Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 06-03-2018, 12:27 PM #11
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
StefanTosic has a reputation beyond reputeStefanTosic has a reputation beyond reputeStefanTosic has a reputation beyond reputeStefanTosic has a reputation beyond reputeStefanTosic has a reputation beyond reputeStefanTosic has a reputation beyond reputeStefanTosic has a reputation beyond reputeStefanTosic has a reputation beyond reputeStefanTosic has a reputation beyond reputeStefanTosic has a reputation beyond reputeStefanTosic has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,045.91
Total Points: 8,561.53
Thanks for the green K - Boxing Goat 

It's all about getting used to it and the experience of actually doing it.

I remember there was a guy from my club, but training in the other gym with the other coach (my club has 2 different boxing gyms under the same roof), who I used to spar with a couple of times just in front of his coach, so I was very relaxed, as I always am in the ring. I didn't have a single amateur bout, while he already had some amateur bouts under his belt. I used to outbox him all the time.

Than the time came where I started preparing for my first competition and we had the sparring day in front of all the couches from our gym, their coleagues and the president of the club. It was like nothing before. Plus, as I never used to go hard on my opponents, this time my coach told me to go for the kill. Right away I started throwing wild bombs (and missing them), I couldn't land a single punch on him, despite honestly knowing I had the better skills and knowing that he never went easy on me during our previous sparring sessions when I used to outbox him. The difference was this time I was under this kind of pressure for the first time in the boxing ring.

Last edited by StefanTosic; 06-03-2018 at 12:34 PM.
StefanTosic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-03-2018, 09:16 PM #12
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
b morph has a reputation beyond reputeb morph has a reputation beyond reputeb morph has a reputation beyond reputeb morph has a reputation beyond reputeb morph has a reputation beyond reputeb morph has a reputation beyond reputeb morph has a reputation beyond reputeb morph has a reputation beyond reputeb morph has a reputation beyond reputeb morph has a reputation beyond reputeb morph has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,121.55
Total Points: 23,612.50
Stick it in your a55 lolololol - Pretty Boy32 Upping them skills.  Good job, man. - anthonydavid11 Keep up the good fight fella - BrometheusBob. You're A OK in my book here. - anthonydavid11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbender View Post
Making someone feel that pressure is a skill. When I spar with Juan, a former pro who taught pro boxers down in Mexico, he just has a skill of making me feel pressure unlike anyone else that I spar with. I don't think it's a psychological thing, but he's extremely good at cutting off the ring and I feel like I need to throw just to try to keep him at bay. Usually I'm the aggressor and moving forward, and I do that with Juan, but he definitely is much better at ring generalship than the other guys I spar.
I actually had someone tell me the exact same thing. He told me that he always feels like he needs to throw a lot against me.
b morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:49 AM #13
Up and Comer

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Ren28 has a reputation beyond reputeRen28 has a reputation beyond reputeRen28 has a reputation beyond reputeRen28 has a reputation beyond reputeRen28 has a reputation beyond reputeRen28 has a reputation beyond reputeRen28 has a reputation beyond reputeRen28 has a reputation beyond reputeRen28 has a reputation beyond reputeRen28 has a reputation beyond reputeRen28 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 6,101.00

This whole post is why running can go to hell. Sparring/shadow boxing/heavy bag work is the way to go... I always want to stay in tune with my craft. can't do that running.
Ren28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:58 AM #14
Up and Comer

Coyote142 will become famous soon enough
Bank: 1,005.00
Total Points: 6,195.34

Wow great responses guys!

After much mediation after that sparring sessions, I've decided that experience is the only key ingredient I am missing. Everything else will come with it. I guess I am going through growing pains.
Coyote142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:28 PM #15
Up and Comer

Just got done sparring this morning. Concentrated on staying relaxed and quit throwing looping punches. My coach says it was the best round i had since I have been there, I was still tired as hell after three rounds though. I will keep progressing though and just keep doing whatever my coach tells me too. For now just concentrating on throwing double jab right cross and mixing in body shots. I enjoy throwing those big hooks and it feels good, but after looking at video of myself you i look like an idiot doing it. Got a video of myself sparring today, I will upload it later and let yall critique me.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:20 PM #16
Contender

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Hnnnggg will become famous soon enoughHnnnggg will become famous soon enough
Bank: 1,144.15
Total Points: 7,692.94

Honestly nerves, there are guys Iím not too concerned with, the rounds seem to fly by. Then there are guys who are far above me, that Iíve noticed fatigue quickly sets in. Most likely because Iím overreacting in every exchange. The more comfortable you get the less energy you expend.
Hnnnggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:19 PM #17

Quoted: 3893 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 35,105.29
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnnnggg View Post
Honestly nerves, there are guys Iím not too concerned with, the rounds seem to fly by. Then there are guys who are far above me, that Iíve noticed fatigue quickly sets in. Most likely because Iím overreacting in every exchange. The more comfortable you get the less energy you expend.
Which is why I try to stay as calm as possible regardless of the situation.
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:07 AM #18
Up and Comer

Got the videos from yesterday, i look like crap. This was one of the rounds. Also here are the things I already know:
1) Dont ever dip my head down and throw looping hooks again
2) Dont move my head sideways and back when getting hit
3) Don't move my head back and leave my chin exposed when moving back
4) Maintain my poise, feet position and balance at all times
5) Be quicker...lol
6) Throw more combos and quit hesitating/worrying about the other guys punches
7) Quit covering up when im getting hit and look at my opponent. (That is my biggest thing right now, trying to get over that mental hurdle)

I am the taller guy in the green shirt, I am sparring a guy who has been training a lot longer than me but is shorter/smaller. (I am 5'9 168 pounds) Critique away boys.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

Last edited by Coyote142; 06-05-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:45 PM #19

Quoted: 3893 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 35,105.29
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote142 View Post
Got the videos from yesterday, i look like crap. This was one of the rounds. Also here are the things I already know:
1) Dont ever dip my head down and throw looping hooks again
2) Dont move my head sideways and back when getting hit
3) Don't move my head back and leave my chin exposed when moving back
4) Maintain my poise, feet position and balance at all times
5) Be quicker...lol
6) Throw more combos and quit hesitating/worrying about the other guys punches
7) Quit covering up when im getting hit and look at my opponent. (That is my biggest thing right now, trying to get over that mental hurdle)

I am the taller guy in the green shirt, I am sparring a guy who has been training a lot longer than me but is shorter/smaller. (I am 5'9 168 pounds) Critique away boys.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
There are def some holes in the defense, but you see that full well already.
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
buring, calm, energy, staying

User Tag List