No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson Head Movement vs Orthodox

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson Head Movement vs Orthodox

Can somebody break down Mike Tysons Head Movement vs orthodox head movement?
    What are the characteristics and the reason / pros and cons of them.

You'd need to study peek-a-boo in order to understand Mike's movement. That style has the upper-body more squared up so you're moving more left/right, without the common slipping back and to the right (behind the left shoulder) like in orthodox. There's a lot more to it than that though. Like I said, read about peek-a-boo and it'll start to make more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      You'd need to study peek-a-boo in order to understand Mike's movement. That style has the upper-body more squared up so you're moving more left/right, without the common slipping back and to the right (behind the left shoulder) like in orthodox.
      Exactly right. Peek-a-boo fighters slip completely sideways because of their square stance. And they always slip to the left first never to the right.

I would add that the slipping in this style seems to expend more energy than the orthodox method. It's a bit more physically taxing and you have to be in very good shape to keep it up for an entire fight.

Along with slipping they also "bob and weave" but to me this looks the same as orthodox.

This guy trained at the Catskill gym under a former student of Cus D'Amato. He explains it well:

Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 01-06-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Exactly right. Peek-a-boo fighters slip completely sideways because of their square stance. And they always slip to the left first never to the right.

I would add that the slipping in this style seems to expend more energy than the orthodox method. It's a bit more physically taxing and you have to be in very good shape to keep it up for an entire fight.

Along with slipping they also "bob and weave" but to me this looks the same as
        I thought southpaw boxers with this style first slips to the right, guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by creeping View Post
          I thought southpaw boxers with this style first slips to the right, guess not.
          I don't know for sure what they teach southpaws who learn the peekaboo.
          Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 01-07-2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            I don't know for sure what they teach southpaws who learn the peekaboo.
            I think it should be like that right-left-right for southpaw because it's not natural and it's a bit weird to slip to the left at first, I am southpaw and tried to slip to the left first it just feels not how it should feel.

Comment

Working...
            X