Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaire reaches agreement to return to Top Rank

Dennis 'D Source' Guillermo
    July 15, 2011

Breaking News! WBO/WBC World bantamweight champion Nonito 'The Filipino Flash' Donaire, Jr. has reached an agreement with Top Rank Promotions and worked out their issues, forging a new partnership together working hand-in-hand in moving forward with his boxing career.

"We have reached a new respect for each other and are moving forward together. There were a lot of things that have been said that have put a strain in the relationship, but both parties have agreed to open the lines of communication and wipe the slate clean," Donaire broke the story to me first on the phone moments ago.

All aspects of the agreement are confidential, and Donaire was not at liberty to discuss the terms of his new agreement with me. The new partnership puts an end on the impasse with Donaire's boxing career.

"Both parties have agreed to drop our cases with the arbitration, and we are going ahead to work together, and I'm excited to move on with my career," Donaire stated.

Donaire also informed me, that the article I wrote last week, ("Fake hype: Bradley denies Top Rank signing; Donaire not close to Top Rank deal") aided in constituting his new agreement with Top Rank. "I also want to thank you D, for giving the opportunity to clarify the rumors that were going around last week and calling me, and verifying what was going on with my situation with Top Rank, instead of just spreading rumors," a notably relieved and ecstatic Donaire told me.

"I also want to thank my wife Rachel, who gets the brunt of all blame when things get tough, but she was actually the one who personally met with Top Rank to find resolution and mediate things for me, when both parties were looking the other way," Donaire said and added, "she looks out for my best interest, and it's unfortunate that she takes the blame for things I ask her to do for me."

Rachel joked that the manner she dresses was not part of discussions for the new agreement.

"With all honesty, the reason why both parties came together this week was because of your article that said we weren't comfortable in where we stood in terms of our relationship with Top Rank," Rachel shared with me. "This entire time, we were talking back and forth, but they assumed we were comfortable with the terms, but when your article launched, they revised the contract after the Rios-Antillon fight, and everything was good after that, so thank you for always helping the fighters."

All's well that ends well. This is definitely good news for Donaire fans, and boxing fans in general. Donaire has been in the gym for almost a month now, just getting back in shape. Top Rank is said to be inquiring with HBO for a fight date for Donaire's ring return, which will be likely around October.
    Last edited by ThunderWolf; 07-15-2011, 06:03 PM.

Why even make this post? Theres an official POST with the EXACT same title made an hour ago, ITS RIGHT ABOVE THIS ONE FFS, cmon man!

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=495002

Comment

Originally posted by Medved View Post
      Why even make this post? Theres an official POST with the EXACT same title made an hour ago, ITS RIGHT ABOVE THIS ONE FFS, cmon man!

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=495002
      KK, nobody`s perfect, tried to delete but can`t. However, there are some things in this article which is not in the official thread, which were somehow edited.

I always thought that if you quote a writer, it should not be edited unless with the writer`s permission.
      Last edited by ThunderWolf; 07-15-2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderWolf View Post
        KK, nobody`s perfect, tried to delete but can`t. However, there are some things in this article which is not in the official thread, which were somehow edited.

I always thought that if you quote a writer, it should not be edited unless with the writer`s permission.
        Im pretty sure BoxingScene pays them a royalty

Comment

i hope his next fight is sooner than oct

Comment

Working...
          X