Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who had the worst first Defeat Naseem or Broner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both were bad. Naz ducked JMM to fight Barerra though, and got his ass beat so badly he retired and ballooned up to 300lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
      The point is, people here saying Naseem lost to a HOF'er. He didn't. Barrera hadn't achieved nearly that much when they fought, which is why he was the underdog. Hamed was the one considered a 'great' at that time. And he did beat Morales, now did he?

These are facts. Hamed got upset by a decent fighter with basic skill (as exposed later by Manny Pacquiao, who went into that first fight the underdog).

It's funny. Barrera gets credit for 'almost' beating Morales, but Porter gets no credit for almost beating Thurman and Spence.

So inconsistent
      He had achieved a hell of a lot more than Maidana and was regarded as top tier fighter, him and Naseem were regarded as two of the best young prospects in boxing as far back as 94-95. I've already listed Barrera's achievements pre-hamed.

The bold tells me everything I need to know about your knowledge of that time...embarrassing ignorant statement. He may have had a stylistic problem with Pacquiao and he lost both fights one sided, but his pedigree is unquestionable. He has 4 wins over near or in their prime HOFers, Morales x2, Tapia, Hamed. And a highly competitive loss to JMM when Barrera was past his best, he put Marquez down.

Most within boxing thought Barrera would outbox Hamed and get clipped...Barrera's performance before Naseem was against Jesus Salud, it was scary good. Manny Steward commentated on it and categorically said

"we have our hands full, we cant outbox that kid, we have to walk him onto a power shot"

Yes Hamed was the heavy fav but that was more about the special punching power he had, and his ability to land it.

Your last paragraph is not in the slightest bit relevant to the thread. You are confused and dont really know too much about this in all honesty.

Whether you look at it at the time or revisionist, there is no question that Broner's loss was worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Ca$ual Fan View Post
        Dude if you really know Barrera and Morales trilogy, almost everybody think the 1st fight was a gift decision for Morales. Even the WBO (Barerra’s belt) was refused to be awarded to the ‘winner’ Morales. So yeah, Barrera won 1st fight but not in the scorecards. Porter’s close decision loses are far from cryout compared to the Barrera’s supposed win

The Thurman and Spence win against Porter were never considered gift wins

Edit: Are you saying Hamed had a win against Morales?
        No, I'm saying what I always say.

"At the end of the day", who's hand was raised?

Fairly certain it was Morales.

In terms of SIGNATURE WINS AT THAT TIME, Barrera was where Crawford is now. He was not a HOF'er. He was a huge underdog, period.

What I'm saying is, Hamed quit because of that loss. Broner didn't. I have more respect for Broner than Hamed, even when Broner no longer lets his hands go. I think he really just wants to rematch that loss against Maidana, he talked about it. He just doesn't care about any other fight.

I respect that. Unlike Manny who wanted no part of a rematch with Horn after getting called out.

Hamed could have kept fighting, his last fight was a decision blowout against a nobody and he was still in his prime. But he quit the business. Just like Michael Spinks. I can't stand it when quality fighters quit the business just because they take a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
          He had achieved a hell of a lot more than Maidana and was regarded as top tier fighter, him and Naseem were regarded as two of the best young prospects in boxing as far back as 94-95. I've already listed Barrera's achievements pre-hamed.

The bold tells me everything I need to know about your knowledge of that time...embarrassing ignorant statement. He may have had a stylistic problem with Pacquiao and he lost both fights one sided, but his pedigree is unquestionable. He has 4 wins over near or in their prime HOFers, Morales x2, Tapia, Hamed. And a highly competitive loss to JMM when Barrera was past his best, he put Marquez down.

Most within boxing thought Barrera would outbox Hamed and get clipped...Barrera's performance before Naseem was against Jesus Salud, it was scary good. Manny Steward commentated on it and categorically said

"we have our hands full, we cant outbox that kid, we have to walk him onto a power shot"

Yes Hamed was the heavy fav but that was more about the special punching power he had, and his ability to land it.

Your last paragraph is not in the slightest bit relevant to the thread. You are confused and dont really know too much about this in all honesty.

Whether you look at it at the time or revisionist, there is no question that Broner's loss was worse.
          Give me a break.

Barrera couldn't half do twice what Marquez did FOUR times. That's not style, that's skill.

AT THAT TIME, Barrera was a decent fighter at best. He was the Terence Crawford of that period - talented, no signature wins before Hamed and only a few after Hamed.

It's not his fault.

Morales got schooled by Zahir Raheem fresh off of beating Manny.

Zahir Raheem got taken out by Ali Funeka.

Freddie Norwood schooled Marquez, then got outdirtied by Smoke Gainer.

Back then it was hard to stay undefeated. Damn near everyone was a hungry fighter. But skill for skill, Barrera was not in the same class until later in his career. There's nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Hamed without a doubt. His career had already taken off prior to meeting Barrera while Broner did not have any real significant wins yet against the elite level. I mean, Hamed blasted Kevin Kelly, that has to count for something right?

The way Barrera broke him apart and the final bell rung, you could see in his face, his invincibility was gone and left him. He knew he had lost.

He had, what? 1 mediocre comeback fight and retired. At least Broner kept at it with a few more mediocre performances. Even enough to get him a fight with Pacquiao.

While I think for sure Hamed could have continued and had PLENTY left in the tank to do so, if his passion had left, everything you knew about him would have left with him. It's just a shame because there were plenty more mouth watering fights for him to be made (Morales, Marquez, Pac).

Comment

Working...
            X