No announcement yet.

Pugmire: Sources say HBO won't pay for GGG vs. Jacobs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    They have to offer Jacobs the required percentage based on what the winning purse bid amount is.

If Jacobs accepts it then the fight will be put on by whoever won the purse bid.

That's where the sticking point is going to be. If K2 isn't the one who wins the bid then I see HBO telling Golovkin to vacate the belt rather than seeing him fight on another network.
    That's the bottom line. People have been asking for the WBA to do this since the Canelo fight fell thru. Now they want to justify HBO not allowing GGG to defend his title off network. It's BS.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
      Youd think they'd be revealed before breaking the mw defense record.
      Bumlovkin isn't breaking any records anytime soon...

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Enough money to bid? Don't quote me and speak nonsense
        Yeah where is this money going to come from? For Jacobs to make 1.5 mill that is a 6 mill bid for 3 mill a 12 mil bid. The money isn't there. Nobody cares about Jacobs. His ratings are horrible. I think this whole ordeal will open your eyes to the fact that Pbc is clearly broke, and they can't afford these inflated purses anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flash13 View Post
          Yeah where is this money going to come from? For Jacobs to make 1.5 mill that is a 6 mill bid for 3 mill a 12 mil bid. The money isn't there. Nobody cares about Jacobs. His ratings are horrible. I think this whole ordeal will open your eyes to the fact that Pbc is clearly broke, and they can't afford these inflated purses anymore.
          You guys aren't getting it, no matter how many times Motorcity Cobra tries to explain it to you.

The fight has been ordered so it has to be made. It doesn't matter how much Jacobs wants, or how much Golovkin wants, because if they don't come to some agreement then it's going to purse bids anyway.

And whatever the winning purse bid is it will get split up as per the WBA rules.

The only thing that can stop this process from happening is if GGG fights Billy Joe Saunders because that is a unification which trumps a mandatory.

Comment

You guys aren't getting it, no matter how many times Motorcity Cobra tries to explain it to you.

The fight has been ordered so it has to be made. It doesn't matter how much Jacobs wants, or how much Golovkin wants, because if they don't come to some agreement then it's going to purse bids anyway.

And whatever the winning purse bid is it will get split up as per the WBA rules.

The only thing that can stop this process from happening is if GGG fights Billy Joe Saunders because that is a unification which trumps a mandatory.
            Thank you!

Comment

You have far more faith in alphabet groups than you should have.

But assuming this all goes down like you are saying...which I admit it could...there is going to be issues that'll prevent this fight from happening.

HBO imo won't let GGG off of their network. And rightfully so cuz they have a contract with him. Or Jacobs won't get paid enough to make this fight happen as if he can get the same or similar money for a Mora or Quillin level opponent as he would for GGG why wouldn't he? I would do the same if I was either side here so idk if anyone is really at fault or that either side should be biting the bullet to make this fight.

I suspect what'll happen is GGG is forced to drop a belt due to HBO or Jacobs will be forced to drop his regular belt due to an unrealistic offer based on his current earning power. This fight will not happen unless the two sides agree to it outside of a purse bid situation.

Comment

• Unifications only trump mandatories with the IBF. The only way this fight can be bypassed is with a step aside agreement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  You have far more faith in alphabet groups than you should have.

But assuming this all goes down like you are saying...which I admit it could...there is going to be issues that'll prevent this fight from happening.

HBO imo won't let GGG off of their network. And rightfully so cuz they have a contract with him. Or Jacobs won't get paid enough to make this fight happen as if he can get the same or similar money for a Mora or Quillin level opponent as he would for GGG why wouldn't he? I would do the same if I was either side here so idk if anyone is really at fault or that either side should be biting the bullet to make this fight.

I suspect what'll happen is GGG is forced to drop a belt due to HBO or Jacobs will be forced to drop his regular belt due to an unrealistic offer based on his current earning power. This fight will not happen unless the two sides agree to it outside of a purse bid situation.
                  If Jacobs isn't happy with what he's offered it goes to purse bid where he takes home 25%. What Jacobs wants or feels he deserves is irrelevant at this point. Why do people keep bringing up Jacobs demands? Jacobs is in no position to play hardball. What he's offered could very well exceed that 25% split. He would need a purse bid of $6 mil to get $1.5 mil in his pocket and I doubt anyone bids that much.

This is the perfect situation for K2 and Jacobs to stop bull****ting around. Jacobs can't demand an outrageous purse and K2 are forced to make a Jacobs or Saunders fight. All this back and forth in the media is over with. Time for all sides to put up or shut up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

That's pretty much what we've been saying in this thread. The fight won't happen because GGG is going to vacate the belt.

It's possible that Jacobs could be the one to bich out first but I don't think he will. If they can't come to an agreement then I see Jacobs being willing to follow the process and go to purse bids.

It will be at that point that Team Golovkin will blink first and and drop out because of HBO. The only thing that stops this is a unification fight with Saunders (as I understand it the alphabets groups have an informal agreement on that as seen at heavyweight.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post

I say that there is no way that HBO will allow Golovkin to go to Showtime, so they will accept a Golovkin/Jacobs fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X