Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short heavy bag video

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lets be fair here hes got the right idea when he tries to hide the punch hes going to throw and make it as un-telegraphed as possible. good work with the left hook.

The bad parts are the weird things he does with his hand every-time he throws the jab, that's a bad habit.

also the pointless arm punches in the flurries. You are throwing combos that are fast but giving something up in the process, technique.

its like "pitter patting" the bag, not throwing combination punches.

He probably doesn't have sparring videos because a lot of this is bag flash and wont work in sparring. Miguel Cotto works the bag slow mo, but in sparring hes got good speed and great technique.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
      Uh.....
      Anyway. I agree with your point on not reinforcing bad habits. But it's just bag work -- It's not sparring, mitt work, or anything else, it's just hitting the bag.

There are guys that look great technically just training, but then get the worse end in sparring, but then there are others who don't look nearly as gifted on the bags/mitts/etc. but really get in when they're sparring.

That's the great part about boxing, sometimes flaws or physical attributes can end up being a fighter's greatest advantage.
      It made perfect sense, NOT trying to hit it like Mayweather is what I meant.

Anyway, if you want to hit the bag like that, go right ahead. I'm just telling you from a trainers point of view, I teach and drill good stance, balance, hand placement and habits.

The reason these things are so important, is that they make good habits. As far as what you said about physical flaws and attributes that can turn out to be a fighters greatest advantage is true. I just think as a trainer, it's my responsibility to make sure I'm teaching you right, before I let you go off and do your own thing and own style.

If you watch Mayweather for example in his amateur days or early pro fights, he wasn't using the philly shell all the time, or even much. He developed that over time. Keeping your hand down and hitting the bag like that is cool, but it builds very bad habits that will get you hit.

Again, I guess I just think about things now from a trainers perspective. Keep your hands up and try and build good habits on ALL the equipment.

Comment

instead of trying to hit the bag as hard and fast as you can, focus more on technique and getting your body use to the motions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          It made perfect sense, NOT trying to hit it like Mayweather is what I meant.

Anyway, if you want to hit the bag like that, go right ahead. I'm just telling you from a trainers point of view, I teach and drill good stance, balance, hand placement and habits.

The reason these things are so important, is that they make good habits. As far as what you said about physical flaws and attributes that can turn out to be a fighters greatest advantage is true. I just think as a trainer, it's my responsibility to make sure I'm teaching you right, before I let you go off and do your own thing and own style.

If you watch Mayweather for example in his amateur days or early pro fights, he wasn't using the philly shell all the time, or even much. He developed that over time. Keeping your hand down and hitting the bag like that is cool, but it builds very bad habits that will get you hit.

Again, I guess I just think about things now from a trainers perspective. Keep your hands up and try and build good habits on ALL the equipment.
          Completely understand, I'm on the same page as you. But it's just a matter of fact that hitting the bag is much different than sparring.

The only reason Mayweather didn't use his shoulder roll technique early in his pro career is because he used his legs more at '30 and was naturally bigger than most of his opponents then. At '35, he used it a lot.

But he even went that technique at toward the end of his amateur days, too. Not a lot like you stated before, but I'm sure he had already been training that way.

Comment

Working...
          X