Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should Train Anthony Joshua when he turns pro?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way I see it is the toughest fights in a fighter's career should be those first several professional outings. I'd be ok with a couple of fights against limited opposition but after that, they need to be tested to stop complacency setting in.

Fighters like Kell Brook, Kevin Mitchell, John Murray etc have all amassed 20+ fight records just on British opposition and for how talented Brook is meant to be, this is detrimental.

The way Eubank Jr is progressing and now DeGale is great and how it should be. I understand that for marketing purposes it's important to keep that '0' but if you aren't good enough to do so, lets not beat around the bush.

As we've seen with Mitchell, when that time comes... it comes hard. He showed defensive flaws in the Burns fight that was apparent when he fought Katsidis and was actually the factor in his stoppage loss.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
      The way I see it is the toughest fights in a fighter's career should be those first several professional outings. I'd be ok with a couple of fights against limited opposition but after that, they need to be tested to stop complacency setting in.

Fighters like Kell Brook, Kevin Mitchell, John Murray etc have all amassed 20+ fight records just on British opposition and for how talented Brook is meant to be, this is detrimental.

The way Eubank Jr is progressing and now DeGale is great and how it should be. I understand that for marketing purposes it's important to keep that '0' but if you aren't good enough to do so, lets not beat around the bush.

As we've seen with Mitchell, when that time comes... it comes hard. He showed defensive flaws in the Burns fight that was apparent when he fought Katsidis and was actually the factor in his stoppage loss.
      Yeah, if he signs with Fish Eyes, my heart will sink.

I think most trainers and promoters in the states would be interested in him, he fit's the bill visually, they could market him I think, and has more potential than anyone they have.

It's funny how much DeGale is getting **** for being in tough scraps, but they will be teaching him to come through adversity, I still think there is more to come from him

Comment

There are a lot of talented fighters with Warren who're being suffocated by his lack of organization and proper management. GBP have expressed their interest and I assume they have enough clout to take him away from the British promoters, the only downside may be Joshua's reluctancy to leave his family.

DeGale needs a change in trainers too, someone who can teach him how to punch properly. A move to one of the Mayweather brothers would be superb as he's already using their style and who better to advance it then a Mayweather?

I see DeGale possibly coming unstuck against Zuniga if he's careless, he leaks too many punches already and this guy hits like a truck.

Hennessy's doing a good job with his stable, shame he wasn't given that sort of exposure when Froch was on his books.

Comment

No British boxer in their right mind would now link up with Warren.

He should go with Mckracken and Hearn, Mckracken already knows him and if you want exposure you have to be on Sky, IMO.

Comment

Have a look at the top 30 list of heavyweights & tell me how many of those are American or American based.

The best heavyweight sparring is now in Europe. He doesn't NEED to go to the US although it would be smart to have some training & fights there - as well as elsewhere. Build up a global fan base as well as incorporating many aspects of training into your regime.

Comment

Hearn does seem to have his head screwed on.

He takes calculated risks and already most view Bellew on a par with Nathan Cleverley now after just a couple of fights and people rolled their eyes when the Clev/Bellew fight was made.

On topic - Uncle Fury! lol

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
                Have a look at the top 30 list of heavyweights & tell me how many of those are American or American based.

The best heavyweight sparring is now in Europe. He doesn't NEED to go to the US although it would be smart to have some training & fights there - as well as elsewhere. Build up a global fan base as well as incorporating many aspects of training into your regime.
                Exactly the mentioned trainers from the uk are more than good enough to get him to the top , and the heavyweight scene here has more depth than the us also

Comment

I'd like to see him with a trainer who has experience of heavyweights, which in the UK would suggest Booth, who obviously trained Haye and also Price for a brief period and is a good matchmaker for prospects. He also fits the bill geographically, has the contacts in the US and beyond to arrange quality sparring and is growing in his stable with recent additions of Andy Lee and Selcuk Aydin.

There could be a case for other trainers around Europe, where quality sparring is also assured, such as Fritz Sduneck, although the language barrier may be a problem.

Although I accept their styles of training may be slightly wrong for Joshua and sufficient tuition time may be lacking, both are clever enough to adapt training methods/schedules and have experience of training and/or studying to fight tall heavyweights.

Comment

Jimmy and Mark Tibbs doing the training
                    Hearn to do the promoting

Comment

Would've been Emmanuel steward but how about Banks? At least a Steward protégé? Have to start off right and leave for the US as soon as he turns pro. I would understand if he doesn't though because I believe thats viewed negatively in the beginning like a traitor's move so I guess he should establish himself in the UK but he definitely has to move onto the US for great exposure, money and development. Of he stays too long in the UK he will hinder his development I believe.

Comment

Working...
                      X