Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd day Sparring for fight (video inside)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd day Sparring for fight (video inside)

This time vs a more seasoned fighter.. he is smaller but fast and slick.. he has a fight this weekend and wanted to get some sparring in

I took the advice yall gave last time... didn't turn my back and run out of corner this time.... keep leaving advice below .. I'll pretty much consider any good advice other than "don't drop your hands" or "no roy jones stuff" that's my style.. open for any other advice though

Rockin' I was gonna wear my headgear this time promise lol.. but coach said I didn't need it since this guy was smaller

at 2:26 I hit em pretty hard with 2 right hands..he staggered in the ropes a tab... I said my bad and tapped gloves with him.. he has a fight this weekend.. so wasn't trying to really land that flush

he caught me with a nice sneaky pull counter at 2:02...

Comment

No Roy Jones stuff!!!

Nah i'll take a look once I get off work

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
        No Roy Jones stuff!!!

Nah i'll take a look once I get off work
        u said that last time bro lol

Comment

Originally posted by McAlister View Post
          This time vs a more seasoned fighter.. he is smaller but fast and slick.. he has a fight this weekend and wanted to get some sparring in

I took the advice yall gave last time... didn't turn my back and run out of corner this time.... keep leaving advice below .. I'll pretty much consider any good advice other than "don't drop your hands" or "no roy jones stuff" that's my style.. open for any other advice though

Rockin' I was gonna wear my headgear this time promise lol.. but coach said I didn't need it since this guy was smaller

You're trying to emulate Roy Jones hands position wich is somehow ridiculous for a beginner and won't help you.

You don't have Roy Jones reflexes from what I'm seeing and if you fight a technically well rounded fighter, he will throw that Roy Jones stuff to the trash.

You're not a tall fighter so tighten your guard a little bit more.

Fight simple and you will find efficiency.

Boxing is a very serious sport.

Good job overall, you're doing some quite nice things.

You deserve respect for doing some sparring (most of the cats out there wouldn't).

Do you have a fight planned?

Comment

As said above, you lack the reflexes to pull off that Roy style but if you insist on doing it then do your thing.

You are crazy open for a straight right hand counter due to you keeping that left so low, you don't even protect your chin from it after a jab which, in my opinion you can see coming from a mile away cause you keep your hands so low. I'm honestly surprised dude only hit you with that pull counter once because of the reason above

Decent footwork though. Didn't really see you throw the left hook which you are gonna need fighting with that style. Maybe in your next video

Comment

You were agaisnt a smaller opponent trying to counter you. You need to boss him more. ..you were on the back foot far too much & hesitant to throw. you had success when you jabbed him to the chest buy you don't follow it up. You should have moved to your right to force him left..putting him in the corner where he loses his chance to get out & loses any advantage he had over you. The guy was begging for an uppercut but you need to throw your punches in bunches...a lead uppercut followed an overhand right...lots to do but at least you're in the gym

snap that jab into his chest and he retreats...rinse and repeat..then when that's what's he expecting straight right left hook or throw that uppercut ..

Comment

Originally posted by ukbox View Post
                You were agaisnt a smaller opponent trying to counter you. You need to boss him more. ..you were on the back foot far too much & hesitant to throw. you had success when you jabbed him to the chest buy you don't follow it up. You should have moved to your right to force him left..putting him in the corner where he loses his chance to get out & loses any advantage he had over you. The guy was begging for an uppercut but you need to throw your punches in bunches...a lead uppercut followed an overhand right...lots to do but at least you're in the gym

snap that jab into his chest and he retreats...rinse and repeat..then when that's what's he expecting straight right left hook or throw that uppercut ..
                Yeah I got you.. this was only day 2 of me sparring in 7-8 yrs... so I don't have stamina right now to throw combos.. I can pretty much just do 1 shot counters right now until I build up my stamina... the guys im sparring against in the vids I've been posting are already in fight shape and have been training... I'll keep that lead uppercut followed by the overhand right in mind for next time...

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
                  You're trying to emulate Roy Jones hands position wich is somehow ridiculous for a beginner and won't help you.

You don't have Roy Jones reflexes from what I'm seeing and if you fight a technically well rounded fighter, he will throw that Roy Jones stuff to the trash.

You're not a tall fighter so tighten your guard a little bit more.

Fight simple and you will find efficiency.

Boxing is a very serious sport.

Good job overall, you're doing some quite nice things.

You deserve respect for doing some sparring (most of the cats out there wouldn't).

Do you have a fight planned?
                  I'm not a beginner.. I used to box 8 years ago.. I was 144 then.... I'm 185 now and out of shape... So have a lot of rust and stamina issues... But my style remains the same... I have 7 weeks til this fight I'm taking . its a charity fundraising event which is why I decided to do it after so many years.. So when I put day 2 sparring... I meant.. Day 2 after 8yrs off... I can fight with my style which is similar to jones style.. All I need to do is keep sparring get as much rust off as I can and build my stamina... If I have more stamina to actually throw combos and not gas ... Its not going the distance lol

Comment

Throw a lot more body shots. It's the best way to slow down a faster/slick fighter.

The Roy Jones stuff is fine. It's your style don't try and change it for nobody. Fighting naturally is a lot better than fighting some artificial, cookie cutter style. I see a lot of guys on forums recommend the same things to all fighters then try and act like they are boxing aficionados. Every fighter is different.

Comment

Working...
                    X