Mayweather has grown on me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cupo303 View Post
    i'll take a crack at this.

Without giving reasons or explanations on why certain fights didn't happen or whose fault it was. He didn't fight kostya tszyu while passing through the light-welterweight division. Without pointing fingers, that fight could've been hard to make because of tszyu (the real 140 champ), but it also didn't help that floyd was fond of the green wbc belts and his mentality was/is that the guy with the green belt is the real champion.

Statistically, he was right in choosing baldomir over margarito in that baldomir was recognized as the real welterweight champ after upsetting judah. But subjectively, as a wbo title holder, margarito was a top welterweight for a much longer period than baldomir - who just recently became champion. And considering that he still took the time to fight judah (the former champion coming off of a loss) for the ibf belt which zab only kept because baldomir didn't pay the ibf's sanctioning fee, some can say that he could've done the same with margarito. Now, the timing is problematic because after baldomir, the big money fighter (delahoya) came calling and who would turn that down after the baldomir fight (which fans in attendance walked out on).

He did manage to get in another fight after oscar by beating ricky hatton, which was a good fight and a good victory over a undefeated fighter, albeit a failed welterweight who took his balls back to 140 after almost losing to light-punching boxer louis collazo for the ibf welterweight title. So even though he made a defense against p4p guy, his first welterweight title defense was against a failed welterweight who wasn't even a 147-contender/title holder.

That's ok though because you can always fight the margarito's and the up and coming cotto afterwards right? No, because he took two year layoff and the top contenders all fought each other in a round robin of sorts with mosley coming out on top at the end of it all (having lost to cotto, cotto having lost to margarito and margarito losing to mosley who was scheduled to defend against berto with the fight ending up cancelled). So after facing a lightweight champion in marquez who moved up two weight divisions (not a top welterweight or even a 147 contender) after a two year layoff.... Technically like with baldomir, he did the right thing and faced mosley therefore you can't criticize him. Then he did make a title defense against (technically) a top contender in victor ortiz - who did grab his wbc belt while he was taking another lengthy break, but like baldomir before, ortiz is again a new comer, while ignoring the top guy (pacquiao) who was a top 147 contender for a much longer time.

The gap in not fighting vs fighting the technically correct guy (i.e. Lineal champ baldomir, lineal champ mosley, new wbc champ ortiz) is the whole crux of the matter, and why the never ending battle between flomos, pactards and all kinds of third party participants remains to this day.

The end.
    /thread.....

Comment

I'm sure this has been posted before but I just saw it for the first time today. Manny is asked about Mayweather calling him a has been. He doesn't react like Floyd does when Floyd is asked about him.

http ://youtu.be/qiaswwJBd9k?t=2m13s

I haven't made enough posts yet to post links.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen_Fighter View Post
        With the exception of Canelo, I can't recall much of public yearning for Floyd to fight his last several opponents. Judah after several losses? Marquez after several losses? Cotto after a couple of serious beatings? Ortiz after Maidana? Mosely after multiple losses? Sharmba Mitchell? Gatti? Come on. An All Time Great can do better.
        Are you asking for him to fight Pac after JMM?

Comment

Working...
        X