Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long Could You Survive in the Wilderness Alone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intelligence goes a long way...

There are two things that affect survival under these conditions that I can see: Intelligence, the ability to think creatively and assess the environment accurately, and health.

People survived in the worse for much of our evolution with our own swiss army knife called opposable thumbs. Also, holding fat, which has become a bad thing, is a benefit in the wild.

So, the first thing to be aware of is water and then shelter, then food. Keep in mind that over any long term you can die eating game, and fruits, and vegetables available. You not only need a source of food, but fat. Fat is a luxury in wild environments and people have died eating what appeared to be an acceptable diet, because of a lack. We need it for insulation, including for our nerves (that is what cholesterol is for).

So: you can find a source of potable water, and can you filter it? One can perhaps find a way to use the sun (ultra violet rays disinfect), take a small sip and see if the water is good. Eventually a set up of certain leaves, etc could be used to run the water through, with the sun.

For shelter: Get a stick of one sort, or another, find the best exposure (depending on climate) and dig into the ground. The ground below the frost line is a regular temperature, if you dig deep enough, you are looking at around 50 degrees... Then put sticks in tepee type formation over hole, Try to find bark or leaves to cover. Just putting leaves over if there is no wind will do. You want the insulation so the ground area stays a temperate temperature for you. Sleep in a ball. Also: to dig in three feet, go slowly and do not fatigue.

Set up a fire...finding something for tinder, and create friction with two dry pieces of wood.

For food, look at the area and access what lives there. You can make a trap...use your shelter, put a false floor on it. Now, if you can you might have to be a bit extreme here... You can cut some skin off with a sharp stick and attract insects (Many bugs love meat, like wasps for example.)

Now other environents present their own unique challenges. But the mind is the real tool here. Obviously any fire starter, knife, will help immensely. A water filter...ditto!

We have lived in desserts and ice ages... With no swiss army knifes! Take a rock and give it an edge with another rock. You may not get the obsidian flint blades that work so well, but you can get somethng that can cut a bit.

Oh and I would not try to hunt big game. You risk being injured, and the intrusion of scavengers. If you do have the chance and can use a rock, or something quick, I would try to dry the meat out in the sun.
    Last edited by billeau2; 05-02-2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Someone said not too long ago that 100 years ago if you picked 200 people at random and dumped them in the wilderness they would survive but if today you picked 200 people at random and dumped them there they would all die.

Comment

If you can take 5 items, survival for an extended period is more than possible.

Comment

I imagine it would take a long time before I died. I know how to hunt and fish. I know what mushrooms and berries are good to eat. Winters would be the hard part.

Comment

Originally posted by MOMENTO MORI View Post
            Just being out in the wilderness is a challenge all men should undertake.
            Why is being in the wilderness a challenge?

Comment

Originally posted by bigfo0t View Post
              Tools: Pick 5.
              Parameters: COVID-19 Worst Case Scenario.

Wow, who would've thought we are actually close to a situation where people may start fleeing to these Areas VERY soon.

1. Knife
              2. Lighter/matches
              3. Rope
              4. Tent
              5. Rifle

Comment

Originally posted by bigfo0t View Post
                Tools: Pick 5.
                Parameters: COVID-19 Worst Case Scenario.

Wow, who would've thought we are actually close to a situation where people may start fleeing to these Areas VERY soon.

1)Cell Phone
                2)Debit Card/Cash
                3)Driver’s License
                4)Map
                5)Glock

I only need 3 items and that’ll get me out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by HewJohnson View Post
                  1)Cell Phone
                  2)Debit Card/Cash
                  3)Driver’s License
                  4)Map
                  5)Glock

I only need 3 items and that’ll get me out of there.
                  The Objective is to Survive out there INDEFINITELY.

Cell Phone: Bad Choice. Why? NO SIGNAL.

Glock [Any Pistol/Sidearm]: Be Very Careful, you'd have no idea how many Scopes would be on you at any given time during Hunting Seasons. People disappear out there. Stay Safe everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X