Measured Against All Time - James Toney

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Ancient thread, but a good'un.
    I think Toney was truly special. But, I'll never respect a guy more because of his gifts or because he "doesn't have to workout".
    I have greater respect for the guys who have to work their asses off to get where they're at.
    IronDanHamza won't agree with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post

I'm pretty sure he's cristisizing Toney there with that post.

Comment

lol I was also hoping Dan would drop in and say something about this article

EDIT: Speak of the devil

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          I'm pretty sure he's cristisizing Toney there with that post.
          I was referring to the article, lol.

Comment

Well done, always great to see something like this on fighters like James Toney.

Comment

I usto to train with james back when he won the hw title, hard worker he would train half the night after the gym closed, he should of never done that ufc **** tho lol.

Comment

I was referring to the article, lol.
                Articles not bad.

But I don't know any other ATG's who have zero dominant wins over a top fighter

Comment

James toney one of the best defensive fighters ever, along with pernell whitaker.

Comment

Measured against the truly upper tier greats, which can range in number from 30-50 atgs, Toney's accomplishments and skillset are probably B+ at best BUT he could be in some fun fights and honestly, all this historical retrospective is a bit crap unless we're talking about the true greats and let's leave it at that.

I'd rather watch Toney over Whitaker, Jones or Hopkins any day of the week, yet they all rank higher.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Articles not bad.

But I don't know any other ATG's who have zero dominant wins over a top fighter
                      Uh, Wlad rings a bell.

I don't rate him highly all time, but I know people who do, and I would say as a devil's advocate that he beat no top fighter dominantly. No defining opponent in their prime.

My only point is that that really shouldn't be a barometer without considering the context of era, opportunities at the time, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X