No announcement yet.

How do you negotiate 2 job offers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you negotiate 2 job offers?

So last Friday, i had an interview that went pretty well and scheduled for a 2nd tuesday. I have another interview with another company tomorrow. So i was researching on both companies and came up with the question, what if both jobs offered me positions? i like how company A is running and i would go with that one (of course im thinking this before ive had the company B interview). they are both similar positions. but lets just say, i liked company A more, but company B was offering more, what could i say to company A to try and get them to give me a better offer?

Its a dangerous position that depends largely on how in demand you are.

If its a position with lot of applicants, I would just pick one and go with them, otherwise you could run the risk of not getting chosen by both of them.

If you are in a field that is in demand, where they are having trouble hiring enough people, then you can just let them know that one of their competitors is offering you more to do the same job.

Negotiation for before you are hired is a tricky prospect, it could send up red flags to the employer that you will be difficult to work with, depending on how you approach it.

What field are you working in?

Comment

Tell company A that you want to work for them, but you have a better salary package on the table.

Hopefully they up their offer, worst case scenario they refuse and you go to the job that pays more

Comment

If both jobs are equal, pay would be my motivating factor. Sometimes it is hard to really tell how good a job is til you been there a week or two. You could try negotiating a better starting pay but alot of jobs want to see what you do for them first and alot companies can get someone else very easily to inteview, so I would consider the posibility that asking for more may be risky.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
          If both jobs are equal, pay would be my motivating factor. Sometimes it is hard to really tell how good a job is til you been there a week or two. You could try negotiating a better starting pay but alot of jobs want to see what you do for them first and alot companies can get someone else very easily to inteview, so I would consider the posibility that asking for more may be risky.

this can be very true

it's also true that the people who are more qualified get paid more and do a better job.

it's a tough line to walk. i do think that he should approach the people offering him less and outline the package that the other company is offering. if there's not much of a difference and it's a big company it will be someting they're willing to do for you IF you are the right person for the job.

if the jobs are identical, TS, you should take the money. this is capitalism. you're getting paid by these people, but in the end you work for your own purposes and need to protect your interests.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            It is a risk, but at the same time you are setting out your table as someone who believes in their own abilities and is proactive in getting things done. Asking for what you think you are worth shows that you won't be afraid to tackle sensetive issues when required to in the workplace.

Companies rely on people not asking for what they are worth.

If you don't ask you will never get.

In my opinion if you have a fall-back then take the risk

Comment

Comment

I have actually been in a situation similar. I dreamed up some lie about an upcoming vacation, started work at the first place, found out after three weeks that I didn't like it and then accepted the other position.

I don't know if that's plausible for you but it worked well for me. I ended up staying with the company for eleven years.

Comment

i hope both of them would give u the BAN HAMMER just for the LOLz

Comment

I had this "problem" back in 2005/2006 when jobs were everywhere.

Go with company A if thats the one you like more. If company B offers you a job before you have the interview with company A, for the love of god accept the offer because you might not get the offer with company A. If the one you want offers you the job, take it.

Dont tell them youre looking at another company. You can go ahead and ask them how many people theyre interviewing. (recently for me, 10 to 20 people has been common for a single position), When they have that many to pick from its easy for them to drop you and take someone else rather than offer you a higher salary.

Comment

Working...
                    X