Gene Tunney vs Ezzard Charles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Tunney vs Ezzard Charles?

Who wins this....???

great match-up which would be a very good fight, Charles boxing ability gives him the edge in the skills department with Tunney having the legs & movement to keep him out of harms way and make it a long night for Charles.. i see Tunney using the ring and being fleet-footed while building up a comanding lead with his jab, Charles has the ability to cut off the ring and land damaging left-hooks that drop Tunney for a couple of counts late in the fight.. when the score-cards are tallied up i have Ezzard Charles winning a split-decision verdict over 15rds

Comment

Razor close fight at light heavyweight or heavyweight.

I think they are both stylistic nightmares for each other but I shade Charles too. Ezzard outboxed the heavier handed, excellent jabbing and mobile Walcott twice ( Charles was obviously knocked out the third time they met, but I dont fancy that Tunney hit quite as hard as Walcott ) so I think he would have enough smarts to just outbox Tunney too.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        great match-up which would be a very good fight, Charles boxing ability gives him the edge in the skills department with Tunney having the legs & movement to keep him out of harms way and make it a long night for Charles.. i see Tunney using the ring and being fleet-footed while building up a comanding lead with his jab, Charles has the ability to cut off the ring and land damaging left-hooks that drop Tunney for a couple of counts late in the fight.. when the score-cards are tallied up i have Ezzard Charles winning a split-decision verdict over 15rds
        Good styles analysis Sonny!..

This is a match-up i've always struggled with and i'd like to see some other opinions, as I could choose either of these two on different days.. They're without doubt the best 2 light-heavyweights never to win the title, and ability wise, should be above all those who have held the belt.. I don't see Quawi, Spinks, Foster or Moore beating either of them at 175, and I think if they fought each other it'd be one of the closest fights in boxing history.. I'd say Tunney is the better boxer, but Charles has dealt with and adapted to more ATG styles, giving him the stronger resume.. I think Charles takes it on most counts, but against the Tunney who beat Dempsey the first time, i'd put my money on Gene..

Comment

In other threads I have already said that Ezzard Charles was the greatest light heavy of all-time,with Gene Tunney second.

Head to head matchups do not always determine the best fighter.For example,who would rank Ken Norton over Muhammad Ali?

I believe Tunney would win head to head,but I still rank Ezzard Charles the greatest light heavy of all-time.

Comment

Working...
          X