No announcement yet.

Tyson Fury

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    One of the worst HW champions of all time. Big, lumbering, awkward and dull. He overcompensated for all that with trash talk and silly antics at press conferences. The Primo Carnera of the 21st century, and I would still put my money on Carnera to beat him.
    You're thinking just like I was, just about half a dozen years or so ago
    He may very possibly not be now, but most certainly was, a phenomenal heavyweight talent
    And that's just his place in history as til now.
    While am in agreement with you over his highly amusing, but sometimes unnecessary trash talk
    He makes Carnera look like, the biggest spotty dog you ever did see (anyone ever see the woodentops lol)
    To call him dull is a bit like calling Peter McNeeley eloquent and safisticated

Comment

Originally posted by tonysoprano View Post
      Worst heavyweight champion of all time IMO.
      You really think Tyson is worse than Seldon or Charles Martin?

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
        Just pissed myself
        HAHA. It was a toy though. Going from memory and without checking youtube, I believe it was something kids used to make their own neon signs at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          HAHA. It was a toy though. Going from memory and without checking youtube, I believe it was something kids used to make their own neon signs at home.
          Yep,kids craze back in the 70's., Just too funny how it caught on

About right though wasn't it lol

Comment

The giant doughboy from Ghostbusters is the only thing he ever reminded me of. He did not remind me of a heavyweight champion. He was not even a good fighter. Beating a Klitschko who is throwing 5 punches per round is no great accomplishment. I am not sure it is an accomplishment at all. He would lose to Tommy Burns in a forty-five rounder because he could not stand up that long in the heat without a ring awning.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              The giant doughboy from Ghostbusters is the only thing he ever reminded me of. He did not remind me of a heavyweight champion. He was not even a good fighter. Beating a Klitschko who is throwing 5 punches per round is no great accomplishment. I am not sure it is an accomplishment at all. He would lose to Tommy Burns in a forty-five rounder because he could not stand up that long in the heat without a ring awning.
              Yes, Fury's sheer size without doubt, is definitely his greatest asset.
              But for a gigantic great lump, moves very deceptively indeed
              Versus Big Baby Miller in April if I was promoting him

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                Yes, Fury's sheer size without doubt, is definitely his greatest asset.
                But for a gigantic great lump, moves very deceptively indeed
                Versus Big Baby Miller in April if I was promoting him
                I always felt his mouth was his biggest asset. Without his mouth he'd likely has a much pub as David Price.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  I always felt his mouth was his biggest asset. Without his mouth he'd likely has a much pub as David Price.
                  I was referring to his boxing ability, not his gob, which in many ways has proven to be one of his poorer assets. Telling UKAD to **** off wasn't a particularly good move

Pricey lost publicity because he kept getting knocked out

Comment

Fury catches a lot of heat but to me he is a throwback. He was brought up learning the craft, even to the point where he abstained from the more ethnocentric bare knuckle bouts the gypsies are famous for. Fury moves very well because he was moving in a ring from an early age. His punching ability is unknown but he has a good KO percentage.

Fury knows how to use a jab and stay out of trouble. he can fight in all ranges and counter punch. In a word...he can do more things that any heavyweight right now and has decent stamina when training. If he applies himself he might even make it back into the ring.

Comment

On a History forum (where it of course is fashionable to talk down the present) it is only to be expected, that someone like Fury will be heavily criticized.

However, as Bill points out, he isn't/wasn't really as bad, as some people want to make him out to be.

When I was watching his fight with Wlad, I remember thinking after the first 3-4 rounds, that he would not be able to last the full 12 rounds. With all that movement, he would surely gas long before the end! Surprisingly (at least to me) this of course didn't happen.

Now you may argue, that Wlad looked awful, that he couldn't pull the trigger, that Fury was lucky to be in the right place at the right time, etc. And while this may be true, it's difficult to ignore that he moves very well for such a big man... and that he can whip himself into really good shape, when he's serious.

I'm not saying he's one of the best heavyweight champs ever - but he's certainly not the worst!
                      Last edited by Bundana; 02-01-2018, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X