How good of a trainer is Teddy Atlas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    Maybe.

But Moorer was a Kronk fighter first and foremost, that was where he learned his trade under Emmanuel Steward. Atlas didn't build him from scratch.
    Crazy the amount of people who were brought up by Kronk and Manny
    He is missed tremendously

Comment

Maybe.

But Moorer was a Kronk fighter first and foremost, that was where he learned his trade under Emmanuel Steward. Atlas didn't build him from scratch.
      I feel like he refined him though or at the very least got the best out of him.

Krona did lay the foundations though.

Comment

Teddy knows boxing very well and is a great mental trainer, he worked with a lot of very good fighters in the 80s and 90s and had great results. He's one of the last teachers in the sport that are not just fitness instructors and mitt holders.

Problem is that later in life he'd bring way too much emotion into the ring that it becomes annoying to everyone and that's why a lot of people overlook him as a trainer. But he's a great trainer and more impotantly a very passionate guy about boxing. He really put his career as a broadcastet on the line so many times by saying things he shouldn't have said but he said them amyway because it was the truth. One of the last guys who are still fighting for improvement of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Get em up View Post
          Personally I think Teddy Atlas has a great boxing mind but I think he is too opinionated on individuals to see the forest for the trees sometimes. It seems once he thinks he has a particular opinion on certain fighters nothing will ever change it.
          And its only gotten worse as he's gotten older. I used to have so much respect for Teddy Atlas up until about the last 5 years. Once he got on twitter and got a podcast, the senile in him was put on display for the world to see.

Comment

He did apprentice under the legendary Cus D'Amato. So that is a huge positive in his favor.

But did he finish his training under the master? Was his development complete before he was forced to leave the Catskills?

What was his track record of success like once he started training fighters on his own?
            - -Summarily dismissed by Cus early doors.

If U gotta ask such a dumbo ? u don't deserve to know.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              Teddy Atlas has several world champions on his resume, he's a legit trainer.

People just kind of think of him as a side show.
              I do think his personality makes people try to dismiss him as a legit trainer, his work as a boxing analyst, his work in the corner of his boxers can look emotional at times. I think he demonstrates too much passion sometimes. But he also doesn’t sugarcoat things just like Paulie, which for this snowflake generation, is too much for them to swallow.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
                Teddy knows boxing very well and is a great mental trainer, he worked with a lot of very good fighters in the 80s and 90s and had great results. He's one of the last teachers in the sport that are not just fitness instructors and mitt holders.

Problem is that later in life he'd bring way too much emotion into the ring that it becomes annoying to everyone and that's why a lot of people overlook him as a trainer. But he's a great trainer and more impotantly a very passionate guy about boxing. He really put his career as a broadcastet on the line so many times by saying things he shouldn't have said but he said them amyway because it was the truth. One of the last guys who are still fighting for improvement of the sport.
                What fighters did he work with in the 80s and 90s? Let's get a list going.

Comment

What fighters did he work with in the 80s and 90s? Let's get a list going.
                  Joey Gamache , Briggs and if I’m not mistaken he had a hand in Donny Lalonde’s career

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
                    Really?

I agree what you’re saying about Manny, the greatest trainer ever IMO.

But Teddy has definitely been good for guys, done a great job with Moorer. I thought he managed to extend Tim Bradley’s career, and I also think he improved Gvodzyk who unfortunately just ran into a wrecking ball named Beterbiev. I’d also argue Povetkin looked better with Atlas than he did without him.

He’s proven himself as a good trainer IMO.
                    Thanks for reminding me, remember when Teddy told Gvozdyk he's not actually hurt if he decides not to be? That was excellent advice for that situation.

Maybe I'm a little hard on teddy though. I'll rewatch a bit of before and after before I argue on those grounds, but, during the fights, I do think he's dog****.

Comment

Exponentially better than anyone on here.

Comment

Working...
                      X