Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it wrong to root for a fighter just because he is the same race or ethnicity?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't say it's racist
    Just passion
    Put it this way....I'm part Italian....yet **** Italy and boxing
    No racism just Italian boxers suck

Comment

no, there is nothing wrong with that.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with rooting for your own people.

Most of the black posters here (Big Dunn, Kigali, CanaloMaidana, SkillsPayBills, etc) always root for black boxers and that's okay with me.

Sadly, I find there is often a double standard: it's okay if blacks always support blacks, but if you are a white person who supports whites they'll accuse you of belonging to the KKK!

I'm white and I nearly always root for white boxers, unless he's someone of bad character (for example, someone who beats up women like Braehmer or LaMotta) or a pathetic loser (like Malignaggi).

What I disapprove of is someone hating his own people and always rooting against them. Such people are sickening, weak-minded dirtbags.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonSpinxMwfpce View Post
          No. Not at all. But don't front about it. Just be real. If I like a Mexican fighter just because hes Mexican, you can't do anything about it. If white boy Billy likes Carl Frampton just because hes white, so what? If a black dude likes Errol Spence just because hes black, cool. There is nothing wrong with liking something that you are familiar and comfortable with. Just don't pretend that isn't the reason. Be a man about your **** and stay true. Seems like alot of dudes here are afraid to admit it. It doesn't make you racist. It just makes you glad and happy that someone you can relate to is a success. If you are biased because of it, so what? We know you're biased because of it anyways. Trying to hide it and make it seem otherwise just makes you look stupid. There is nothing wrong of being proud of who you are, and people who look like you. If there is, tell me why its wrong.

Comment

absolutely nothing wrong with that

i do, however, have a problem with 'fans' that use an inverted version of that fanhood and root AGAINST fighters just because they're not the same race

as for me, i root for any fighter that entertains me and i will root against any fighter who i think sucks...regardless of race

Comment

I guess it comes down to the root of why you feel the need to cheer for one person over another just because they are the same race/ethnicity or whatever as you. If you view it as liking to see "your people" succeed, I guess that's one thing. If you get so wrapped up in it that you feel negative towards other races who face your fighters then yeah, its messed up. If you ALWAYS support someone based only on race/ethnicity, its just weird man. Deeper than that (like say if you are Black and would have hated Asians if Manny would have beat Floyd) you have issues. I don't get people who feel like this, who believe this. I just don't. Just like the city I was born in not defining which sports teams I support. I have free will. I was born in America but my favorite fighters tend to be from Mexico and around Russia.

Comment

I'm not gonna deny that Canelo, Golovkin, Kovalev, Frampton and Lomachenko don't get my backing partly because they're white, because that's part of the reason. It's not the only reason, though. I like their styles and I think they all bring excitement to a fight, except for Canelo when he's fighting a runner because he never cuts off the ring. I wish he would do this. It would save him a lot of time. Golovkin is aggressive but he's smart about it with his positioning. Kovalev is just a damned beast from Siberia who looks like he could hurt anybody given the chance. Frampton is a slick Irishman who's fun to watch. Lomachenko to me, will someday be a legend. The guy is on another level from the other guys IMO. So many skills. A fight with Rigo would be great as both are highly skilled. And no. I'm not hoping my white fighter is protected from Rigo. I want to see them fight to see who would win. Loma's already had a loss anyway.
                And yes, I was a fan of the Klitschkos at first because they were white. However, I was impressed over the years with what they managed to do. Love them or hate them, they dominated the division for over five years.
                And of course, I can name several white fighters I didn't like- Bobby Czyz, Joey Gamache, Sean Fitzgerald(a nobody an old Duran crushed, a real punk), Arthur Abraham, Malignaggi.

Comment

To be honest, this forum, NSB especially, is a sh#thole.

You have guys who have been criticising an offensive minded fighters for being face first brawlers etc.

And yet they praise and defend Wilder (a joke of a fighter), Thurman (still not sold on him) and Spence (he's the goods).

On the other side of the fence we have f#ggots who bash fighters like Rigo for running and being boring and yet when he fought Crawford they sided with Postol (a never was who never will be) who between the two is the more boring fighter.

This forum is filled with insecure, racist, genuinely stupid little b#tches.

But hey, it's the internet...

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
                    I guess it comes down to the root of why you feel the need to cheer for one person over another just because they are the same race/ethnicity or whatever as you. If you view it as liking to see "your people" succeed, I guess that's one thing. If you get so wrapped up in it that you feel negative towards other races who face your fighters then yeah, its messed up. If you ALWAYS support someone based only on race/ethnicity, its just weird man. Deeper than that (like say if you are Black and would have hated Asians if Manny would have beat Floyd) you have issues. I don't get people who feel like this, who believe this. I just don't. Just like the city I was born in not defining which sports teams I support. I have free will. I was born in America but my favorite fighters tend to be from Mexico and around Russia.
                    I agree. If it's two guys I don't know in the ring, I'm not for either until I see the first round. Usually the aggressive guy gets my vote, unless he walks straight in like an idiot. I mean, it can come down to several factors. Race is pretty much out the window. I can appreciate seeing a fighter of my ethnicity come up, but it all depends on who he is fighting etc. If you had Canelo-Trinidad, I'd be for Trinidad all day. Was a huge fan. If you had Canelo-De La Hoya, Canelo all day. I like Canelo, never liked DLH. When Chavez, Sr. fought Tszyu, I wanted Chavez, Sr. to win. At that point, no way he was going to, but I didn't root for Tszyu because he was white. If Fury-Wilder happened, I'd root for Fury, but I must say, it wouldn't be about race. It would be about Fury being more skilled and more entertaining and Wilder being nothing more than a right hand, IMO. So really, when it gets down to it, race doesn't factor in a lot, once you know the fighters. I doubt there are many white people out there who would rather watch a young Klitschko over a young Mike Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Mc,Lovin View Post
                      Can't say it's racist
                      Just passion
                      Put it this way....I'm part Italian....yet **** Italy and boxing
                      No racism just Italian boxers suck
                      Lol holy **** you're Aldo fcukin loser

Comment

Working...
                      X