No announcement yet.

Why Keith Thurman is suspended indefinitely

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lolpz View Post
    I swear I've seen this thread atleast once a month for the past year, someone bringing up boxrec "suspensions."

Every fighter receives a suspension by the athletic comission after a fight to protect the fighter's health. Its nothing new, this is regular protocol.
    You are correct but over 6 months is not a normal suspension after a fight . 30 days like stated earlier , and generally 90 days if the fighter was KOd .....Keith is suspended for over 180 days . From a cut ?? That's not likely ....so I think it's a logical question providing that the length of suspension reported is TRUE . Which I cannot vouch for .

Comment

Thurman got beat up by a little bunny rabbit

Comment

No ones giving Keith any credit for never quitting and taking his loss like a man!

That bodyshot he got hit with would’ve floored 80% of the welterweight division especially if they come to fight like Keith did!

Thurman maybe injury prone but he’s a warrior and very tough and strong, hope he makes a full recovery an comes back as healthy as he can be as he is an excellent addition to the welterweight division!

Comment

Originally posted by NORMNEALON View Post
          You are correct but over 6 months is not a normal suspension after a fight . 30 days like stated earlier , and generally 90 days if the fighter was KOd .....Keith is suspended for over 180 days . From a cut ?? That's not likely ....so I think it's a logical question providing that the length of suspension reported is TRUE . Which I cannot vouch for .
          It's because of an injury sustained in the fight. He is not allowed to box again for 6 months because of it, probably issued in the post fight administered test by a doctor in the commission.

Comment

Originally posted by Squ□redCircle34 View Post
            No ones giving Keith any credit for never quitting and taking his loss like a man!

That bodyshot he got hit with would’ve floored 80% of the welterweight division especially if they come to fight like Keith did!

Thurman maybe injury prone but he’s a warrior and very tough and strong, hope he makes a full recovery an comes back as healthy as he can be as he is an excellent addition to the welterweight division!

Keith boxed well. He made a valiant effort in the mid-late rounds, just wasn’t enough to take out the superior top 5 ATG boxer Emmanuel. Manny is WAAYYY past his prime but like Bradley says, Manny was so good that his B/C game is still better than the elite welter’s A game.

Comment

It says that about all fighters on BOXrec until they have a fight scheduled.

Comment

Agreed. I’m actually looking forward for his comeback. Hope he gets back to the mix

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  It says that about all fighters on BOXrec until they have a fight scheduled.
                  Pretty much this... indefinite suspensions are lifted when the next fight is scheduled. The fighter needs to be checked by the commisson's Dr before the fight is sanctioned and at this point the suspension will be lifted if the fighter passes, although the medical requirements do vary some per state (and presumably country).

https://www.abcboxing.com/medical-re...by-commission/

https://www.abcboxing.com/minimum-me...everity-index/

(that second one is kinda interesting - it's like a scoring system for whether a dude should be allowed to fight based on age, damage sustained in fights over the last x years and so on...)

You do get fixed term suspension too - for instance Seals and J-Rock are both serving 3 month suspensions and Spike got 2 month in Texas whilst Gamboa has an indefinite suspension out of GA. Presumably any KO loss triggers this, but it may vary from commision to commision or country to country.

Hmm.

I might have to just look into that a little further when I got a few spare minutes.

...OK I got this pretty swiftly from the ABC but it's from 2005, but whether policies have been changed since then without it being updated I couldn't say. If it is accurate it's pretty much discretionary beyond a mandatory 30 days for TKOs from head blows and 60 days for KOs. Seems to me I've seen a lot of indefinite/longer suspensions coming out of NAC and NYSAC so I reckon it's likely certain states tend to lean more towards caution than others.

https://www.abcboxing.com/abc-regulatory-guidelines/

Medical Suspensions

A boxer losing by way of a Technical Knock Out (TKO) resulting from head blows shall receive a medical suspension and shall not participate in any boxing activity for a minimum period of thirty (30) days. A boxer losing by way of a Knock Out (KO) shall receive a medical suspension and shall not participate in any boxing activity for a minimum period of sixty days. At the discretion of the physician, longer suspension periods may be issued for either the TKO or KO.

Boxers shall receive a mandatory seven-day rest period after competing in an event. Day 1 of the mandatory rest period shall commence on the first day following the event.

A physician may issue a medical suspension any time he/she believes it to be in the best interest for the safety of a boxer (i.e., high blood pressure at pre-fight physical). In any/all cases, the decision by the physician to issue or extend a suspension is final.

EDIT: OK and I just fired off an e-mail to the BBBoC to ask what their policies are cos I can't find anything specific on their site. There is a list of suspended fighters but no information on what they're suspended for although I have seen a reference to 28 day suspension in a F/b post and a coupla fighters who were recently KOd do appear near the top of the list though it was longer than 28 days ago and doesn't appear on Boxrec so either the 28 day info is innaccurate or they ain't keeping atop their record keeping (which is entirely likely).

http://bbbofc.com/content/suspensions-1
                  Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-24-2020, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Man, I forgot how bad Thurman head/face looked after this fight, damn.

Comment

Agreed!

Thurman is a warrior. Tough and talented. People crapping on him is very unwarranted. He's a true champion.

Comment

Working...
                      X