Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Roy Jones Jr blatantly duck / avoid Dariusz Michaelczewski? Why?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rahat View Post
    Darius wanted to stay in his country... so did roy jones so gotta blame both of them
    Pretty much this.

I hate Americans who say "you gotta fight in America to prove yourself"! LOL WUT??

They both were making good money and were extremely popular in their home countries.

Usually in this situation, one of the fighters has to make a sacrifice by giving the other fighter the lion's share of the purse, and a damn good purse at that, to leave their country. An example of this was Povetkin vs Wilder, Broner vs Burns (before it fell through Burns was gonna get lion's share to travel to Cincinnati when they were both at 130), and plenty more examples.

Roy Jones prolly thought he was the better universal/international star (and he definitely was),and thought "no way am I giving up money."

And I doubt there was enough money to lure Jones over to Poland.

Ultimately neither fighter was "scared" of the other - these are professional boxers who have been fighting their entire lives. However, boxing is a business, and neither figured, after weighing the pros and cons, it was worth to make the sacrifices they thought they were entitled to, in order to make the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      The WBA immediately stripped him for displaying its belt along with that of the WBO, an organization it didn't recognize. Michalczewski was then forced to relinquish the IBF title when he was unable to defend the title in a court-ordered defense against mandatory challenger
      The WBA rule was well known and DM knew he couldn't keep the WBA title unless he vacated the bogus title. He chose to hide behind the unrecognized belt rather than maintaining the responsibilities of a true world champion.

DM's fight with Hill was delayed numerous times after the initial IBF ruling, which resulted in the court order before the fight took place. But had DM been willing to fight Gunthrie, the deadline could have been postponed. DM's team claimed they didn't want to do business with DKP, but if you want to be a real world champion, you don't get to pick your mandatories.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
        The WBA rule was well known and DM knew he couldn't keep the WBA title unless he vacated the bogus title. He chose to hide behind the unrecognized belt rather than maintaining the responsibilities of a true world champion.
        Wtf? True world champion? You are saying, that if you get stripped by an alphabet org you are not a true champion? Are you ******ed? Are you aware of how many great fighters you thereby deem to not be true champions? I have never ever here on boxingscene met anyone giving so much credence to those crooked so-called governing bodies.

Let’s see. Let’s name some fighters that you don’t think are ‘true champions’:
        Muhammad Ali
        Larry Holmes
        Joe Calzaghe
        Canelo
        Floyd Mayweather

And on and on. Wow!

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but still..... wow!

DM's fight with Hill was delayed numerous times after the initial IBF ruling, which resulted in the court order before the fight took place. But had DM been willing to fight Gunthrie, the deadline could have been postponed. DM's team claimed they didn't want to do business with DKP, but if you want to be a real world champion, you don't get to pick your mandatories.
        See above. Just as an example, Floyd vacated the IBF title rather than facing mandatory Suarez.

I guess Floyd isn’t a real world champion in your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by ESAU View Post
          I hate Americans who say "you gotta fight in America to prove yourself"! LOL WUT??
          Why are you laughing? You sound ignorant actually.

The USA is the Mecca of Boxing. We have a global base unlike other countries who home cook the results more than they don't. Not saying US doesn't experience corruption, it does but its not on the level of other countries.

If you pay attention long enough you see countries like Germany and UK with the worst possible results time and time again throughout history.

USA is the land of milk and honey my friend. If that bothers you, you need need to re-evaluate why you're feeling like this.

Comment

roy did a lot of ducking and dodging in his career, not just in the ring.

Comment

Wtf? True world champion? You are saying, that if you get stripped by an alphabet org you are not a true champion?
              No, I am saying that if you choose to hide behind an unrecognized title, you can't complain when you don't get the same accolades as those defending proper titles.

Are you ******ed?
              Why don't we each have our intelligence tested and place a large wager on which of us scores higher? If you believe I am ******ed, you should be very eager to accept this offer. Let me know if you are interested and we can begin drawing up contracts. Thanks.

Are you aware of how many great fighters you thereby deem to not be true champions?
              Those that truly want to prove they are the best don't hide behind unrecognized titles. The British fighters of the 90s who preferred to hide behind bogus belts should not be given the same credence as those that held the recognized world championships of the time.

I have never ever here on boxingscene met anyone giving so much credence to those crooked so-called governing bodies.
              That is because many internet nerds prefer to live in a fantasy land. The cold reality of the sport is that the fighters, managers, promoters, venues and TV networks choose to have the sport revolve around the governing bodies. I am simply acknowledging reality.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                Why are you laughing? You sound ignorant actually.

The USA is the Mecca of Boxing. We have a global base unlike other countries who home cook the results more than they don't. Not saying US doesn't experience corruption, it does but its not on the level of other countries.

If you pay attention long enough you see countries like Germany and UK with the worst possible results time and time again throughout history.

USA is the land of milk and honey my friend. If that bothers you, you need need to re-evaluate why you're feeling like this.
                Reality exists outside of USA. And everything you stated about other countries like Germany is totally your opinion which someone else has every right to disagree with, without them being 'ignorant.

Boxing is a GLOBAL sport. Not purely an American sport. So it's you who is in greater need of re-evaluating themselves.

One doesn't need to box in USA at all to prove themselves. That's an utter and total myth.

Comment

I don't know about that, but what I do know, is that DM was offered a slot on a Jones undercard for much less money than what a standard defense in Germany would give him.

It might have been worthwhile had jones guaranteed a subsequent fight but he wouldn't.

In other words Jones wasn't really interested in becoming champion. He just wanted to milk his trinkets against lousy opposition for HBO millions. Makes a lot of business if not sporting sense.
                  How many times have we done this Bat?

Ha!

We've been debating this for years now.

Dariusz wasn't offered a slot on Roy's undercard for less money.

That is simply not true.

At the time, Kerry Davis of HBO, had been trying to contact Peter Khol via phone, to open negotiations for Dariusz to go to the U.S.

After he couldn't obtain Khol, he came up with the idea of putting the 2 fighters together in a 'double header' to introduce Dariusz to a live U.S. audience. His proposal was merely a suggestion. And it was faxed over because he couldn't contact him via phone.

No specifics of the deal were outlined. There was no venue, no opponent, and no financial sum detailed. It was just a suggestion. But without coming back to the table and saying "We'd possibly be interested, but we'd like to know exactly what you're proposing....." the idea was turned down flat. But the fax would never have been sent in the first place had Khol been willing to take Davis' calls.

I think it's hilarious that you keep noting that there was no guaranteed fight between them afterwards. It's laughable. IF Dariusz had been willing to go to the U.S. as part of a 'double header' then of course something would have been put in place for them to fight afterwards. Otherwise, what would have been the point of putting it together in the first place? Universum and HBO are huge networks who work out deals worth millions of dollars.

Regarding your last paragraph, you've got to be trolling for a joke.

Roy is the one who tried to fight Bernard Hopkins after negotiations fell apart.

Roy is the one who then went on to fight John Ruiz.

Roy is the one who then went on to fight Antonio Tarver.

Roy pursued the biggest fights after failed negotiations.

It was Dariusz who milked his lightly regarded WBO belt against the likes of: Lakatos, Hall, Harding and Gonzalez, 3 of whom who'd already been easily beaten by Roy.

Comment

Rightfully?

Some standards you have. Here's what happened:

"The WBA immediately stripped him for displaying its belt along with that of the WBO, an organization it didn't recognize. Michalczewski was then forced to relinquish the IBF title when he was unable to defend the title in a court-ordered defense against mandatory challenger William Guthrie within a little over a month after the bout with Hill.[1]''

From wikipedia
                    After all of these years, I've still never gotten to the bottom of this.

Did they immediately strip him there and then, or did they say he'd be stripped if he didn't immediately drop the WBO belt?

Did he have a choice?

If he'd have immediately dropped his WBO belt, could he have kept his others?

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
                      roy did a lot of ducking and dodging in his career, not just in the ring.
                      Enlighten us.

Comment

Working...
                      X