Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest changes in Boxing if/when the UFC/WME comes in? Sanctioning Bodies dead?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is WME trying to get involved in boxing??

I thought MMA was going to make boxing extinct/irrelevant according to White/MMA fans 10 years ago.

Wasnt boxing supposed to be dead after Mayweather, Dana??

Why should we as long time fans want a man who spent a good time dogging the sports controlling the best fights??

I have no problem with Dana selling his product, but I dont want this man or his propaganda team in boxing.

Rousey, McGregor, and Lesner were WWE type hype jobs that never lasted long enough to make the hype look legit. Like a previous poster said, they would have no problem finding the next roided Tommy Morrison and making him out to be the next Mike Tyson.

I could see WME letting their hype jobs siding on Drug testing like MMA. They need to get VADA testing and clean up their own promotion before I would say you could trust them with cleaning up the REAL biggest problem in combat sports: Drug Testing.

That shouldn't just be up to sports commissions. It should be a crime to take certain performance enhancing drugs and fight professionally. Or at least make parties civilly responsible so harmed fighters can sue for damages against boxer and their management.

I dont see how WME coming into boxing and creating some arbitrary prize worth a made of value is going to help things. It just seems to me that their MMA hustle has plateaued and now they want to get into a more stable traditional sport that has some very nice growth potential.

They may try to say their ability to cross promote both sports will grow both platforms but I dont see it being that simple. MMA fans spent a good part of a decade separating themselves from boxing fans. I know a lot of guys on this site wouldn't want a flood MMA fans(Floyd vs Conner) posting on this site. Nor do boxing fans want the MMA/WWE pre fight BS that took place to promote the fight.

MMA is manufactured and forced. And their biggest earner had to box in order to get his biggest payday then proceeded to give to rats ass about his MMA career after he got paid.

Why fight to be the best if WME is going to have most of the control of when you fight and make most of the money like MMA?? For some BS pride and WME made up trinkets?? For Dana White and his legion of followers approval??

This is PRIZE fighting were fights get made because the money is right and the two guys participating feel the money is worth enough to fight each other. Belts DONT MEAN JACK UNLESS YOU BEAT A REAL CHAMP TO GET IT.

Who you beat is more important than ANY award. Money and bodies are all that really matter. Unless WME is gonna pony up and get more money for boxers then they can stay in their manufactured lane and satisfy their fans who like that WWE type promotion $h!t.
    Last edited by Joe Gans Louis; 06-15-2019, 10:06 PM.

Comment

At 2:10
      Media question: "What do you do about all the belts? [Do you create your own?]"

Dana: "That's a great question -- I don't know the answer to that... yet. I don't care if you're one of the promoters, or one of the fighters, or a sanctioning body, when you put on the right fights and do it the right way, everyone is going to make money."

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
        Actually you wouldn't have question my thought process... In the late '90s, I worked as analyst and PR officer at the Bucharest Stock Exchange...

... and again: PBC (which is a TV series, therefore a "product") is not a "legal entity" -- i.e. PBC is not a corporate body so incorporated and registered with the state authorities....
        For someone who allegedly worked in finance, you sure don't seem to understand business transactions, lol.

The TV operation, the unifed brand banner, and the fighters under management are all under separate companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          For someone who allegedly worked in finance, you sure don't seem to understand business transactions, lol.

The TV operation, the unifed brand banner, and the fighters under management are all under separate companies.
          ... OK.. you should should know better... I don't mind...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gans Louis View Post
            Why is WME trying to get involved in boxing?? I thought MMA was going to make boxing extinct/irrelevant according to White/MMA fans 10 years ago. Wasnt boxing supposed to be dead after Mayweather, Dana??
            Why should we as long time fans want a man who spent a good time dogging the sports controlling the best fights?? I have no problem with Dana selling his product, but I dont want this man or his propaganda team in boxing.

Rousey, McGregor, and Lesner were WWE type hype jobs that never lasted long enough to make the hype look legit. Like a previous poster said, they would have no problem finding the next roided Tommy Morrison and making him out to be the next Mike Tyson...

I dont see how WME coming into boxing and creating some arbitrary prize worth a made of value is going to help things. It just seems to me that their MMA hustle has plateaued and now they want to get into a more stable traditional sport that has some very nice growth potential.

They may try to say their ability to cross promote both sports will grow both platforms but I dont see it being that simple. MMA fans spent a good part of a decade separating themselves from boxing fans. I know a lot of guys on this site wouldn't want a flood MMA fans(Floyd vs Conner) posting on this site. Nor do boxing fans want the MMA/WWE pre fight BS that took place to promote the fight.

MMA is manufactured and forced. And their biggest earner had to box in order to get his biggest payday then proceeded to give to rats ass about his MMA career after he got paid.

Why fight to be the best if WME is going to have most of the control of when you fight and make most of the money like MMA?? For some BS pride and WME made up trinkets?? For Dana White and his legion of followers approval??

This is PRIZE fighting were fights get made because the money is right and the two guys participating feel the money is worth enough to fight each other. Belts DONT MEAN JACK UNLESS YOU BEAT A REAL CHAMP TO GET IT.

Who you beat is more important than ANY award. Money and bodies are all that really matter. Unless WME is gonna pony up and get more money for boxers then they can stay in their manufactured lane and satisfy their fans who like that WWE type promotion $h!t.
            To this day, I don't know how fans of Boxing are not fans of MMA. I can't understand why there is such resistance to MMA.

The WWE fake wrestling crap is fake wrestling crap, it's not sports. I couldn't care less about fake wrestling, but as we all agree, this is PRIZE fighting. Be it Boxing or MMA, personality matters, stories matter.

You acknowledge that this is PRIZE fighting but yet you deride Rousey and McGregor??? Cassius Clay knew the value of personality/talk. "Pretty Boy" Floyd knew the value of personality/image.

Like it or not, Boxing and MMA have borrowed from the fake wrestling crap, historically.

For what it's worth, Ronda and Conor were grass-roots phenomenons. The UFC and Dana can not create a "star" (from Pedro Rizzo, to Sage Northcutt, to Cynthia Calvillo, their hype-jobs don't work out). The best the UFC does is give the fighters the platform to preform, to be seen and to be heard. Hype alone get's extinguished quick.
            FYI, I first heard of Ronda Rousey when she was heading into her 2nd amateur fight off of some youtube video on a message board. And it was her crazy armbars, her ruthlessness in the cage, along with here personality/story outside of the cage, that kept me interested in her career. She earned the respect of fans and her fellow male fighters based on her in-cage performances, not based off of fake WWE hype.

The potential change that I hope for, the best the could come of this, is that the "sanctioning bodies" get exposed. The WBO, IBF, WBA, blah blah blah... they're all worthless middle-men that exist only to "tax" the fighters, as far as I can tell. They strip fighters from their belts left and right, they rank fighters based on... I don't know what(?!), the rankings are so contrived.

Last edited by USMCer; 06-21-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
              ... OK.. you should should know better... I don't mind...
              Whether it's the concert business, his TV work, and even so far into his run in boxing, Haymon has a model that he consistently follows.

Present the big picture, but have a Haymon Company [√] at each key point in the operation, working with whatever partner he wishes to work with on that particular point.

Why do you think that that's changed? lol

Comment

Who the fcck... Why the fcck... What the fuuk?

Nothing but CONTRIVANCE! "Sanctioning Bodies" are not good for the sport, not anymore.

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
                https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819518

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
                https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819502

1.) Canelo is still the Lineal Champion at 160.

2.) WBC been mandating GGG vs Charlo forever

3.) Charlo been taking step aside fees as any previous WBC Champion before him

4.) WBA has its Super Champion, GGG vs Jacobs was promoted as “Unification.”

5.) Canelo seeking higher weights with conflicts in schedule at 160, therefore, WBC created an “extension” as they did for Floyd, by creating the Franchise Champion. Floyd had special privileges with the WBC/WBA for 2 years at 147/154, and Al Haymon advised Floyd how to pay the bodies to cooperate.

And that’s all she wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCer View Post
                  WME-IMG, parent company of the UFC, is in talks to purchase Boxing's PBC and is rumored to be in talks to buy Top Rank, as well.

HBO Boxing is dead. DAZN is a new kid on the block. ESPN is all in on MMA, broadcasting partners with the UFC. Bob Arum is two hundred and ninety eight years old. If and when the UFC/WME gets into Boxing, they will instantly be a big player on the scene.

I get the feeling that we're sitting right on the precipice of major upheaval in the sport of Boxing.

What are some of the biggest changes that will happen if/when the UFC/WME gets into Boxing?

--- EDIT/UPDATE - June 18, 2019 ---

"You just have to fugken break it and rebuild it"

I’m rapidly liking you more and more pvt joker...my marine family and friends assure me, that drill instructors would love to teach me by the numbers... or I’d die in the process..

I’m pure knuckle head.... the m16 type two... is a toy... I like my hk,,, her name is honey Mae...she is a jealous hoe..... used in Mexico.....

I dream about sleeping with an mp5, M249, galil.... General Electric brings good things to life/light..the mini gun.. poetry ......

So, where where you posted... my nephews were in Iraq, then Afghanistan... were you a Paris island or 29 palms war dog... my people were devil pups.... then marines.. one reluctantly became a second lt...

Keep posting marine, as you were...

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                    I’m rapidly liking you more and more pvt joker...my marine family and friends assure me, that drill instructors would love to teach me by the numbers... or I’d die in the process..

I’m pure knuckle head.... the m16 type two... is a toy... I like my hk,,, her name is honey Mae...she is a jealous hoe..... used in Mexico.....

I dream about sleeping with an mp5, M249, galil.... General Electric brings good things to life/light..the mini gun.. poetry ......

So, where where you posted... my nephews were in Iraq, then Afghanistan... were you a Paris island or 29 palms war dog... my people were devil pups.... then marines.. one reluctantly became a second lt...

Keep posting marine, as you were...
                    Ha...

Grunt (the .50 cal is my baby, the MK-19 is my mistress, the M-240 was my first)

San Diego/Camp Pendleton (Parris Island is where Women Marines go to boot camp)

Operation Iraqi "Freedom"

Career-Expert Rifle Qual
                    Career-Expert Pistol Qual
                    Career-1st Class PFT'er
                    Catergory I AFQT/ASVAB Score

Comment

Originally posted by USMCer View Post
                      Ha...

Grunt (the .50 cal is my baby, the MK-19 is my mistress, the M-240 was my first)

San Diego/Camp Pendleton (Parris Island is where Women Marines go to boot camp)

Operation Iraqi "Freedom"

Career-Expert Rifle Qual
                      Career-Expert Pistol Qual
                      Career-1st Class PFT'er
                      Catergory I AFQT/ASVAB Score
                      As you were marine... my nephews ran that hill, what’s it called mt. MT mo****er????

My god son Michael, was the 50 cal guys...
                      He lit up fools wearing wimmin hijab.. he was some kinda NCO, led a team of men, he sleeps good, put in work, he learned how to shoot, from me, and honey Mae..

He lives in Vegas now, gots a wife and two kids.. his boy is named after me... his God father.. he sells cars, he has pics with Floyd, and others. I got a pic in one of my online boxscene albums.. he’s a good kid.. he did some extra training in Hawaii and Okinawa...

I never served... so I don’t know much..
                      I served hard time, uSP Leavenworth..

Comment

Working...
                      X