Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd turns down $65 million to fight Pacquiao!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd turns down $65 million to fight Pacquiao!

The latest in the ongoing saga of pound for pound standouts Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao is that the former has allegedly turned down yet another offer to fight the latter.

In a video interview with ***************'s Ellie Seckbach, Top Rank boss Bob Arum claims that an interested party from Singapore this week offered Mayweather $65 million to fight Pacquiao, which he turned down.

He also goes on to say that Mayweather wants no part of Pacquiao due to the Filipino being a southpaw but that he still hopes to see the fight eventually. (See the full interview here)

Thus far Mayweather has yet to comment on the statement, although he previously denied having turned down an offer of $50 million as Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz claimed last month.

If what Arum says is true, it shows that as unlikely as the fight has become, there are still plenty of interested parties trying to make it happen.

The bad news of course is that if Mayweather is indeed unwilling to fight Pacquiao for $65 million then it's perhaps reasonable to assume that he won't be interested for any amount of money. Whether through fear of losing to Pacquiao or just his fervent dislike of dealing with Arum.

The other possibility could be that Mayweather thinks that the offers will continue to increase as they have done over the past couple of years.

So far if this has been Floyd's strategy it seems to have been a sound one.

Initial estimates put the figure he and Pacquiao could each make at around $40 million, which more recently increased to an offer of $50 million each.

If this latest offer of $65 million each is genuine then Mayweather's apparent reluctance might have been simply down to wanting to make the most money possible for a last fight before retiring. Of course should he continue this too long then the interest from backers and the fans will eventually wane.

Of course it could be argued that Arum revealing these kinds of offers isn't necessarily a good thing.

Mayweather isn't someone who can be shamed or angered into accepting a fight if he doesn't want one, and Arum seemingly trying to irritate him isn't likely to improve any negotiations that might be going on behind the scenes.

Also before anyone gets too excited the exact terms of the offer weren't given by Arum, so if could be something other than the money that Mayweather disliked, such as presumably having to stage the fight in Singapore.

Justin Frank, Pitt: "Arum comes out with this stuff and Floyd denies it, I don't trust either of them"

Continue reading on Examiner.com Floyd Mayweather turns down new offer of $65 million to fight Manny Pacquiao - Pittsburgh Fight Sports | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/fight-sports...#ixzz1OHSiawRv

http://www.examiner.com/fight-sports...manny-pacquiao
    Last edited by Whodini; 06-04-2011, 12:12 AM.

I really think Johnson can outwork Froch tomorrow to win a razor thin decision

Comment

Johnson is weight drained. He's doomed.

Comment

this is reported every time they already have another fight set up for manny....lol arum always pulls this..hillarious

Comment

johnson-froch cant wait man...gonna be a war

Comment

"Top Rank boss Bob Arum claims that an interested party from Singapore this week offered Mayweather $65 million to fight Pacquiao, which he turned down."

^Read just that part over and over...THAT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME...why some RANDOM "PARTY FROM SINGAPORE" offer $65 Million just out of no where!

Something tells me that Arum is playing MIND GAMES with some fans that he knows is not that smart when it comes to Boxing and will run and believe what ever comes out of his mouth

Comment

if this is true, not i'm not surprised---floyd does not want this fight at all

Comment

War Johnson!!!!

Comment

War Johnson!!!! anyways EZ job for WARD the kid is smart and have skills remember me to floyd sometimes
                  Last edited by skillswin; 06-04-2011, 12:57 AM.

Comment

who in there right mind turns down 65 million?

Comment

Working...
                    X