Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 12-18-2018, 11:42 AM #11
Amateur

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
NomiNee has a reputation beyond reputeNomiNee has a reputation beyond reputeNomiNee has a reputation beyond reputeNomiNee has a reputation beyond reputeNomiNee has a reputation beyond reputeNomiNee has a reputation beyond reputeNomiNee has a reputation beyond reputeNomiNee has a reputation beyond reputeNomiNee has a reputation beyond reputeNomiNee has a reputation beyond reputeNomiNee has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,025.25
Total Points: 6,218.57

Lack of defence training is typical in most gyms, unfortunately. Some trainers focus more on that aspect, some doesn't. So, always keep that in mind to work more on defensive actions. Trainers whose boxers compete on a decent level focus more on defense and know more about its importance. My advice is, you should find a new gym or maybe there's other groups, with different trainers and boxers.
"who'd just hit my head repeatedly because my guard was complete ass and I got a concussion after only a few sparring sessions when someone clocked my right on the lower jaw at full force." - And remember no matter how good your guard is, you will get punched bad if you don't give something back. Best thing is to catch your opponent couple of times while he's throwing at you, and I assure you, after that he will be more hesitant to throw a punch with a full commitment. So good offence, serves as a defense too. In boxing these two components are blended. Sorry for my clunky English. Take care.
NomiNee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-19-2018, 12:38 PM #12
Up and Comer

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
scbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,061.68
Total Points: 7,159.67

When you throw your hands should come back to your head as quick as you throw your punches.
scbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:18 AM #13

Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,127.16
Total Points: 36,076.82
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbb View Post
When you throw your hands should come back to your head as quick as you throw your punches.
Great to see you Scbb...
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:48 AM #14
Contender

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
tcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,527.38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velerean View Post
Hello,

I've been boxing for about a year now and I only started sparring 1 month ago. I basically spent that entire time training offensive skills and movement, but I've had absolutely no defensive training during that time. The only thing I know to do is keep my hands up and try to block punches being thrown my way.

When I first got into the ring I dealt with some merciless ****ers who'd just hit my head repeatedly because my guard was complete ass and I got a concussion after only a few sparring sessions when someone clocked my right on the lower jaw at full force. I took some time off and came back asking my trainer if we could do defense work and he keeps telling me not to worry about it and that it will just come naturally as I spend time in the ring.

I don't understand this mentality at all. I joined this gym because I thought it had a more serious approach to boxing than the other gyms in town, but now that I've seen their methods I can't help but think that they're extremely flawed. How can someone possibly be prepared to get into the ring if they have no idea how to slip a punch. I didn't even know what a counter punch was until I got hit by one.
Definitely find a new gym. You should have been taught how to slip and roll and at minimum should be drilling those in during training while working with a partner or a trainer on mitts.

Of course these skills are refined in sparring (light and hard sparring at times), but your body should know the movements so that it will know how to do them in sparring naturally. What you drill and train is how you will end up sparring. You should be getting out of range at the end of every combination you throw on the mitts and heavy bag, with movement backward or to either side horizontally and it could be combined with a slip a roll or jab.

The gym I trained at the guys didn't necessarily take it super easy on me when I first started sparring, but I started sparring after my first week, and while it isn't usually recommended I knew that I needed to get that experience first hand to figure out exactly what i should be drilling at home in supplement to my times at the boxing gym. But the guys didn't try to hurt me, and while I was never "rocked" or had my bell rung, if I had, I'm certain that they wouldn't have followed it up with more punches.

So long story short, find a new gym.
tcbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:30 PM #15

Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 36,076.82
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbender View Post
Definitely find a new gym. You should have been taught how to slip and roll and at minimum should be drilling those in during training while working with a partner or a trainer on mitts.
^^^^^^^^^
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:56 PM #16
Up and Comer

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
scbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond reputescbb has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,061.68
Total Points: 7,159.67

Great to see you as well OctoberRed, I just started training again last Saturday. Came in Healthy, plan on fighting Masters at age 58. I will be more active on this forum as a result. I will try to post some of my sparring which I will start next month. To out of shape right now.
scbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
defence, gyms?, lack, training, typical

User Tag List