Collapse
No announcement yet.

GBP fighters keep losing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canelo is really the only one who is a superstar. Mattysse-Postol was 50-50 to those who know the sport and DL was a huge underdog; neither one was a big star. Its really all riding on Canelo.

Comment

When you don't pay your fighters millions to fight strippers and plumbers you risk taking a loss. #freeboxing

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        I don't think it will end like that. Guys like Lara and Floyd are the type of style that offers a challenge to Canelo. Cotto has a jab but he is right there in front of you and he has the shorter arms, is the shorter guy and is open to uppercuts, one of Canelo's best punches.

This will be a close fight at times but Canelo is going to bust Cotto's face up and hurt him. That diva has talked some massive trash about Canelo and now it's going to be time to pay the piper.
        i dont know man that jab is probably the most important thing when fighting canelo not to mention that hook will be there all night. i dont know why i just feel like cotto is going to win even tho hes getting old. well see tho i just think people are over rating canelo cause of his last fight against kirkland he looked great but i mean lets not make it something it wasnt. it was like the lemiuex fight its a fight set up they will pretend will be a fan friendly brawl but the reality is the better fighter should be favored a good 30 to 1

Comment

What a strange way to think about it.

The point is to make great fights and bring excitement. Oscar lost a ton of fights and yet carried the sport, same for Pac.

I'll rather promoters make good fights than pad records.

I love what GBP has done this year with its limited stable.

Comment

Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Boy_Promotions

They still have some decent names. Sadam Ali is probably their next cash crow assuming he doesn't suffer any big losses.

Diego De La Hoya will be a cash cow for even a little bit assuming he is any decent. Just look at how fans acted towards JCC jr., they all watched and were hoping he was something like his father.
            Agree that Sadam & Diego will likely be the next guys coming up. I still really like Frankie Gomez too & I'd throw him in a top 3 GBP next generation guys with those other two. He's been a bit of a f#ck up & is obviously a riskier proposition doe. Think he's on his 3rd 10mo+ layoff in just the last 4-5yrs, but he's still just 23 & I think he's destined to hold a title it'll just be about what all his capable of after he wins to me.

Comment

First off, GBP got a huge settlement from Haymon for all the fighters he took with him to the PBC. Even if every GBP fighter they currently have retires tomorrow, they aren't going to close up shop. They have a good relationship with HBO, in time they will get lots of the prospects you're all talking about on their airwaves.

Also, I would argue they did a great job for Lemiux. He wasn't going to win the GGG fight whenever he got around to taking it, why not strike now while it was hot? They got him a 1.5 million dollar + upside (if there is any) payday, and I'd bet HBO takes his next fight or 2 since he didn't embarrass himself. He still has a career. They could have put him in a fight against a lesser fighter where he could have lost for 1/3 of the money he made last night.

And Lucas lost, but there are fights you can put him in that HBO will take and people will want to see (Ruslan again, maybe Rios or Sadam Ali). It's not the end for him either.

Comment

I don't get all the hate. I think gb is doing great now that Oscar is taking charge. This is what boxing is all about, the best fighting the bedtime who cares about the record really. Since oscars return gb has put up tough exciting bouts. Look at hops vs kov, Lemieux vs ggg, mathysse vs postol, canelo vs cotton mattysse vs Provo n so many more, give them credit man

Comment

gbp fighters lose while pbc fighters stay winning. thats what pbc fighters do. they win. doesn't matter who they fight because they win and a win is better than a loss.

Comment

Working...
                  X