Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rigondeaux: 118 Has Always Been My Weight; I'll Dominate Division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Rigondeaux: 118 Has Always Been My Weight; I'll Dominate Division

ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania It's highly unusual for a 39-year-old boxer to drop down to compete at a new weight. But that's exactly what Guillermo Rigondeaux will do Saturday night. The Cuban southpaw, a longtime champion at 122 pounds, will make his bantamweight debut when he opposes Panama's Liborio Solis in a 12-round fight for the vacant WBA world 118-pound championship at PPL Center.
    [Click Here To Read More]

39-year-old boxer

fighters in those low weight classes dont age well.

Comment

I wish he moved down earlier and beat Roman Gonzales at 118.

Comment

So thats why he's been fighting at 122 his whole career? Who moves down in weight at almost 40 years old?

Comment

It’s true, Rigo is more suited to 118. The guy used to walk around at 126, max. Too bad he’s 39. Not likely to be around much longer. But if he was a few years younger, he would indeed dominate the division.

Comment

Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
            So thats why he's been fighting at 122 his whole career? Who moves down in weight at almost 40 years old?
            122 had more names like Frampton, Quigg, Donaire, Mares and Santa Cruz

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
              39-year-old boxer

fighters in those low weight classes dont age well.
              He has so far....really good btw. My problem is him fighting so aggressive right now. That will be his downfall.

Comment

Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
                122 had more names like Frampton, Quigg, Donaire, Mares and Santa Cruz
                lol and he never fought any of them except Donaire. And Nonito used to fight at 118 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
                  lol and he never fought any of them except Donaire. And Nonito used to fight at 118 anyway.
                  That’s because all those guys avoided Rigo. Donaire did at first, but he manned up and look what happened. Same would’ve happened to those others. Rigo was unbeatable at 122 in those days.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
                    He has so far....really good btw. My problem is him fighting so aggressive right now. That will be his downfall.
                    That's age related - a bit like Ali - when Ali was younger (and lighter) he was hard to hit and his feet and reflexes meant he was hard to touch. As he got older and heavier, he was in range to be hit and had to rely more on his endurance.

Rigo is there now - he can't move like he used to and has to fire back more. It will make it more interesting now he can be touched as he's liable to have to trade - something he never had to do before as he could hit without being hit back.

Methinks his days are numbered as someone like Inoue (or Donaire) can chin-check him now, and not sure he has the beard and dog to stay in the trenches for long.

Comment

Working...
                    X