Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this proof Mikey Garcia ducked Loma, in contrast to "choosing Spence over Loma"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I’ve heard everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
      I don't care what OP said.

If Mikey loses to Loma the fight with Spence is gone.

If Mikey loses to Spence the fight with Loma is still there.

It's not any more complicated than that. Mikey is a prize fighter and he's fighting to maximine his prize.
      This ^. 'Course there are factors that could make it more difficult to make the Loma fight second depending on Mikey's performance against Spence and weight issues etc - but nothing insurmountable. Losing to Loma would kill the Spence fight dead and there isn't really any other obvious big paydays out there for Mikey outside of Loma and Spence. Mikey's said he's only looking for a few more fights and wants to maximise his paydays.

Comment

Everybody’s ducking Loma blah blah blah. Loma chose the wrong team and network. Sure Loma wants the fights no question but it’s always got to be on his terms. Gotta fight at his weight and on his network. If you don’t then you’re a ducker. But the thought of Loma switching networks in order to land a big fight never even gets brought up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
          Everybody’s ducking Loma blah blah blah. Loma chose the wrong team and network. Sure Loma wants the fights no question but it’s always got to be on his terms. Gotta fight at his weight and on his network. If you don’t then you’re a ducker. But the thought of Loma switching networks in order to land a big fight never even gets brought up.
          This is just lie. Loma's best weight is obviously 130, not 135. He already went up, chasing Garcia.

Comment

Originally posted by mick1303 View Post
            This is just lie. Loma's best weight is obviously 130, not 135. He already went up, chasing Garcia.
            He went up because there was no competition at 130.

Comment

Bob Arum doesn't wanna let Mikey fight Loma plain and simple. He didn't wanna engage in the complex negotiations necessary to make sure both fighters get paid and he is on record of saying so himself. Spence is obviously the much more harder fight on the body. The fight with Loma won't happen because of Arum and we all know that's why since we follow the sport of boxing. This isn't rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
                TL;DR version: I commend Mikey for fighting Spence, but that's irrelevant to the question of whether he ducked Loma or not, because the choice was never "Loma or Spence." There were always TWO choices. 1. "Do you want to fight Loma in your career?" and 2. "Do you want to fight Spence in your career?" Mikey said yes to 2 but no to 1. Why? Because as Mikey has said, he sees flaws in Spence that caused him to call for that fight. I guess he doesn't see flaws in Loma.

Fighting Spence was only a choice for Mikey until he decided he wanted to fight Spence in the future. At that point, the choice was already made, and Mikey could have gotten the Spence fight at any point in the next 2-3 years, before Spence moved up from 147. At that point, the only choice became, "Do I also want to fight Loma in my career, as well as Spence, or do I want to avoid Loma for all my career, and only fight Spence and whoever else?"

Because Loma's team has already said, 135 is his limit. He already moved up twice, in his late twenties at that when he was already fully grown, to chase Mikey Garcia. That should have been more than enough. Meanwhile Robert Garcia, Mikey's trainer and brother, said Mikey will never fight at 135 again after Spence, win or lose. So that means the moment Mikey chose to go to 147 to fight Spence, before taking care of business at 135 first with just one more fight, Mikey Garcia killed the Loma fight for good.

If you want to fight both Loma and Spence in your career, you fight Loma first at 135, then Spence at 147 after. If you don't want to fight Loma in your career, then you jump to 147 before fighting him, and have your team say you will never go back to 135, after you already heard Loma's team say 135 is his limit.

So it seems quite clear cut to me, actually. Mikey Garcia ducked Loma, which in hindsight, is not surprising, because both were at 126, Mikey moved up, Loma followed him to 130, Mikey basically retired, Loma followed him to 135, and now Mikey just said ***** it, if I go all the way to 147, he can't follow me anymore, because I am way bigger than him and the only reason we've even been in the same weight class repeatedly so far is because he fights at close to his natural weight while I drain down more than almost anyone in boxing to get an advantage. So I like Mikey as a fighter but I don't see how anyone can be a fan of his after this move. He blatantly ducked someone at least 20 pounds naturally smaller than him.
                Anyone who thinks that Mikey ducked Loma needs to go to rehab.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
                  My only minor correction is that Loma is unquestionably better than Spence. Spence is definitely a bigger threat because he's a JMW fighting in the WW division, but pound for pound Loma is one of the best 2-3 fighters on the planet. Spence isn't even a Top 25 fighter...or, if you know anything about boxing, he isn't. Or at least he hasn't shown it yet (and I don't think he will)
                  Spence's resume is better than Loma's..

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                    You aren't very logical on this subject. Spence is ten times more dangerous than Loma. I think Mikey will get KOed in 6 rounds or less. Mikey thinks he can win. He isn't fighting the much bigger and much harder punching Spence to get out of fighting the smaller lighter punching Loma. That makes zero sense. Everybody wants to fight Loma. Loma is very good but he is not scary. Nobody but Mikey wants to fight Spence because he is scary.Mikey doesn't have to fight a killer like Spence to get out of fighting Loma. All he has to do is just so no to the Loma fight and not fight Spence either. Maybe Mikey is having trouble making 135 and doesn't want to fight at that weight anymore.
                    I don't know cause a few fighters against Loma were scared to finish the fight. I wonder if the spence/Garcia fight will really happen
                    Last edited by nacho daddy; 01-02-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike818 View Post
                      Yet, Salido was able to beat him down because Loma can’t take a punch and ran the whole time.
                      salido beat Loma down?? salido was on the verge of getting KO'd last couple of rounds. whatever drugs you are taking you can became a millionaire selling them

Comment

Working...
                      X