No announcement yet.

Anthony Johnson Moves to Middleweight, Will Face Vitor Belfort at UFC 142

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Johnson Moves to Middleweight, Will Face Vitor Belfort at UFC 142

Anthony Johnson has finally made the step most felt was inevitable, moving up a division to middleweight.

It won't take him long to get tested at his new home. The fearsome slugger will step right into the upper echelon of the division when he takes on Vitor Belfort at UFC 142.

The promotion confirmed the matchup on Tuesday.

Johnson has spent his entire UFC career at 170 pounds, though he's struggled to make weight on more than one occasion. The timing of the move comes as a bit of a surprise though, as Johnson returned from a 16-month absence earlier this year and got off to a 2-0 start with wins over Dan Hardy and Charlie Brenneman.

Belfort would represent his highest-ranked opponent since losing to Josh Koscheck in November 2009.

Johnson is 10-3 overall with seven knockouts, and has won five of his last six.

Belfort recently rebounded from a UFC 126 title fight loss to Anderson Silva by knocking out Yoshihiro Akiyama in August. That upped his record to 20-9.

UFC 142 will take place on January 14 from a yet-to-be determined location in Brazil. The only other officially announced bout is a featherweight title bout with champion Jose Aldo attempting to defend his belt against Chad Mendes. By Mike Chiappetta

I think the middle weight division is in desperate need of an injection fresh talent, i like the move by Johnson.

Id love to see Diaz or Shields move up sometime in the future.

Finally. He should have did that before laying on Hardy for 3 rounds.

He's a better fit at MW anyways. Vitor will probably bum rush him though as Johnson hates to be hit. If he is touched hard in the slightest way, he stiffens up like crazy.

Comment

wow, it took him long enough. I'm pretty sure he has already taken off 5 years of his career just from cutting all that weight for the last couple of fights. he walked around at like 220 and cut to make 170 lol. He even fainted before one of his weigh-ins.

Even for MW he's gonna look huge.

Wouldn't be surprised if he looks like a completely different fighter when he fights Belfort.

Comment

Hoping its a good move for him hope he looks looser since you'd think he'd have more cardio. Since he does look hesitant at times at ww being afraid to gas. Hope its a good explosive fight but if Johnson wouldn't trade with hardy I doubt he would with belfort. I see aj trying to wrestle but belfort knocking him out anyways

Comment

Vitor is going to get KTFO.

Rumble is a monster.

Comment

I think a non weight drained Rumble Johnson is defiantly a scary thing. Cant wait to see him at 185

Comment

I think Belfort knocks him out, but it's possible that he gets laid on for 3 rounds.

10/1 odds, 500M says Vitor doesn't get knocked out or submitted. If he loses by decision I win. Anyone want it?

Comment

im hong this works out out for rumble i thought he was sick at 170 but maybe a lil more naturel kinda 185 will help the cause this guy is a freak being able to cut they way he does.... rumble young man rumble!

Comment

hoping* in case you didnt ge the just of that

Comment

Rumble is HUGE! 6'2 and 79 inch reach, 220 when he isn't fat.....
                    He should have never cut down to 170.
                    His cardio was horrible there and that was is his main weakness.
                    Great wrestling, great muay thai and brutal power(which should increase with his move).

I think he has a chance in this fight if he can get past the first round

Comment

Working...
                    X