No announcement yet.

Why doesnt boxing get any mainstream publicity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesnt boxing get any mainstream publicity

On ESPN today as i type this,,, they are having a live interview with rampage jackson and tito ortiz,,, to of MMA's biggest names, but both pretty much retired,,,
    They have fought for many years in UFC, but both have signed with bellator,,, yeah you may have never heard of bellator but to their credit they have a 5 min segment on the most watched sporting show in the world,,, and floyd-canelo, lucas-danny, tim-jmm, manny-rios, wont recieve that type of attention....

Kinda sad when boxing has their biggest brand name fighters all having upcoming fights, yet ESPN is giving a whole segment and answering fans questions on air, to some retired MMA guys coming back for one last hurrah, and the biggest guys in boxing dont get anytime of airtime,,,

What gives,,,,,

And to the idiots that think MMA is struggling then how does their #2 promotion in the world land its own segment on SPortcenters for 2 aging fighters that wont fight till november,,,,

Why doesnt boxing get the same publicity

look homie ive been thinkin about this for a while and i think it's because the promotors put on some face first brawlers when they get some national tv time. remember when they put santa cruz on NBC? and he looked like crap? come on man aint no one tryna watch that.

people tryna see some skill and defense. if they put money, alexander or any top skillfull fighter on national tv people gonna flock to watch them man. they can watch brawls on youtube but they tryna watch some real skills

Comment

Originally posted by MAKING_MONEY View Post
      look homie ive been thinkin about this for a while and i think it's because the promotors put on some face first brawlers when they get some national tv time. remember when they put santa cruz on NBC? and he looked like crap? come on man aint no one tryna watch that.

people tryna see some skill and defense. if they put money, alexander or any top skillfull fighter on national tv people gonna flock to watch them man. they can watch brawls on youtube but they tryna watch some real skills
      You are not real. You are an alternative personality to someone else on here.

Comment

Since HBO and Showtime effectively run the bulk of boxing promoters don't have to bother promoting outside of those channels. They already have an in built subscriber base of boxing fans who will watch heavy promotion or not so they don't bother paying ESPN or other media for coverage.

Comment

I have my own reasons why boxing gets no mainstream publicity,,,, but i wanna hear everyone's thoughts before i post my own

but i will say that casual fans would be bored to tears with alexander or rigo fight,,,,,

the brawlers like rios, santa cruz, etc is what casual fans like to see,, not a chess match with little action

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
            Since HBO and Showtime effectively run the bulk of boxing promoters don't have to bother promoting outside of those channels. They already have an in built subscriber base of boxing fans who will watch heavy promotion or not so they don't bother paying ESPN or other media for coverage.
            ESPN doesnt charge for coverage,,, they cover what people will watch and be interested in,,,,

Hbo and Showtime having all the big fights actually hurts the sport, because other sports like MMA, basketball, soccer, football, baseball, nascar,, are all easily accessible for free on cable,,,,,, hence why popularity of those sports have gone up over 20 years, and boxing has gone way done,,,

SRL, tyson, hearns, duran etc were household names,, my grandma knew who they were,,, now, you have to be a hardcore fan to know who lucas, ward, danny, wlad, donaire, rigo, jmm is...

only floyd and manny are only semi-known but nowhere near the level of tyson or srl

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              I have my own reasons why boxing gets no mainstream publicity,,,, but i wanna hear everyone's thoughts before i post my own

but i will say that casual fans would be bored to tears with alexander or rigo fight,,,,,

the brawlers like rios, santa cruz, etc is what casual fans like to see,, not a chess match with little action
              nah homie..

Comment

I've long been agitated by ESPN as a whole but particularly with their lack boxing coverage. During a big fight they will show results and still photo shots of the action but that's about it. They however love Manny but hate Floyd and they let it be known. The fact that they have Friday Night Fights but don't cover anything else involved with boxing puzzles me. Even their top ten plays of the week countdown may consist of a FNF KO, but not a KO from HBO or any other network. As an all sports station ESPN is everything wrong with sports media. Props to Comcast network and now Fox for showing live boxing events again. Now its up to these idiot promoters to put good cards on these shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  ESPN doesnt charge for coverage,,, they cover what people will watch and be interested in,,,,
                  Don't be that naive.

When Dana was trying to market that chick as a PPV star he outright said he would make a huge marketing push and get the PPV all over ESPN. You can pay for spots just like any other show or network.

Nobody gave two ****s about the UFC's first female champion, then out of nowhere after Dana announces that he's pumping loads of money into a huge marketing campaign she starts appearing all over it. MMA is nothing without that promotion.
                  Last edited by croz; 08-26-2013, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAKING_MONEY View Post
                    nah homie..
                    Are you devon's mom...... The dude couldnt be in an exciting fight even with maidana,,, and i was there front row, and it was boring as hell,,,
                    Bradley-alexander was even worse,,,

please name all of alexanders exciting fights,,,

Originally posted by Thickback View Post
                    I've long been agitated by ESPN as a whole but particularly with their lack boxing coverage. During a big fight they will show results and still photo shots of the action but that's about it. They however love Manny but hate Floyd and they let it be known. The fact that they have Friday Night Fights but don't cover anything else involved with boxing puzzles me. Even their top ten plays of the week countdown may consist of a FNF KO, but not a KO from HBO or any other network. As an all sports station ESPN is everything wrong with sports media. Props to Comcast network and now Fox for showing live boxing events again. Now its up to these idiot promoters to put good cards on these shows.
                    Espn does do a crappy job of covering boxing, but most of it is boxing's fault...

do you realize ESPN cant show highlights but only still photos, because hbo and showtime and the promoters dont want to ruin the replays the next week...... Sounds lame but thats the truth,,,, ESPN wasnt legally allowed to show actual footage,,,
                    but i do think that HBO and ESPN recently have come to an agreement to show actual footage and not just still pictures,,,
                    But alot of damage is already done,,, they have been showing still pics from the mid 90's on.... thats about a generation of kids watching sportcenter that only get to see pictures of fighter,, yet see tons of dunks and touchdowns by other athletes

boxing has only itself to blame

Comment

Working...
                    X