Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freddie Roach knew James Toney was on steroids, while he was training him.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddie Roach knew James Toney was on steroids, while he was training him.

Trainer Freddie Roach said, "The Ruiz fight, James was coming off an injury and we didn't have enough time for it to completely heal. He wasn't at one-hundred percent. The steroids didn't seem to affect him at all, we didn't even know it was still in his system for that fight. James was just himself in the Ruiz fight. His boxing ability won him the fight.
    http://www.hbo.com/boxing/fighters/toney_james/bio.html

Edit: He was the trainer when Toney got caught the 2nd time too.

LOS ANGELES -- Three-time champion James Toney tested positive for steroids and could face a one-year suspension from boxing.

Armando Garcia, the California State Athletic Commission's executive officer, said Toney and Danny Batchelder, his opponent in a heavyweight bout May 24 in San Jose, tested positive for two types of steroids. They were suspended indefinitely.

"They have a right to appeal," Garcia said Wednesday. "My recommendation is suspension until the end of the licensing year and a $2,500 fine for both. We will give them the 30 days to appeal. If they don't, that's what the suspension will be."

Toney tested positive for boldenone and stanazolol, and Batchelder tested positive for stanazolol and oxandolone, Garcia said. If they don't appeal, the boxers would be suspended one year from the date of their fight.

"We have a detailed anti-doping program in place in this state," Armando Garcia, the commission's executive director, told The Los Angeles Times for Wednesday's editions. "If they come here doping, they're going to get caught."

Toney won a split decision over Batchelder, an outcome that won't be changed, Garcia said. Toney has a 70-6-3 record with 43 knockouts and Batchelder is 25-5-1 with 12 knockouts.

Toney's promoter, Dan Goossen, and trainer, Freddie Roach, were not very happy with the fighter's performance and were upset with his conditioning despite the victory.

The 38-year-old Toney is a former IBF middleweight, super-middleweight and cruiserweight champion. He tested positive for nandrolone two years ago, and it cost him a victory over WBC heavyweight champion John Ruiz. That bout was ruled a no-contest.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2902823
    Last edited by $partacus; 12-27-2009, 01:43 PM.

And people don't even talk about this!

Comment

Originally posted by Six Shooter View Post
      Trainer Freddie Roach said, "The Ruiz fight, James was coming off an injury and we didn't have enough time for it to completely heal. He wasn't at one-hundred percent. The steroids didn't seem to affect him at all, we didn't even know it was still in his system for that fight. James was just himself in the Ruiz fight. His boxing ability won him the fight.

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/fighters/toney_james/bio.html
      Not that I’m implying or advocating anything here but I work in healthcare and I spoke to healthcare officials who administer these type of drugs and they all seem to agree that those type of steroids are not anabolic by any means. Therefore, they don’t have the same effect as that of testosterone or any type of illegal diuretic.

Again, just what I’ve been told by these professionals as I don’t know much about these type of drugs.

Peace.

Comment

I don't know a lot about roids or illegal substances but isn't there also roids for pain/injuries. I have problems with my knees and left elbow. Maybe around spring time, the doctor injected me with some roids that is a painkiller version, not the one to make you stronger.

Even in MMA, Royce Gracie got suspended for using roids for pain/injury.
        Last edited by loui_ludwig; 12-27-2009, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loui_ludwig View Post
          I don't know a lot about roids or illegal substances but isn't there also roids for pain/injuries. I have problems with my knees and left elbow. Maybe around sping time, the doctor injected me with some roids that is a painkiller version, not the one to make you stronger.

I do know that HGH is for quicker recovery/ better sleep. And like Paulie said, you can't overtrain.

Comment

Originally posted by jri9d0 View Post
            Not that I’m implying or advocating anything here but I work in healthcare and I spoke to healthcare officials who administer these type of drugs and they all seem to agree that those type of steroids are not anabolic by any means. Therefore, they don’t have the same effect as that of testosterone or any type of illegal diuretic.

Again, just what I’ve been told by these professionals as I don’t know much about these type of drugs.

Peace.
            Stanozolol (which is what he tested positive for) is an anabolic steroid.

Comment

Please, Toney was busted again in 2007 without Roach---did Roach send roids to Toney that time too?

Comment

Originally posted by loui_ludwig View Post
                I don't know a lot about roids or illegal substances but isn't there also roids for pain/injuries. I have problems with my knees and left elbow. Maybe around sping time, the doctor injected me with some roids that is a painkiller version, not the one to make you stronger.

That’s was my point, there are also steroids administered for breathing treatments in that they help open up the pathway of the lungs for breathing in some cases. So, in a sense this is getting blown a little out of proportion.

Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by jri9d0 View Post

Peace.
                  You posted before me but yeah i have 1 injection of steriods for my knees or elbow(don't remember). I believed they have some medicational creams with roids in it also.

Comment

OMG AMIR !! Amir should ask Freddie what the **** is up! If Freddie has a steroid history Amir should leave him right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X