Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realistically, when will Spence fight Crawford/Thurman??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
    You realize all the fights you listed didn't happen all at once it was a couple year span. The same can be said in the last 3 years there's been

GGg/Canelo
    Canelo / Cotto
    May / PAC
    The Cruiserweight SBSS winner
    Thurman / Garcia
    LSC / Frampton

That's the problem with boxing fans they romanticize the past too much instead of appreciating what here now. There may not be a prime Roy Jones fighting now but there's Prime Crawford , Spence , Canelo , AJ/ wilder , Loma maybe the Charlios all great fighters writing their legacys now

This is so wrong , the plan to unify a new WW champ has been years in the making since probably before May / PAC

I remember watching a Mayweather PPV I forget which one and they interviewed like Garcia , Thurman , Porter or something like that planting seeds to the viewers about setting up a true WW champ. I remember watching that like last year and realizing this plan has been in place years before the fans even figured it out.

Letting it build slow for me is a better model anyway compared to the UFC where they just throw a top fighter against each other. It doesn't give time for fans to get behind guys in their way up and constantly putting their fighters against elites shortens their career and that why the UFC is lacking in stars right now because they don't marinate enough

Obviously there's a fine line but you want to build these fights up and that takes time
    I like your post. Thank you for explaining it so well. Maybe I'm being a little impatient, but I still do wanna see the top dogs fighting each other soon. It seems like everything is being marinated too long these days, tho!

Your post reminded me of my boy Erickson Lubin. That fight was too soon!

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
      Letting it build slow for me is a better model anyway compared to the UFC where they just throw a top fighter against each other. It doesn't give time for fans to get behind guys in their way up and constantly putting their fighters against elites shortens their career and that why the UFC is lacking in stars right now because they don't marinate enough

Obviously there's a fine line but you want to build these fights up and that takes time
      This marination thing should be discouraged. It's actually stupid especially coming from fans. It assumes things will always be perfect in the interim, ie, no injuries incurred, no upsets, etc.

Like the other poster mentioned, the Brook Spence fought had orbital bone injury. Many fights were fought with one or the other got put to sleep, no longer in his prime element... Man, we don't even know what's in store for us tomorrow, let alone weeks, months, years...

Comment

Originally posted by BreWall View Post
        Last I checked, Spence wanted to fight in August in his hometown in Texas last year. What the hell happened?
        Spence fought the last week of May. In a long grueling fight overseas. Even if Showtime was willing to give him another date 8-12 weeks later (and honestly how many guys are headlining premium cable dates with that kind of frequency), you really think he was going to be ready to start another training camp for his first defense two weeks after the Brook fight? Last I checked, you have absolutely no way of knowing what Spence actually wanted, but anybody with common sense would have known August was never going to happen and wouldn't have happened no matter who his manager, promoter, or network was.

Then why don't you just say

Crawford is promoted by Arum.

Spence is promoted by Haymon.

The end?
        Because despite saying that in another thread, and despite ignoring Crawford for the very reasons you laid out, you then specifically asked me to comment on when a Crawford fight would happen. Sorry you don't like the answer.

When all the top welterweights are aligned with Haymon/Showtime except for one guy aligned with Arum/ESPN, and Haymon/Showtime have the three most important championships and Arum/ESPN only have the bogus title, any boxing fan should be rooting for Crawford to switch sides. Why would you root for Spence to switch sides when it would just further the divide instead of ending it?

Comment

Crawford is anyones guess due to Uncle Bob/Haymon politics, but there is zero reason why Thurman vs Spence shouldnt happen this year. Zero. They are with the same gottdamn promoter

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            there is zero reason why Thurman vs Spence shouldnt happen this year. Zero. They are with the same gottdamn promoter
            There's a great reason. Money. The fight would be much bigger next year than it would be this year. Most casual fans don't even know who Spence is yet. He just won his first world title (as the B-side). He's about to headline Showtime Championship Boxing as the A-side for the very first time.

Keith is coming back from injury against a credible opponent and then will have to make at least one mandatory defense. Spence has the IBF belt and therefore will have to worry about another mandatory very soon.

So fighting each other in the big March CBS fight next year makes way more business sense than fighting each other this year.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
              There's a great reason. Money. The fight would be much bigger next year than it would be this year. Most casual fans don't even know who Spence is yet. He just won his first world title (as the B-side). He's about to headline Showtime Championship Boxing as the A-side for the very first time.

Keith is coming back from injury against a credible opponent and then will have to make at least one mandatory defense. Spence has the IBF belt and therefore will have to worry about another mandatory very soon.

So fighting each other in the big March CBS fight next year makes way more business sense than fighting each other this year.
              Thurman has plenty of time to get in a tune up and a mandatory before fighting Spence at the end of the year.

Comment

Crawford is anyones guess due to Uncle Bob/Haymon politics, but there is zero reason why Thurman vs Spence shouldnt happen this year. Zero. They are with the same gottdamn promoter
                Thurman is still not back from an injury. There's no reason that pushing it back should be an issue for Thurman, he's so far got the best names on his resume and has been fighting injuries the past couple of years.

Comment

Thurman has plenty of time to get in a tune up and a mandatory before fighting Spence at the end of the year.
                  kk lmk the next time thurman fights 3 times in a calendar year . . .

Comment

Working...
                  X