly normal and accepted for fighters to duck, wait each other out and make money excuses not to fight.

We are in an era where an absolute fraud like Jorge Linares is looked at as a "top" fighter.

The guy hast "belts" (trinkets) in multiple weight classes but has never beat an A level guy let alone an elite. In fact most of his "championship" career is against C and D level guys.

He has been destroyed at B level!!!
                  More than once.....

Robberies are rising at an alarming frequency.....
                  It's got to the point where even casuals have started to suss out that boxing is just glorified WWF.......

And all this is accepted as business as usual.....
                  **** boxing
                  It's called WWE now actually, not WWF.

Comment

Originally posted by Geralt69 View Post
                    If somebody gets badly hurt in a big fight....
                    And the other guy tests dirty...
                    ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOOSE!!!!!!

That's why I started that thread the other day. I wanted to know If it's happened yet....
                    They have graphs of the public's attention span. It is amazingly short and falls off steeply. These days there is a replacement event nearly every day. There is so much to be indignant about that nothing generates interest for long.

Comment

Working...
                    X