Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are backhands illegal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is definitely not counted as a scoring punch within the rules and therefore it is not a punch that anybody really trains to throw.
    I'm probably completely wrong, but I don't think a back hand is exactly illegal. I don't remember seeing a fighter warned about it in the ring like an elbow or rabbit punch. Also you would have to point your elbow at your opponent before flicking out your forearm which is very hazardous to both their incoming punches and head.
    Ali sometimes used a sort of back hand up jab and Froch is another example, its not quite the same as a regular up jab as you are extending it at an angle.

Comment

Originally posted by luke1979 View Post
      It is definitely not counted as a scoring punch within the rules and therefore it is not a punch that anybody really trains to throw.
      I'm probably completely wrong, but I don't think a back hand is exactly illegal. I don't remember seeing a fighter warned about it in the ring like an elbow or rabbit punch. Also you would have to point your elbow at your opponent before flicking out your forearm which is very hazardous to both their incoming punches and head.
      Ali sometimes used a sort of back hand up jab and Froch is another example, its not quite the same as a regular up jab as you are extending it at an angle.
      It is illegal and people have complained and been warned about it. Opponents of Ali used to say he would "flick" his jab and actually connect with the back hand.

Comment

I don't even see how they would be even effective without spinning. The person throwing it would be extremely vulnerable.

Comment

In the realm of pugilism without rules as in MARTIAL ARTS or STREET FIGHTS, of course every part of the body is a "weapon". But in the sport of boxing, it is the tactical usage of "pinpoint" hitting utilizing only the knuckles or the "front of the fists"...

That's why the distinct movements developed through the sport of boxing evolved to what it is now. And thus also the sport of boxing could be "lacking" in a real life-self-defense situation wherein anything and everything used towards the preservation of one's body is a noble thing.

Comment

Originally posted by fabie View Post
            In the realm of pugilism without rules as in MARTIAL ARTS or STREET FIGHTS, of course every part of the body is a "weapon". But in the sport of boxing, it is the tactical usage of "pinpoint" hitting utilizing only the knuckles or the "front of the fists"...

That's why the distinct movements developed through the sport of boxing evolved to what it is now. And thus also the sport of boxing could be "lacking" in a real life-self-defense situation wherein anything and everything used towards the preservation of one's body is a noble thing.
            Unless you land a devastating right hand.....

Comment

I think its because its disrespectful, kinda like stabbing someone from the back. Boxing is about facing your opponent face to face.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
                I don't even see how they would be even effective without spinning. The person throwing it would be extremely vulnerable.
                I got a couple nasty backhand shots to throw. you can have a nice backhand jab that changes the trajectory of your jab.

you really just need a step for them to be effective, maybe not ko type power but they could cut or bruise an eye

Comment

anyone else imagined what Calzaghe would do to his opponents if he could add that into the wndmill of death?

just me?

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
                    It can be effective with hip torque just as a hook is.

Comment

Originally posted by fabie View Post

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
                      Unless you land a devastating right hand.....
                      yup.

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
                      It can be effective with hip torque just as a hook is.
                      Indeed, a well time / well-torqued backhand slap with the right body mechanics and leverage can be devastating, let alone embarrassing to the recipient.

Comment

Working...
                      X