Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best way to build a star is by putting them through "the gauntlet", true or false

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best way to build a star is by putting them through "the gauntlet", true or false

Manny Pacquiao wins over: Barrera, Marquez, Morales, De La Hoya, Hatton, Cotto

Floyd Mayweather wins over: Hernandez, Agustus, Corrales, Castillo, Gatti, Judah, De La Hoya, Hatton

Canelo is not quite a full-blown star just yet, but he's at the edge and has a pretty solid resume for his age.

I read a post a while back where they stated that Al Haymon is trying to build stars by doing the total opposite. By pitting his soon to be "stars" against exceptionally weak opposition with good opposition every once in a while to make them look even greater than they really are. He's doing this with Danny Garcia, Errol Spence, Thurman, Broner and a few other marketable fighters. But can he accomplish the task by doing so?

For intance, what if he put Danny Garcia up against Herrera, Peterson, Broner, and some other studs and hard hitters at 140 directly after the Matthysse fight where he was coming off the biggest win of his career? Would Danny be a star by now? Or at least close to one?
    Last edited by boxingsupreme87; 07-20-2015, 12:44 AM.

I agree...

Match dudes tough everytime,,, cream will rise to the top..

Haymon isn't doing much of it yet with pbc but everytime he has with degale/dirrell, ghost/thurman, danny/Peterson, they have been good fights..

Stars are born by having great fights... I say match guys tough... Every other sport is ran like that,,,
    Super Bowl champs usually have 3 or more losses... I would much rather have guys be 22-3 and have fought best possible guys than a 25-0 guy with nothing but cherrypicks...

Comment

Froch made himself a star by fighting all the top dogs,,, more fighters need to be like him

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Froch made himself a star by fighting all the top dogs,,, more fighters need to be like him
        And Haymon has a lot of the top opposition at 140 and 147.

He wants to make stars out of all of them, Thurman, Broner, Spence, Garcia, but what he should be doing is matching them all tough, even against each other if needed and see who comes out top dog.

Then he can work on the second guy and go from there to start building stars.

Comment

Fighting already established stars are how stars are born.

Comment

LIsten, it's ok to build fighters, but keep the Prospect Padding "AIR time" to complete minimum.

I'm talking about guys getting on TV fighting a bum they paid in fruit baskets off the street. Whats the point?

The young fighters who are ready for the step up, to test themselves against another fighter, as young or as hungry as he is. Those are the fights that should be on Television. We get hidden gems.
            Most importantly, the fighters learn from those kinds of fights, they learn nothing from beating on people that don't belong there in the first place.

These bum parades they have going on on PBC/HBO/SHOW/ is a complete insult to all boxing fans.

We have a these Padding stations like "Solo Boxeo", "ESPN" for a reason, USE IT!

Side with the boxing fans, f@k the promoters, look out for you.

Demand Quality.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingsupreme87 View Post
              And Haymon has a lot of the top opposition at 140 and 147.

He wants to make stars out of all of them, Thurman, Broner, Spence, Garcia, but what he should be doing is matching them all tough, even against each other if needed and see who comes out top dog.

Then he can work on the second guy and go from there to start building stars.
              I like pbc but I think they missed a huge opportunity when they launched..

They should have held 4 man tournaments for their own pbc belts, similar to what bellator did early in its launch..

140 pbc championship tourney broner, Peterson, lucas, danny

147 thurman, khan, Porter, ghost

160- Jacobs, quillen, lee, wade

If those were the first few pbc cards, fans would be stoked, and it would legitimize guys

Once champs are crowned you can use tourneys to determine #1 contenders, while the champ has a voluntary title defense..

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                Fighting already established stars are how stars are born.
                Very true in boxing and pro wrestling... You need a win over a star...

Tarver needed jones

Jones needed toney

Oscar best chavez n pernell, and then Oscar made shane, floyd, manny...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Very true in boxing and pro wrestling... You need a win over a star...

Tarver needed jones

Jones needed toney

Oscar best chavez n pernell, and then Oscar made shane, floyd, manny...
                  Ain't nobody beating Floyd but if the rumors are true and Bob matches Pac with Crawford, we could see a new star in the rising. That boy already has a nice resume

Comment

I get what you're saying. It makes sense; like Adam said the cream will rise.

Spence is one of them, give him a chance and I think he will shine.

Comment

Working...
                    X