No announcement yet.

How highly do you rate Ezzard Charles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Left Hook Leuty View Post
    Most probably the greatest Light Heavyweight ever, and a very good heavyweight. Probably in my list of top 10 HW.
    Really? I'd put him in the top 20 (him and Walcott could interchange depending on who you think was better, to be honest) but the top 10 is a bit of a stretch to me.

Comment

Yeah, depends how i'm feeling and what i'm doing though. Sometimes i would consider Moore to be the greatest light heavyweight. I need to do a new top 10 list of the weightclasses tbh!

Comment

Yeah, depends how i'm feeling and what i'm doing though. Sometimes i would consider Moore to be the greatest light heavyweight. I need to do a new top 10 list of the weightclasses tbh!
        Great division ain't it? Conn, Moore and Charles could all be viable contenders to the pinnacle spot.

Comment

Yep. Maxie Rosenbloom too. I also like Michael Spinks and Bob Foster in that division. Not the greatest though, but would say they fair very well head to head with the rest. Tunney could also rated very high as a light heavy to some people, although I like him at Heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by orriray59 View Post
            Great division ain't it? Conn, Moore and Charles could all be viable contenders to the pinnacle spot.
            and Spinks
            and Tunney

This division is so stacked that a fighter like Jones Jr. is typically not mentioned in the #1 discussion, which is really telling...

Comment

I just can't put Moore at the spot. Not in a universe where Charles exists.

Comment

Its all subjective. Like i said, i mainly have Charles there, but sometimes i think what Moore did was remarkable at Light Heavy. Look at the man's record! But yeah, at this moment in time Charles is the man there for me.

Comment

Its all subjective. Like i said, i mainly have Charles there, but sometimes i think what Moore did was remarkable at Light Heavy. Look at the man's record! But yeah, at this moment in time Charles is the man there for me.
                  I have no problem if one wants to put Spinks or Tunney etc , but the problem with Moore is that he is 0-3 against Charles, all 3 fights happening at the relevant weight. Great fighter, but he got mastered by another one of the contenders for the spot, and that is enough for me.

Comment

Yeah, i see your reasoning. However, i don't do rankings based on head to head (otherwise it leads to people saying that Marciano should be rated above Louis because he beat him for example). Charles was also the fresher of the two, and obviously had the style to beat Moore consistently. Still after all is said and done, I have Charles numero uno currently.

Comment

Yeah, i see your reasoning. However, i don't do rankings based on head to head (otherwise it leads to people saying that Marciano should be rated above Louis because he beat him for example). Charles was also the fresher of the two, and obviously had the style to beat Moore consistently. Still after all is said and done, I have Charles numero uno currently.
                      I can understand disregarding h2h but comparing Charles-Moore 1,2,3 to Marciano-Louis is simply ridiculous.

Moore was 30-32 when they fought, and went on to have the most celebrated part of his career *after* those fights. Louis was 37, shot to pieces and retired after the bout.

I also don't usually look at h2h (Holmes-Ali, Tyson-Holmes are other examples of terrible ones) but when you have a 3 fights series among prime fighters, it seems valid information.
                      Last edited by wmute; 01-06-2013, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X