Greater Accomplishment: Mayweather's 42-0 Or Chavez Sr's 89-0-1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
    He did not lose to Taylor, it was a legit stoppage
    Lol it was not a legit stoppage. There was like 1 second left in the fight.

Richard Steele and Chavez Sr have all confirmed this. You're more than welcome to think otherwise.

Comment

42-0

7 time champion in 5 divisions is alot more impressive

Comment

Legit stoppage, anyone?

Comment

I don't fully understand the premise of the thread. Are you asking who is the better fighter? Or who has the better resume at this time? Because Floyd beats on any version of Chavez Sr.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
            We're talking about "at the time" in their careers.

I'm kind of leaning on Chavez. I know he basically lost to Whitaker and Taylor, but Chavez was fighting every month or so against everyone.

I can see some making an argument for Mayweather regarding the weight classes, but I think it's close.

What do you say guys?
            Chavez! 89- 0 nobody can do that now adays nobody

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
              I don't fully understand the premise of the thread. Are you asking who is the better fighter? Or who has the better resume at this time? Because Floyd beats on any version of Chavez Sr.
              Nope, I'm asking is Floyd's resume at 42-0, better than Chavez when Chavez was 89-0-1 (at the time).

This isn't a "which fighter would win, head to head" type of thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                hahaha yeah right. :tongue:

Comment

chavez Senior. He had to train for twice as many fights!

As Floyds unbeaten record is his selling point, its best to compare him to Ottke or JC or Bradley.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                    We're talking about "at the time" in their careers.

I'm kind of leaning on Chavez. I know he basically lost to Whitaker and Taylor, but Chavez was fighting every month or so against everyone.

I can see some making an argument for Mayweather regarding the weight classes, but I think it's close.

What do you say guys?
                    Well let's talk turkey.

For an ATG, Chavez has an unusually high amount of padding on his resume. JCC went 56 FIGHTS without ever facing a world champion. Count 'em ... I said 56 FIGHTS!

As far as losses go, Chavez lost in his twelfth fight as a pro. He was disqualified and he was ruled the loser.

Somehow .. someway Chavez got that loss reversed as a KO win for him. To give forum members a more accurate account of what happened, let me quote:

"For many years all the leading record books, including both Pugilato and The Ring Record Book, recorded the first loss of Julio Cesar Chavez as being by disqualification....

This has since been changed to a knockout victory for Chavez, based on confirmation from the local boxing commission in Culiacan that it altered the verdict the following day.

Ramon Felix, manager of Chavez, happened to be a member of the Culiacan commission at the time."

That's the kind of crap that some fighters pull. That bull**** doesn't completely negate all of the great things Chavez has done, but it HAS TO BE factored in.

Just like his win over Meldrick Taylor was bull****. Two more seconds and Taylor would have won. Referee Steele has gone on record to say that had he known the time, he would have made a different call. Not that it makes a difference now.

Lastly, when JCC was at the same point that Mayweather currently is, he was already defeated, had a draw, was DQ'd but had it reversed, and had 56 padded bouts.

I love JCC and he's definitely a legend, but to fairly compare the two we have to compare them both up to the point where Floyd currently is.

Under that criteria, JCC loses to Floyd. The 56 fights really hurts him. I mean, he did fight for a vacant paper belt and he did defend it, but it doesn't hold a lot of weight because he hadn't faced a sitting champion until his 57th fight!

The loss and the draw have to be factored in. The overturning of the DQ was EXTREMELY shady. That too has to be factored in. JCC was working on his next loss to DLH in 1996.

So even if Cotto beats him, Floyd will still be ahead of Chavez by next year if he only has the one loss.

Despite the analysis, JCC is a favorite of mine. I really am fond of him as a fighter. The guy had great longevity like the old timers. You really have to admire that. His will and determination in his prime was astounding.

He is standard that all Mexican fighters hope to live up to.

Comment

Working...
                    X