Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a win over Gonzales show just how good Loma is.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LomaUsykKlichko View Post
    Oh so lowblowing is now imposing your will
    Come on, bro. Salido did a lot more than just throw low blows.

You're better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
      Shall we go one step further and say how good it shows Salido is?

Or not because you're not a Salido fan
      Salido was a fairly good fighter. He never really got credit for how good he was. Throwing Loma in with him was crazy.

Comment

I think its only natural that his win over Russell looks better if Russell goes on to have a successful top flight career.

For example look at how much lower people hold Calzaghe's win over Lacy now than when he beat him, and how much better his win over Hopkins looks.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe Loma matched up really well with Russell? Maybe Russell matched up really well with Gonzalez? Maybe Jhonny's not that good? Or maybe he is and both Loma and Russell are future hall of famers?

Who the fuck knows? Boxing fans are always trying to make definitive statements based on limited evidence. Loma and Russell are 26/27 years old. Time will tell how good they are.

Comment

Why are people acting like a Gonzales win was that impressive? Gonzales was a past his prime fighter who happened to pull an upset. He was the underdog vs Russel for a reason

Comment

Originally posted by Deeznuts View Post
              Why are people acting like a Gonzales win was that impressive? Gonzales was a past his prime fighter who happened to pull an upset. He was the underdog vs Russel for a reason
              He was a big underdog against Mares as well. A lot of fans - me included - expected Mares to dominate Jhonny, who was regarded as a shopworn fighter coming off poor performances.

Comment

^^^^ agree, Gonzales didn't even look good.in his defense following his ko win over mares. He's been declined

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  Come on, bro. Salido did a lot more than just throw low blows.

You're better than that.
                  If Salido was deducted points as he should have been for the repeated low blows, he would have lost the fight...which suggests no, he didn't do much more. A fair result for that fight would have been a draw, as Loma probably didn't do quite enough to win clearly himself either. In any case, I don't think any fighter could have beaten a seasoned, veteran champ like Salido in their second pro fight, especially if we also take into account the weight advantage Salido had on the night. The result is a blot on Loma's resume for now, but in fact he can take a lot of positives from that in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Deeznuts View Post
                    In hindsight it all makes sense now, but I think a lot of us (myself included) romanticized his upset win over Mares and underrated GRJ after his loss to Loma.

Comment

No. Styles make fights. If you can't watch Loma and see for yourself how good he is then that's your issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X