Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with Achilles tendons pain?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with Achilles tendons pain?

Hey people,

a beginner here. I was sick last couple of days, spent most of the time in bed with flu so I haven't been in the gym for too long. However, when I went out of the flat for the first time this morning, my Achilles tendons hurt -- not extremely but still... First of all, I don't get it because after training I don't usually feel pain there and now this is after a couple of days of literally no activity. I wanted to go to the gym tomorrow or the day after but with this pain, I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that which pisses me off as I already missed a lot because of the flu.

Have you got any ideas on what might have gone wrong or perhaps tips what to do to be able to train?

Thanks in advance,
    J.

Hi there, I've had achilles tendonitis on both sides to an acute level in the past. Hopefully you just have a minor injury, but if pinching the achilles tendon is pretty painful then you need to take care.

The trick to prevent and/or recover from this nasty affliction is to practice eccentric heel drops several times a day with straight leg and bent knees.

I'm sure Google or you tube will have a good instructional video. If you search 'eccentric exercises for achilles tendinopathy' I'm sure you'll be on the right path......

Comment

Take it light, listen to your body, and it the pain continues, please see a doctor. Achilles injuries can be serious and long-term if not properly identified and treated

Comment

First you have to evaluate whether you are a flexible athlete? most people that have issues with Achilles, or any tendon's elsewhere in the body are inflexible athletes. Your tendons are like elastic bands/springs, and when you are exercising they first first store energy from your muscle contractions and then? Boom! they release like springs/pistons and release the energy that you have generated from your muscle contraction! If your tendons are inflexible or weak in anyway? they will give way under the forces produced by your muscles! (You will ether feel pain, or sustain a serious injury!)....

You have pain in your Achilles tendon, because you have over worked it! or there may be a underlying weakness. To prevent this from happening you need to strengthen your tendons, and make them more flexible!

Allot of modern day footwear actually weakens your Achilles tendon! That is why you see some athletes squatting bare foot! or running on sand in bare foot! (Because it strengths your Achilles tendon more). In the sport of track and field athletes most African middle-distance and distance runners, grew up running bare foot on sand! where as European athletes enjoyed the comfort of a nice pair of Nike trainers! (Most European distance athletes suffer from more Achilles injuries, because their tendons have been weakened over time! (Sports bio-mechanics are now aware of this, and so are the footwear companies!)....

When i am training in my garage, i only wear soaks (I don't wear trainers!). Plus as a child i was always involved in track athletics, so i was always doing various flexibility exercises.....

I suggest you research ways to strengthen your Achilles tendon, and also increase flexibility! (The only way that muscles/tendons get injured? is by them ether lacking strength or flexibility!).....

You can also buy these trainers...

Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 02-17-2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much, guys. The pain isn't severe (I actually feel it just now and then and not overwhelmingly) so I'll try some workouts to strengthen the tendons and I'm perhaps going to take it slow with the gym itself.
          PRINCEKOOL: I actually wear "barefoot" shoes all the time -- I have two casual/social pairs and one pair of sneakers. I've had a lot of issues because I have very flat feet and this has helped me greatly!

Comment

Originally posted by Jovanny View Post
            Thank you very much, guys. The pain isn't severe (I actually feel it just now and then and not overwhelmingly) so I'll try some workouts to strengthen the tendons and I'm perhaps going to take it slow with the gym itself.
            PRINCEKOOL: I actually wear "barefoot" shoes all the time -- I have two casual/social pairs and one pair of sneakers. I've had a lot of issues because I have very flat feet and this has helped me greatly!
            Decent! it may just be a bio-mechanical issues that you can work around! through training you will learn more and more about yourself! (Its like formula one, the way they constant test the cars to learn more and more how it reacts to different situations)...

Comment

Working...
            X